Author Topic: OCTAVIA MKIII Window Switch  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
OCTAVIA MKIII Window Switch
« on: February 04, 2021, 02:10:02 pm »
My window switch started giving trouble last week - the one on the driver door with the 4 buttons. First the passenger side front window stopped working which wasn't much of an issue as the button on the passenger door works fine but then the drivers side front packed in. As the only way around that is to use the key fob - hold lock button to close any open windows, unlock button to open all windows - it warranted some attention.

I took it apart and cleaned the PCB with WD40, noting obvious wear where both front window controls contact the board - via metal discs in a rubber mat under the buttons - probably accelerated through water ingress. I did accidentally leave the fucking window open a bit for a few days so it got rained on! Anywaysanall, the whole unit is only clipped together and relatively easy to reassemble provided it's taken apart with a degree of care on a clean bench, there are some fiddly little plastic bits that go between the buttons and the rubber mat, all obvious enough though. Put it back in the car and it's back working so I ordered a replacement from China in the hope that it'll last however long that takes to come... fingers crossed!

I didn't take any photos but it's an easy enough job.
1) Remove the switch with it's trim from the car - assuming you don't have removal wedge 3409, improvise. I used a pair of 1mm glazing packers inserted where arrow B is on the manual picture to protect the trims and levered the switch out with a screwdriver stuck in between the packers... similar to hoiw you might remove a skirting board with a pair of filling knives and a screwdriver, just smaller, softer tools!
2) Remove the switch from the trim.
3) Dismantle the switch, not covered on the manual but just clipped together in an obvious fashion

Manual:

Replacement switch:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Front-Master-Window-Switch-Button-Fit-for-Skoda-Octavia-Fabia-5E0959857A-Replace/254602887479

Offline Shallowhal

Re: OCTAVIA MKIII Window Switch
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 02:18:06 pm »
Was there any residual moisture on the switch when you dismantled it?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 02:26:38 pm »
Probably... but it's well worn under both the front buttons (shoulda took pictures but I'm not taking it apart again while it's working!) so I don't expect it to last... not sure I should expect a tenner Chinese replacement to last either... although they probably all come from the same factory anyway!

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 02:37:00 pm »
Probably come marked "Scobie Mach 2 Lye Swish"

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 02:45:13 pm »
Looks the same in the picture, just without the part number stamped/moulded in. I'm hoping the old one will still be working when it arrives so I'll have an, albeit well worn, spare on hand if/when the Chinese one packs in, assuming it works in the first place! I've always Plan B to fall back on anyway i.e. pay whatever extortionate price a ROI or UK dealer wants.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 07:51:30 pm »
Postman Pat delivered my tenner switch the day before yesterday. Fitted an working, old one still working too so plan A is alive and well!

Offline C5

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 01:01:56 pm »
Don't us wd40 to clean electrical parts use the dedicated wd40 electrical contact cleaner. The wd40 leaves a residue behind the wd40 contact cleaner evaporates.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 07:02:13 pm »
I'll bear that in mind for future reference, thanks C5.

Show Unread Posts