Author Topic: 'Actively looking for work' & the PUP €350 is wrong says FLAC  (Read 13437 times)

Offline Theoneandonly

Re: 'Actively looking for work' & the PUP €350 is wrong says FLAC
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2020, 12:18:00 pm »
The fleet isn’t any better for the 9 year rule, it just means that most drivers are gee deep in finance and spend longer in the taxi to make payments.

The lads who got out of taxiing because of it has been replaced with new younger entrants in wanked out French panel vans that have a 15 year life span.

Roy likes his superb and that grand for him but it dosent make him right, just a fella in a expensive motor looking down on lads who drive gick, but the lads driving gick can take a night off and go for a pint while Roy is on the rank for his repayment money.

Ya think the lads in the wanked out French panel vans are the fools, those are the lads who can lay out in the weeds and weather the storm the best.

Like I said the rules need to be revised, the 15 year rule for wanked out french panel vans need to be 10, just another loophole for the renters to exploit, if it wasn't there as you suggest we'd be in a much better situation

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2020, 12:49:09 pm »
The 15-year rule on WATS has been successful.They wanted more now they have them.I don't think someone who sits in a wheelchair for 12 hours a day would care about the registration plate of the vehicle.I'd say they'd be reluctant to pay more than they already do.

Remember newer vehicles eventually equate to more expensive fares.Someone has to pay in the end.Why give the limos an opportunity to undercut us?They have no age rules and are already covering our work on the apps.

Offline taxi1990

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2020, 12:56:51 pm »
The fleet isn’t any better for the 9 year rule, it just means that most drivers are gee deep in finance and spend longer in the taxi to make payments.

The lads who got out of taxiing because of it has been replaced with new younger entrants in wanked out French panel vans that have a 15 year life span.

Roy likes his superb and that grand for him but it dosent make him right, just a fella in a expensive motor looking down on lads who drive gick, but the lads driving gick can take a night off and go for a pint while Roy is on the rank for his repayment money.

Ya think the lads in the wanked out French panel vans are the fools, those are the lads who can lay out in the weeds and weather the storm the best.

Like I said the rules need to be revised, the 15 year rule for wanked out french panel vans need to be 10, just another loophole for the renters to exploit, if it wasn't there as you suggest we'd be in a much better situation

you could have a 10 year old french panel van that is in better condition than a 3 year old one. im close to 10 years with mine and its in as good condition as when i bought it years ago.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2020, 01:02:19 pm »
You're both missing the point, we're Taxi drivers not wheelchair advocates. if there wasn't a 15 year rule on WATs, as Panel suggested there wouldn't be as many Taxis, I don't care if someones 15 year old car is pristine or not, a nine year rule would reduce the fleet that's my motive.

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2020, 01:21:06 pm »
Sorry for the repetition but geography exam was the main barrier to entry until they lowered the pass mark to 75% from 80%.

Without a valid PSV driver licence you cannot operate an SPSV.No you cannot be a taxi or a limo driver without one.Easiest and cheapest solution would be to increase the pass mark to 85%.

Let's be honest most of the forum members on here wouldn't be drivers if the test was significantly tougher.Possibly even myself too but I doubt it..I'll happily resit mine if it loses a few.

Then if we're all making too much money we can't blow it all on expensive vehicles.

Buying the expensive vehicles first to decrease the number of taxis is financial suicide.I'd be pulling me hair our now if I had a 40k loan to pay back and reduced business.You'd be fukked down the stairs on the Dragon's Den if you made such a proposal.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:54 pm »
Sorry for the repetition but geography exam was the main barrier to entry until they lowered the pass mark to 75% from 80%.

Without a valid PSV driver licence you cannot operate an SPSV.No you cannot be a taxi or a limo driver without one.Easiest and cheapest solution would be to increase the pass mark to 85%.

Let's be honest most of the forum members on here wouldn't be drivers if the test was significantly tougher.Possibly even myself too but I doubt it..I'll happily resit mine if it loses a few.

Then if we're all making too much money we can't blow it all on expensive vehicles.

Buying the expensive vehicles first to decrease the number of taxis is financial suicide.I'd be pulling me hair our now if I had a 40k loan to pay back and reduced business.You'd be fukked down the stairs on the Dragon's Den if you made such a proposal.

Test should be set at 90% with an 8 year rule, you can buy a decent 2year old for mid 20s and keep it for 6 years, that's the business plan if you don't like it do something else, would be my ideal.
if they want WATs or Electrics, set a date 8-10 years in the future for the fleet to change or leave whichever they prefer.
Make the thing more professional and not full of people who'd prefer to be on the dole

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2020, 01:40:39 pm »
Roy the main problem is there aren't too many vehicles that cover all bases.The London electric/hybrid taxi is 55000 sterling.(65k in euros plus VRT).It's wheelchair accessible.

There's nothing stopping the NTA withdrawing grants for 2021.Even the small WATs are 30k new before subsides.Not cheap at all.Grants are the issue here not the age rules.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2020, 01:48:45 pm »
Roy the main problem is there aren't too many vehicles that cover all bases.The London electric/hybrid taxi is 55000 sterling.(65k in euros plus VRT).It's wheelchair accessible.

There's nothing stopping the NTA withdrawing grants for 2021.Even the small WATs are 30k new before subsides.Not cheap at all.Grants are the issue here not the age rules.

Two factors keep the numbers down in London biggest being the knowledge and then the cost of the vehicle
I'd settle for a 90% test requirement and leaving the grant but only on new vehicles
I've always advocated making the business more professional, however I realise I am very much part of the minority and that here in Ireland it will alway be a hobbyist, part time, semi professional pastime.

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2020, 02:03:24 pm »
This industry is my only income.I'm only part-time because I haven't gotten caught up in buying new vehicles.Because I know the regulations I use them to work for me.

What counts as professionalism?Penneys shirt and slacks?Seven-year-old vehicle?Is that it.

I've been walking around the city and there aren't any older vehicles out there working.They just don't have to.Lots of Audis parked outside of Spar shops though.

Offline Jonno

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2020, 02:09:38 pm »

Two factors keep the numbers down in London biggest being the knowledge and then the cost of the vehicle
I'd settle for a 90% test requirement and leaving the grant but only on new vehicles
I've always advocated making the business more professional, however I realise I am very much part of the minority and that here in Ireland it will alway be a hobbyist, part time, semi professional pastime.
It's the typical way. And it starts from the top. It's the usual lackadaisical, slovenly mindset with the "sure it'll be grand" attitude that epitomises how this place is run. If the powers that be had any sort of pride in the national fleet, they'd pull out all the stops to make it shine. From a vehicular perspective, it's like a mongrel fleet. All shapes sizes and conditions of yokes. Monstrous ugly roof signs etc. They should be heavily incentivising us to get uniformity of vehicle and to go green with top quality vehicles like other more forward thinking countries. A bit fanciful, I know...

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline taxi1990

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2020, 02:20:01 pm »

It's the typical way. And it starts from the top. It's the usual lackadaisical, slovenly mindset with the "sure it'll be grand" attitude that epitomises how this place is run. If the powers that be had any sort of pride in the national fleet, they'd pull out all the stops to make it shine. From a vehicular perspective, it's like a mongrel fleet. All shapes sizes and conditions of yokes. Monstrous ugly roof signs etc. They should be heavily incentivising us to get uniformity of vehicle and to go green with top quality vehicles like other more forward thinking countries. A bit fanciful, I know...

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I like how in Germany most taxis are mercedes and white.

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2020, 02:29:46 pm »
1990 the last time I was in Germany they had all sorts of vehicles from different manufacturers.I deffo saw an Avensis and an Octavia and was in a VW caddy.We don't build any vehicles in Ireland so have no reason subsidise luxury brands.We're already giving Daimler 15% commission even though many of us can't afford their vehicles.

During the last taxi review we were told the cost of wrapping all the cars in the same colour was prohibitive.That's why we got door stickers.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:32:39 pm by mercenary for hire »

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2020, 02:36:47 pm »
All taxis in Barcelona are Black, any model, but doors must be yellow. Great if you can afford a second car at home. Taxis in Morocco are colour coded by city in which licenced to work.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline Panel

• Wanked out French panel van driving scum.
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2020, 02:46:40 pm »
You're both missing the point, we're Taxi drivers not wheelchair advocates. if there wasn't a 15 year rule on WATs, as Panel suggested there wouldn't be as many Taxis, I don't care if someones 15 year old car is pristine or not, a nine year rule would reduce the fleet that's my motive.

If the 15 year rule wasn’t there for wanked out French panel vans you are correct I wouldn’t be in one, however if new entrants had to buy one to enter the industry they’d be buying them as they cannot buy saloon plates.

Offline taxi1990

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 03:26:43 pm »
1990 the last time I was in Germany they had all sorts of vehicles from different manufacturers.I deffo saw an Avensis and an Octavia and was in a VW caddy.We don't build any vehicles in Ireland so have no reason subsidise luxury brands.We're already giving Daimler 15% commission even though many of us can't afford their vehicles.

During the last taxi review we were told the cost of wrapping all the cars in the same colour was prohibitive.That's why we got door stickers.

when were you in Germany last?

Show Unread Posts