Author Topic: No New Year  (Read 2150 times)

john m

No New Year
« on: October 14, 2020, 10:09:11 am »
The man who hires casual labour says the New year gig they usually hold on the Green is canceled but there will be a televised gig with Top irish talent on New years eve live from the Olympia .Gives you an idea of the governments thinking for the next 12 weeks they dont see us moving to level one .If there is no gigs there probably wont be any sporting events with crowds .Originally they said 500 at outdoor events .So no All Ireland this year .I asked him about Paddys Day he said that no contract has been signed for the rental of barriers yet normally it is a running contract but as they did not supply barriers last year they need a new contract .If the economy is still in any sort of Lockdown next March ,no tourists gigs or sports I think we will need to reconsider our job choice.

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: No New Year
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 10:19:51 am »
Ermy I'll try to be polite but.....you've been telling lads to try another job for ten years now.

What has changed since March to make you think things will get better?Just watch the news.No large gatherings until everyone gets a vaccine.At least a year maybe two before that happens.

Unless some anti restrictions/austerity party gets into government nothing dramatic will happen.

Offline taxi1990

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:39:50 am »
The 2021 fleadh which was supposed to be next August has been cancelled, according to a guy I know who is heavily involved in that scene.

john m

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
Ermy I'll try to be polite but.....you've been telling lads to try another job for ten years now.

What has changed since March to make you think things will get better?Just watch the news.No large gatherings until everyone gets a vaccine.At least a year maybe two before that happens.

Unless some anti restrictions/austerity party gets into government nothing dramatic will happen.

Merc the result of this virus will be a complete change of how we live .Paddy was always a fool with his money we paid more for gig tickets than the british equivalent for the same band ,more for drink more for food more for most things including taxies .You seem to think its only a matter of waiting it out and ignoring the reality society is changing and if you dont change with it you will be left behind .As you yourself say after costs we are on less than minimum wage .If I put in the hours I put in in the taxi in a factory job I would take home twice as much .

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 10:53:05 am »
I could have predicted that one myself.Here just for clarity....everything is cancelled in large groups until a vaccine.Dont tell the newspapers they'll cause a panic...

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 10:57:17 am »

Merc the result of this virus will be a complete change of how we live .Paddy was always a fool with his money we paid more for gig tickets than the british equivalent for the same band ,more for drink more for food more for most things including taxies .You seem to think its only a matter of waiting it out and ignoring the reality society is changing and if you dont change with it you will be left behind .As you yourself say after costs we are on less than minimum wage .If I put in the hours I put in in the taxi in a factory job I would take home twice as much .

Society isn't changing long term John.It's only been six months FFS.It will pass eventually and Ireland will be one big open-air orgy.

john m

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 10:59:43 am »
I could have predicted that one myself.Here just for clarity....everything is cancelled in large groups until a vaccine.Dont tell the newspapers they'll cause a panic...

They were going to allow crowds of 500 at outdoor events .We need to start returning to some sort of normality .What if they dont find a vax do we lock ourselves up in the Glass Press and get somebody to throw sugar at us .The government are messing with peoples heads sending out mixed messages .

john m

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 11:15:20 am »

Society isn't changing long term John.It's only been six months FFS.It will pass eventually and Ireland will be one big open-air orgy.

You dont think all this Pandemic Penny dosent need to be repaid some time .You can bet your bollox society will change .The OECD have Ireland in their sights for being tax robbing low life scum of the earth and Brexit deal or no deal will deliver a fucking hard kick to the economy .Ireland is a third world economy if anything happens to our FDIs we will be back to the 1950s .Apart from Kerry Gold Butter and Guinness we make fuck all . I could nearly predict the first trouble .When Civil Servants are told to return to the office and cant walk the dog or do the laundry during working hours and get paid by the state for doing it their Unions will demand more coin for their workers that will trigger a free for all with strikes all over the place .Government will cave give the CS their increase then increase income tax VAT and introduce new taxes to pay the wage bill .Im old but mortgage paid deal done with my creditors I might survive but todays generation of I wants wont they never knew real want or hand me down clothes or living without TV,Internet.Cash on their hip .The orgy will be an Orgy of anger a whole generation who feel they have been shafted .GET A GUN and plenty of AMMO .You want to see a glimps of the future read the Headlines in the Indo on November 6th .

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 11:19:36 am »
Ermy but we're old fukkers.We're comfortable.The NTA is giving me 20k to buy a car I don't want.The future is bright.The youngsters will accept it and the old farts will complain.It's been like that for hundreds of years.Be happy you were born in a relatively wealthy country.

john m

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 11:51:51 am »
Dont know its really a wealthy country dont think there is such a thing its all about shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic .We are the luckiest generation ever born if you were born between 1950 and 1990 .We aspired to be car owners ,home owners ,foreign travel good education all affordable .We never had to go to war in Europe .I think we will see the return of semi protectionism reduced free trade after this flu as countries try to protect themselves from being over run by cheap imports that wipe out local Jobs .Donny T knows this he tried to take on China but he was the wrong man for the Job .Look at Britain since the War while they were rebuilding and rearming the Germans and the Japs who were not allowed rearm built industrial power houses and China who stayed out of the War were making lucky bag toys developed into a great industrial country .Brexit is a challenge that must be defeated .If the Brits prosper outside the EU then as sure as shit follows food the Germans and French will head for the exit as well thats game over for this stone in the ocean .You know my opinion the British government will order British troops on to the streets of Britain to Shoot British Citizens just like they did in the North if brexit goes badly wrong .Just look at what happened last night in Liverpool as people defied the Lockdown by flooding the streets before the witching hour .

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 11:56:27 am »
If you decide never to work again tomorrow you will not starve.If you stop paying your bills someone else pays eventually.If you did that in other countries you'd be fukked in a skip somewhere.We're very lucky in fairness.Why do you think so many come here from other parts of the world?

john m

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 01:20:30 pm »
JOHNNO can you tell us what do you think the story will be if there is a stage 3 lockdown in the north and we go stage 4 in border counties .Could it put the shit among the Pigeons .Remember what the Brexit crap is all about freedom to travel in Ireland without recognizing any border .What happens if we in the South say you cannot leave your county so people living in Cavan,Monaghan,Donegal who cross the line to do their shopping are stopped .That would be a contravention of the Good Friday Agreement and undermine our Brexit argument if the Irish Government restrict freedom of movement or if the Brits stop us crossing .Is there an unforeseen danger in locking down border counties .Whats the mood up where you are .There is a real issue if the North say they are locking down to stop the spread of the fever but their citizens can cross into the South and we can do nothing to stop them .Im thinking the only answer and its fucking disasterious  is for a whole island circuit breaker lock down .I cant drive five  miles down the road to Kildare but you can travel from Belfast to Cork if you have a yellow numberplate .Makes no sense .

Offline watty

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 05:35:19 pm »
Slipping across the Border to visit an 'offie' is not an essential trip, warns Minister Stephen Donnelly (Indo)

The minister frowned on the suggestion of cross-Border off licence trips after it emerged the Cabinet will meet later tonight to decide if counties along the Border move to Level 4 restrictions as Northern Ireland tightens its anti-Covid measures.  It will mean that off licences in the North will close at 8pm, two hours earlier than closing time in the South.  Asked what he thought of people crossing the Border from the North to visit an off licence between 8-10pm he said this was not justified.  “I don’t think the ‘offie’ counts as an essential trip,” he added.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1014/1171431-coronavirus-ireland/

The Cabinet is to meet this around 7pm evening to discuss the latest measures introduced to tackle the spread of Covid-19 in Northern Ireland.  A Government spokesperson also said that ministers would consider additional restrictions in border counties.  Earlier, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar said border counties may be subject to further measures.  Mr Varadkar said the Government would respond to decisions made in Northern Ireland, but the incidence of the virus in Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan are the highest in Ireland so these counties may be subject to further restrictions.

Could be interesting if 'our' border counties go to level 4 while 'their' border counties are in (what we'd call) level 3...

john m

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 06:09:37 pm »
Watty I did say after the budget we would probably see an increase in lockdown .They had to get the budget passed no budget the government falls .Leo and the Orchestra of Idiots ignored Neped when they told them two weeks ago to go level 4 .We will get level 5 light or as they call it level 4 with only strategic industries being allowed to operate .You can bet your Covid coin that the Border counties will be upgraded .Irish Free Staters cannot be seen to do less than their Northren colleague's .If I was a betting man I would say the whole country goes level 4 before Halloween unless they decide to go nuclear and close the lot down for three or four weeks .This fucking nonsence of level two or three is bollox like trying to dig a grave on a sand doon with a spoon .
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:14:14 pm by john m »

Offline watty

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 06:26:01 pm »
George Lee was just on the News and being more pessimistic than usual.  He said the virus is everywhere and it's higher in Clare (positivity rate) than the border counties.  He said it doesn't make sense for the Govt to meet tonight and make the border counties level 4 when NPHET are gonna meet tomorrow (Thurs) and repeat what they said last week - lockdown the whole country!

Edit: 1095 cases today in Ireland. 
RTE = Today's figure of 1,095 additional cases is the highest single number reported on one day. It compares with 1,068 reported on 15 April last.
RTE = The latest cases include 246 in Dublin, 185 in Meath,128 in Cavan, 118 in Cork, 63 in Kildare with the remaining 342 cases spread across all remaining counties.  Cavan has the highest 14-day incidence rate per 100,000 in the country at 571 followed by Monaghan (360), Donegal (353.7), Clare (307.2) and Meath (299.9).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:33:40 pm by watty »

Show Unread Posts