Author Topic: 100 Euro fines to be issued by Guards !  (Read 7238 times)

Offline Punter

100 Euro fines to be issued by Guards !
« on: January 12, 2021, 09:17:10 am »
Todays Irish Times--

Gardaí received a range of new Covid-19 enforcement powers on Monday, including the power to fine people engaging in non-essential travel.

Under the new offence guidelines, taxi drivers can now be fined for failing to ensure passengers wear a face covering in their vehicle. Retail workers and managers can also be fined for failing to wear a mask while working.

Those found in breach of the travel restrictions can be issued a fixed charge penalty notice (FCPN) of €100. Those in breach of mask regulations can be fined €80.

The ability to fine retail customers and commuters for failing to wear masks in designated areas came into force a month ago. Implementation of travel restrictions fines were delayed until this week as the Garda upgraded the necessary IT support systems.

According to Section 31A of the Health Act 1947 “an applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence without reasonable excuse”.

From Monday, a person may be subject to a €100 fine they engage in non-essential travel and refuse to comply with the direction of a Garda to return home.

------------------------
Wonder will they start questioning/fining passengers .if they did it might help put an end to some party houses !

Offline C5

Re: 100 Euro fines to be issued by Guards !
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 12:00:12 pm »
A taxi driver will not get fined for a passenger who hasn't their mask on. Its the passenger who gets fined, its the same thing if a passenger over 18 is not wearing a seat belt, the passenger gets fined.

john m

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:13:23 pm »
Its newspaper fodder .Shopping is an essential reason to travel .Somebody says I need to go to a Halal Butcher or I need to travel from Clondalkin to Cabra as Londis over there have my Almond Milk and I am Lactose intolerant .They are good to go .Heres a question .You must wear a mask when you shop does that include pumping Petrol or only when you go in to the shop to pay ?

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:07:10 pm »
Is that a question that you urgently need an answer to John?

Offline watty

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 05:28:37 pm »
Curious that no other media outlet has run the same story and the NTA 'latest news' section has nothing on it either?

The latest regs can be found here --> https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/1f150-view-statutory-instruments-related-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/ <-- and they came into force 8th Jan (Fri).  There's no mention of taxis that I can see...

Offline Billy boy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 06:02:46 pm »
From yesterday the guards have started asking passengers where their going and where their coming from. No more just waving taxis on.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 07:15:04 pm »
I think most of the lads at the COVID '19 checkpoints are straight from Templemore, I doubt they give much of a bollix what you say to them. In fact, I stopped at two yesterday, the first gave me a thumbs up and said grand before I got a chance to answer his question so I persisted in explaining myself which he acknowledged by asking what an LRA was and if I passed - all in one breath - so he obviously knew it was a test of some sort. The second just apologised for stopping me and said he didn't see me - I didn't know him so I can only assume he may have suspected I was one of them blacks as I was driving a licensed taxi.

Offline Lizzzy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 08:09:01 pm »
I have to go over to Dublin tomorrow, I'm getting a bit nervous.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 08:12:06 pm »
You'll be grand, assuming you're white and Irish by accident of birth. I don't think the firing squad are even deployed at COVID '19 specific checkpoints but I'm open to correction on that.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 08:41:35 pm »
If ye have to travel then ye have to....but we'd prefer if ye didn't!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 08:50:48 pm »
... unless you're collecting irresponsible offspring?

Offline Lizzzy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 09:04:01 pm »
Just to be safe I'll keep to the main roads and stay out of the rough areas.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 09:21:26 pm »
Easier said than done. Keep your doors locked and windows closed when stopped at lights or in traffic and store your handbag/manbag out of view if you carry one.

Offline Lizzzy

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 09:47:11 pm »
Easier said than done. Keep your doors locked and windows closed when stopped at lights or in traffic and store your handbag/manbag out of view if you carry one.

Good advice, and I'll fill the tank and bring a packed lunch.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 09:50:50 pm »
I think the Gardai have been given the powers to confiscate hang sangwiches and issue fines for trying to transport them across counties!!

Show Unread Posts