Author Topic: Cheap rentals are back.  (Read 14476 times)

Offline Jonno

Re: Cheap rentals are back.
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2020, 09:38:18 pm »
there is a way of going around it with a legal agreement which says something like you are renting the plate for life for 1500, and upon your death you will bequeth it. i think rat has the template for that agreement, maybe he can share it here.
Thought it was just next of kin you could leave it to? Imagine inheriting a taxi plate!

Sent from my T770H using Tapatalk

Offline U Wha

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2020, 12:55:01 am »
Here gents I'll repeat myself, this is good advice I think..

Go to your bank and ask them for a COVID loan.The government is guaranteeing 80% of the debt so the banks have no reason to refuse you.If you've been paying rental prices before and during covid any bank official can see yis have ability to pay.Dont go spending 30/40k but 12k is all you need to get your own wheely and your own plate.Plenty of drivers dropping out so it's a good time to buy if you insist on working.

It would be if we are eligible but I have a feeling from reading this is that we are not.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:05:47 am by U Wha »

Offline U Wha

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2020, 01:00:18 am »
Maybe stupid question but here goes.....
Do you need to wait for a wav grant scheme to be announced to get a wav license,or can you get one anytime(just not with the few grand back).

First few years they ran the grant scheme the closing dates were earlier but now closing date is 31st October unless all funds have been dispersed. That would be unlikely this year.

So grants can be applied for most of the year but not guaranteed to be there every year and they may move away from WAT grants towards electric and hybrid grants especially with the Greens in Government.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Information_Guide_for_WAV20_Grant_Scheme_2020.pdf

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2020, 09:28:41 am »
I just saw yer link U wha thanks...this is probably bad advice for balance...if you're willing to take a chance most credit cards would stretch to 10/12k.If you cleared it in a year or two you'd still be better off than renting.Bit of risk involved but you'd own yer own heap once it's paid off.With the interest rate you'd be motivated to work the 6/7 days a week.

Offline U Wha

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2020, 02:28:58 am »
Helps if I actually read the ad I posted.

And if people reading your posts actually answered your question too ( Like I didn't)

Maybe stupid question but here goes.....
Do you need to wait for a wav grant scheme to be announced to get a wav license,or can you get one anytime(just not with the few grand back).

So to answer your question...Yes you can apply for a WAT licence regardless of grants, but with Covid it is really slow.

My brother applied for a limo licence months ago and between the NTA losing his postal/money order, sending the application back and forth for whatever reason it still hasn't been processed. He sent it just before Covid and with all the jigs and reels ended up cancelling the application and staying where he was.

Offline U Wha

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2020, 02:21:27 am »
So I did the deed...

Signed up with the Lynk rent to buy contract on a 2012 WAT Peugeot Partner. The deal is fairly straightforward. It suits Lynk as they can off load excess rental vehicles and even though it may not be the best time it works for me. I will use it as my daily driver during the week and work FN at weekends to cover the costs. Midweek I will continue as an agency HGV driver until it picks up. The way I see it Lynk wouldn't have ever done this if Covid hadn't happened and they won't do it in the future when things start to normalise. So all about timing and keeping the head down and all going well early 2022 it will be mine and it will be good for another five years god willing. That new insurance crowd Zego brought my insurance costs down by €3k and they don't fit anything to the car. You have to download an app which they don't even have ready yet. When it is I will have to download it, but no big deal because I don't drive crazy. I don't need to pay any base or radio freight as part of the deal but I do need to stay affiliated and/or promote Lynk in some manner as part of the deal otherwise it has implications for whether VAT should be applied. Might seem crazy to you owner drivers but it is a great deal for a renter.

You don't have to take it but they are offering half price labour costs (€25 per hour) for any maintenance work and you can provide your own parts.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:33:11 am by U Wha »

Offline vandriver

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2020, 07:04:44 am »
As the license holder,they retain ownership,so was there any paperwork to show you are the real owner?

dalymount

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2020, 07:17:48 am »
Off topic for a mo,mo but did any of yis get the grant yet ?

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2020, 08:47:09 am »
U wha how much do you earn with the HGV licence job and how much do you spend on the taxi every week?Surely you'd get a proper loan if you have a job instead of the shite deal from Ebbs.Seems like the hard way to get by instead of working the taxi full time.

Why do you need two driving jobs?Is there only a certain amount of hours you can legally put in behind the wheel?

Offline watty

« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2020, 10:56:46 am »
If you mean the back to work €1000 grant, I think it took Jonno 7 weeks to get his money and he had to chase it up a little bit.

Offline Jonno

« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2020, 11:05:57 am »
If you mean the back to work €1000 grant, I think it took Jonno 7 weeks to get his money and he had to chase it up a little bit.
You're 100% watty. It was about 7 wees. One of our guys got it in 8 days last week. I'm my case I think they were being stupid and pedantic about the vat element that you had to write down. Not all my receipts had the vat printed. For example I bought a load of masks in a pound shop, and their receipts are about the size of a postage stamp with nothing but the price on them. Not even what the purchase was. But they eventually gave me the grand anyway.
Don't know what happens if I had to go back on the covid coin. Sure we'll not worry about that till they come knocking!

dalymount

« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2020, 12:01:49 pm »
Well I applied about 6 weeks ago.I did not submit any receipts,because I dont think you have to.my understanding is that you simply have to just KEEP the receipts in case they ever want to inspect them.a bird tang me from the intreo office 3 weeks ago asking for my access number.I heard nothing since

Offline Jonno

« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2020, 12:06:17 pm »
Well I applied about 6 weeks ago.I did not submit any receipts,because I dont think you have to.my understanding is that you simply have to just KEEP the receipts in case they ever want to inspect them.a bird tang me from the intreo office 3 weeks ago asking for my access number.I heard nothing since
Yes you just keep them Daly, but on the sheet you send in you're supposed to write down the vat figure. I think that was the issue with mine. Could be wrong though. Chase them up if it goes on much longer. You're better off going in for a face to face though. Ringing or emails are a waste of time.

dalymount

« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2020, 01:15:45 pm »
Basically all I put down was insurance,deisel,and 100 for ppe

Offline Jonno

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2020, 02:19:16 pm »
Basically all I put down was insurance,deisel,and 100 for ppe
You should be ok for a few bob

Show Unread Posts