Author Topic: Not Gold, Last actually.  (Read 3949 times)

Offline silverbullet

Re: Not Gold, Last actually.
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 01:21:55 pm »
Congratulations to the two Cork rowers on their gold medals today:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics/hes-an-animal-rowers-delight-at-olympic-gold-medal-win-as-rivals-in-awe-of-odonovan-and-mccarthy-40698515.html

It could inspire Cork cabbies to take up the sport. Plenty of experience sitting on their arses for hours on end, looking over their shoulders. 8)

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 01:33:32 pm »
....and pullin like a dog the plums out of themselves!!

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 01:43:13 pm »
The man bun will be the hardest part. 8)

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 01:09:13 pm »
A young girl from Sligo was in a swimming final. RTE mention she's the first female to qualify for a final in 25 years.

Deliberately erasing Michelle Smith's wonderful achievement 25 years ago.

Lauding the young girl saying she came EIGHTH. There are only eight lanes in an Olympic pool, so therefore the gutsy young girl came LAST.

Really RTE? I thought you were better than that!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/swimming/2021/0727/1237441-tokyo-2020-mcsharry-8th-in-100m-breaststroke-final/

Michelle Smith de Bruin praises ‘stunning performance’ of rowing medallists
Former Olympic swimmer won three gold medals at the 1996 Atlanta Games
about 16 hours ago
Mark Hilliard
Michelle Smith de Bruin's victories at the Atlanta Games were questioned, but she still holds the medals. Photograph:  Frank Miller
Michelle Smith de Bruin's victories at the Atlanta Games were questioned, but she still holds the medals. Photograph: Frank Miller

Former Olympic swimmer Michelle Smith de Bruin has praised the “stunning performance” of Ireland’s latest gold medallists and said she still receives public support for her 1996 Atlanta Games victories.

Ms Smith de Bruin won three gold medals. Her victories were questioned, but she still holds the medals, though she was banned from the sport two years later for manipulating a urine sample.

In a statement to RTÉ’s Liveline programme on Thursday congratulating rowers Paul O’Donovan and Fintan McCarthy on their success in Tokyo, she noted how she had become the first woman in Irish history to secure an Olympic gold.

“By the end of that week in Atlanta, I had become a triple Olympic champion,” she wrote. “It was the culmination of 17 years training and dedication to my sport.”

Describing it as the proudest moment of her life, the former swimmer said that even after a quarter of a century “people still stop to tell me where they were when I won my medals”.

Victories
“I will always be incredibly proud of what I achieved in Atlanta and remain touched by the level of support still shown to me by the people of Ireland. ”

Swimming experts, many from the United States whose own swimmers were in medal contention, questioned her victories. Ms Smith de Bruin had failed to get out of the heats at the previous games in Barcelona.

In 1998, swimming’s international governing body FINA banned her for four years after she was found guilty of manipulating her urine sample in an out-of-competition test. Citing the findings of the testing laboratory, FINA’s doping panel said the sample contained an alcoholic content “in no way compatible with human consumption”.

Now a barrister, Ms Smith de Bruin never failed a drugs test and has continued to insist her success was down to hard training. She signed her statement to RTÉ “Triple Olympic Champion”.

Offline Belker

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 06:28:46 am »
Really Hal !
2 Cork lads win OLYMPIC Irish Gold and you join in with the clown !

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2021, 12:01:03 pm »
The comment had nothing to do with the Cork rowers Ken....as well you know....end of!!

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2021, 01:47:45 pm »
Really Hal !
OLYMPIC IRISH...Sheesh!!

Have you ever thought about writing a book about the perils of writing without an adult present? 8)

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2021, 05:59:02 pm »
Really Hal !
Big congrats to Paul O Donovan,Fintan Mc Carthy, Cork, West Cork, and especially Skib RC. If there's a better spot on earth than West Cork I've yet to find it. Happiest days of my life around Skib, Glandore, Union Hall, Leap, Baltimore, Sherkin, even Schull as long as yer not afraid of the big lad.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2021, 07:20:11 pm »
Congratulations to the two Cork rowers on their gold medals today:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics/hes-an-animal-rowers-delight-at-olympic-gold-medal-win-as-rivals-in-awe-of-odonovan-and-mccarthy-40698515.html

It could inspire Cork cabbies to take up the sport. Plenty of experience sitting on their arses for hours on end, looking over their shoulders. 8)
I don't see anything derogatory in this post. Must be Ken's sensitive Cancerian side having his feelings hurt. 8)

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2021, 07:34:03 pm »

My reply was to the above paragraph,not havin a dig at the rowers but Ken and his fellow drivers...ye know,havin a bit of a laff isall!!

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2021, 07:47:35 pm »

My reply was to the above paragraph,not havin a dig at the rowers but Ken and his fellow drivers...ye know,havin a bit of a laff isall!!
If you say he had taken umbrage he'd try and accuse you of false accusation of theft.

Which post would ya like to be offended by?

I want that one:

Kenneth Cashman

L4447

12/05/2024

CORK

T30457

171C6875

TOYOTA AVENSIS

GREY

15/07/2022 8)

Offline Belker

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2021, 10:09:54 am »
The comment had nothing to do with the Cork rowers Ken....as well you know....end of!!
Thanks Hal, I too would support any Irish Olympian (even Louth).

Offline Belker

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2021, 10:17:22 am »
Really Hal !
Big congrats to Paul O Donovan,Fintan Mc Carthy, Cork, West Cork, and especially Skib RC. If there's a better spot on earth than West Cork I've yet to find it. Happiest days of my life around Skib, Glandore, Union Hall, Leap, Baltimore, Sherkin, even Schull as long as yer not afraid of the big lad.
Thanks Harry, lovely post.

Offline Bubba Ho-Tep

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2021, 12:15:47 pm »
West Cork should really be awarded it`s own county status.

Show Unread Posts