Author Topic: 'Actively looking for work' & the PUP €350 is wrong says FLAC  (Read 13435 times)

Offline watty

There was a woman from FLAC (free legal aid centre) on the Pat Kenny Show this morning and she was saying* it was wrong for the Govt to now say that you were supposed to be actively looking for work while you were getting the PUP €350.  She argued that the PUP was introduced as an emergency measure to help those (PAYE & self-employed) who suffered a dramatic drop in income as a result of Covid-19.  The emergency payment had nothing to do with unemployment as such - we already have the dole for the unemployed.  She said the Govt cannot now bring in this new benchmark 5 months after the emergency payment was introduced.

So the Bill passed in the Dail last night and is now on it's way to the Seanad.  I wonder if the Senators will make a fuss or just pass it.  I guess someone will take a legal challenge at some point as well when SW come looking for the money back.

* I'm paraphrasing what she said so maybe I misunderstood her...

john m

Re: 'Actively looking for work' & the PUP €350 is wrong says FLAC
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:12:50 am »
You would think FLACK would fuck right off ALL unemployment Benifits are conditional on you being available for work .This new rule is not retrospective it applies from today .The rate of pay is above the basic dole so what happens if the Courts say the Government cant make it conditional on you being available for work .Ill answer that for you .You will be told if your out of work sign on the Dole and get your 203 .Typical bullshit somebody gives you cake and you ask for a serviette to go with it .

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:16:55 am »
You can be looking for work for twenty years.They don't just take on ex taxi drivers instantly.Easy to fuk up an interview if you feel like it.

Offline watty

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 11:19:39 am »
@ JohnM - her point was that it had nothing to do with unemployment (and consequently, being available for work).  It was an emergency measure to help people whose income had collapsed.  It was a made-up emergency payment - it only became legal yesterday when the Dail passed a law about it.

john m

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 11:23:14 am »
@ JohnM - her point was that it had nothing to do with unemployment (and consequently, being available for work).  It was an emergency measure to help people whose income had collapsed.  It was a made-up emergency payment - it only became legal yesterday when the Dail passed a law about it.

So whats her point .How many people had their coin stopped .I would bet you good money most are Gangsters Molls who have talen the kids to a Villa in Bellamedena for the Summer .Seems to be a lot of people complaining about something that dosent effect them .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 11:32:21 am »
You have to be seeking work to claim Jobseekers Allowance yet there is no requirement to cease any self-employment. Maybe a means test ought to be introduced for PUP as well?

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 12:17:23 pm »
People on PUP and Jobseeker's can travel to Green List countries without losing payment, minister says in u-turn https://jrnl.ie/5162819
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 12:29:03 pm »
You can be looking for work for twenty years.They don't just take on ex taxi drivers instantly.Easy to fuk up an interview if you feel like it.

I'm sure there's loads of jobs out there for over 60's who've driven a cab for the last 20 or 30 years and have zero qualifications and struggle to use their own smart phone.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 12:31:03 pm »
Hmm....is that a hint of sarcasm there Marky?...surprised at you!! lol

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 12:38:03 pm »
Hmm....is that a hint of sarcasm there Marky?...surprised at you!! lol

So you've been self employed for 30 years and now you are expected to become an employee  :o :o :o :o

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 12:40:06 pm »
You could pursue alternative self-employment, I guess. The important thing is that you are actively looking for viable (self)employment. If you can't do that you are not entitled too claim any Jobseekers payments or puppy dole, apparently.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 12:41:01 pm »

I'm sure there's loads of jobs out there for over 60's who've driven a cab for the last 20 or 30 years and have zero qualifications and struggle to use their own smart phone.

There's always /////\\\\\  god forbid ...... Taxi driving?

As the Lady from FLAC was being introduced on the PK show this morning I looked to my right and noticed I was passing the FLAC offices on Dorset st, I'd never heard of FLAC before that ... am I going to win the Lotto?

Back on topic, I reckon eventually Taxi drivers will be told to get off their arses and back in their Taxis, seems logical?

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 01:03:27 pm »

There's always /////\\\\\  god forbid ...... Taxi driving?

As the Lady from FLAC was being introduced on the PK show this morning I looked to my right and noticed I was passing the FLAC offices on Dorset st, I'd never heard of FLAC before that ... am I going to win the Lotto?

Back on topic, I reckon eventually Taxi drivers will be told to get off their arses and back in their Taxis, seems logical?

Seriously Roy,if all taxi drivers returned to work in the morning what do you think the chances of them all making a living out of it?

Loads of pubs still closed or on limited hours,zero night clubs etc,loads of people still working from home,Dublin airport figures for June 2019 compared to June 2020-Arrivals down 96%,departures down 97%,why are you being so flippant/smug about it?,is it because you  have your own little scene going and don't rely on the streets like most of us.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 01:40:37 pm »
I'd say your going to get a lot of FLAC over this
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 01:45:20 pm »
Look at the flack poor oul Caroline Flack took and that result.

Show Unread Posts