Author Topic: Devastating News for West Dublin  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Devastating News for West Dublin
« on: August 27, 2020, 08:44:52 pm »
https://www.rte.ie/sport/darts/2020/0826/1161448-world-grand-prix-citywest-hse/

Exclusive Dublin to miss out on World Grand Prix with HSE holding Citywest lease

Updated / Thursday, 27 Aug 2020 06:36

By Michael Glennon
RTÉ Sport Journalist

The World Grand Prix will not take place in Dublin this year, RTÉ Sport has learned.

The darts major, held annually in Ireland since 2000, has become the latest event to be affected by the coronarvirus pandemic.

The Health Service Executive has leased the Citywest hotel and conference centre as an isolation unit until late October, with the Grand Prix event scheduled for 4-10 October.

"The HSE licence agreement, in respect of both the Citywest Hotel and convention centre runs to 22 October 2020 and as such the HSE will be in occupation during the period 4-10 October," the HSE told RTÉ Sport.

The Grand Prix is the only darts major to be held in Ireland and attracts the sport’s top stars. World number one Michael van Gerwen is the current champion.

Derry's Daryl Gurney (below) became the first Irish player to win a darts major when he picked up the title in 2017.

Additionally, the event in west Dublin had recently incorporated the final of the Tom Kirby Memorial Irish Matchplay, which was a path to the World Championships at Alexandra Palace for the winner.

The Irish Matchplay has been cancelled, with the Professional Darts Corporation still to determine how the spot will be allocated.

PDC chief executive Matt Porter told RTÉ Sport: "We are aware of the situation at Citywest in relation to our planned dates for the 2020 BoyleSports World Grand Prix.

"We are currently working with the relevant parties with a view to retaining the event's October dates at a new venue, and details will be confirmed in due course once finalised."

It is understood that, with the current quarantine restrictions in place between the UK and Ireland, the PDC is looking at venues in the UK, which would make the logistics of the staging the event much easier.

The World Matchplay in July, the Summer Series and Premier League events have held behind closed doors at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes.

Offline stonethecrows

Re: Devastating News for West Dublin
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 08:49:16 pm »
And I though you were talking about the racing Cars .
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 08:50:19 pm »
Much worse than that! Not sure why they called Londonderry's Daryl Gurney Derry's Daryl Gurney. Anyone who knows (of) Daryl knows he's a proud Londonderry man.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 08:59:01 pm »
But it does quote him as an Irish Player, is he not Green ?
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 09:04:37 pm »
No. Plays for Norn Iron... usually with Brendan Dolan who is a republican. Nice bloke as it goes but he made the cardinal error of mentioning "Londonderry" when he won the World Grand Prix in West Dublin a few years back hence a bit of a hate figure among Irish fans since.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 09:07:39 pm »
Coincidentally he just went out of the reconstituted Premier League as I was typing my first response. Shame, I like Daryl.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 09:27:08 pm »
Apologies... as I'm sure you noticed I got that wrong... Daryl's not eliminated from the Premier League, Rob Cross lost in the last game so he goes out and Daryl survives. For some reason I thought Daryl needed a win to stay in.

Offline Jonno

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 09:32:14 pm »
No. Plays for Norn Iron... usually with Brendan Dolan who is a republican. Nice bloke as it goes but he made the cardinal error of mentioning "Londonderry" when he won the World Grand Prix in West Dublin a few years back hence a bit of a hate figure among Irish fans since.
You (3rd person, singular) can't have it both ways. He has his beliefs, whether or not we agree with them. I wouldn't expect him to call it Derry anymore than I'd expect a chuck to say Londonderry.

Sent from my T770H using Tapatalk

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 03:14:29 pm »
I (first person, singular) never sought to have it both ways. In fact I criticised the author for referring to a proud Londonderry man as a Derry man. However, I don't subscribe to the moronic booing of someone because of his religion or political beliefs... ironically those booing often dressed in orange and chanted Barney Army in support of Dutchman Raymond van Barneveld!

Show Unread Posts