Author Topic: Business Men V Business Boys  (Read 831 times)

Offline John m

Business Men V Business Boys
« on: March 16, 2023, 08:19:59 am »
If we had a proper business Taxi Group the retained Economist would be asking .What is the Business Case for buying a New Car ,

I read on here that 20K off a New EV is free Money and must be grabbed with both hands ,But is it ?

Is there any Business Case for buying a New Vehicle to taxi ?

Is an EV more Economical to Run ? More Reliable ?Can it Carry More paying Passengers ?,Is their a trend twords EV bookings over ICE vehicles ?How much more per shift will you earn with a EV over a Internal Combustion Engine Car?

Any New Car .After the initial depreciation on Purchase .How much more will you earn per shift with a 50K car over a 15K part worn car ?

Can anybody make a rational case for investing Good money into an industry where an Eight year old Prius has the same earning potential as 56K battery operated EV ?

These are Rational Business Questions any Business man would include in his Business Plan .

Today it is likely that the ECB will increase Interest rates and they will increase them later in the year .This will probably mean by this time Next year the average Mortgage rate will be 5.25% For those that dont understand the Implications of that it will result in a 200K mortgage costing the average mortgage payer around 400 euro a month more in repayments .That is a huge amount of money on top of what you already pay so less discretionary spending .Have you considered the implications of less discretionary spending on your Sales as that is what we sell taxi Services .

In an economy where everybody is tightening their belts why would taxi drivers invest into a diminishing market .

Anybody like to make the case for investing big Money into this industry now ?
"War: a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

Offline Jack Meoff

Re: Business Men V Business Boys
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 08:30:22 am »
For the big earners it may be to their advantage.
Less tax to pay.

Offline John m

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 08:31:49 am »
Less tax to pay.

Not true  How will you earn more with a new car than a Part Worn Car ?Or Older Car ?
"War: a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 10:11:42 am »
Less tax to pay.

Not true  How will you earn more with a new car than a Part Worn Car ?Or Older Car ?

You won’t earn more.
You will pay less income tax.
Bigger capital allowances.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 12:53:35 pm »
I don't see capital allowances as an incentive to spend. All you're getting back is the income tax (in most cases 20%) on what you spent over a prolonged period.

Offline John m

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 12:55:30 pm »
I don't see capital allowances as an incentive to spend. All you're getting back is the income tax (in most cases 20%) on what you spent over a prolonged period.

But you wont earn any more with a new car .The meter reads the same !

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 01:02:21 pm »
You'll earn less after capital allowances hence you pay less income tax but, as above, I don't see that in itself as justifying enhanced investment.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 02:12:57 pm »
Taxi drivers like new stuff.Especially if there are gadgets involved.

Offline John m

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 02:30:32 pm »
The European Central Bank raised interest rates by 50 basis points today as promised, ignoring financial market chaos and calls by investors to dial back policy tightening at least until sentiment stabilises.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 02:44:10 pm »
 Ever since I started driving motorised vehicles I always bought what I thought  I would find pleasureable to drive at the time, whether it was my first Yamaha 50, or my first new boring Avensis taxi, and most times, not always, was a vehicle that had a bit of a sparkle about it. In the case of taxis I always went for what I hoped would be a long term car, and not have to worry too much about reliability, or changing every 3 years or so, and that customers would also appreciate. My home is a single car home, so the bit extra on the one car is ok for me. I don't foresee a situation for myself that I will be able to have a home charger, hence hybrid. I had to dig deep for this one, but fortunately did not have to borrow money, and if I don't make any more mistakes it will very possibly be my last car. If I apply the insurance payout on the last car to the cost of this one rather than the last one, and ignore increased premiums, and take into account the tax depreciation I can live with the bottom line if it is taxi serviceable for nine years, i.e. €21.5k , or €2388 per year. Fingers, and toes crossed.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline watty

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 05:24:39 pm »
The newer car is likely to be more reliable and have less breakdowns so you can plan your work schedule better.  Garages don['t really keep spare parts anymore for any type of car so if you have a crash or big mechanical failure, you could be off the road for weeks or even months.

I know the last few years with my 14yr Octavia wasn't exactly stressful but I was always pleasantly surprised when it started each morning.  I also had to factor in that it would need a mechanic visit every few weeks at, say, €100/visit.  That was a serious dampener when you're trying to pay your bills and save for a new tool (car) for your job.

With my new car (which cost me €12k & no loans so I'm a bit different), it's been predictable.  A service every 30k km (?) for 3 years to keep the warranty active and new front tyres every 30-40k km.  All quite predictable and therefore easy to save for. I just have to avoid crashing!

I would agree that paying €50k+ for a new tool is crazy when you can get tools for a fraction of the price with very good reliabilty.  But it was always the same in this game - some bought junkers and some Mercs - but most bought inbetween what they could afford.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2023, 06:31:48 pm »
I think Bob is doing the right thing for his situation.He earns more than three or four of us combined so he should buy the most comfortable and reliable yoke he can afford.

If I worked hard I'd hate to have the range of any EV holding me back.I do small mileage and I'm really am not too excited about charging a vehicle for hours while I'm in bed.I've two petrol stations near my gaff and I only fill up once a week.It's still very convenient to use petrol for now.

Offline John m

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 09:11:25 am »
Dublin Pub Trade ,,Publican Tom Mulligan said: “We decided we’d take some slack ourselves because everything has gone up for everyone.

“We’re watching pubs around here close down on a Monday and Tuesday night, or in the daytime.

“Some pubs are opening Wednesday to Sunday or from Thursday to Sunday.

“We don’t want to see that happen here. We have staff to look after.

“Tourists are a mainstay because we have such a good name for Irish music and culture.”

Why would you upgrade to work in a diminishing market ?

Offline John m

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 09:18:02 am »
BEFORE YOU SPEND OR BORROW >>BEWARE ,,,Surging living costs have forced almost eight out of 10 Irish people to changed their spending habits in the past six months. Nearly half are fearful about the state of their personal finances.

The results are from the latest PwC Irish Consumer Insights Pulse Survey and suggest that what had been booming levels of consumer spending, boosted by Covid- era savings, could moderate this year.

The research found 79pc of Irish consumers have changed non-essential spending in the last six months. Almost one in five (19pc) Irish consumers report they are extremely concerned about their financial situation while another 26pc are very concerned.

Almost all Irish consumers say they will adopt cost-saving behaviours over the next six months including a big drop in the numbers planning home improvement work this year (26pc versus 34pc) and sharp drops in planned spending on fashion and entertainment.

That is at least partly because almost half of those surveyed expect they will have to spend more on groceries.

For retailers the research also provides insights that flesh out evidence from elsewhere that the big shift to digital retail during the Covid-19 pandemic has not been sustained, in part because of consumer preference.

A majority of respondents said identifying knowledgeable and helpful sales assistants was the most appealing aspect of in-store shopping, although self-service check-outs and click-and-collect ordering are also popular.

On the other hand, while consumers trust retailers more than they do social media sites, a hefty 38pc said they rarely or never buy from online websites as a result of data privacy concerns. Only 14pc of Irish consumers have used the Metaverse platform for entertainment, virtual experiences or purchasing products in the last six months, lower than global peers (26pc).

The head of PwC Ireland’s retail and consumer practice, John Dillon, said the research highlights a heightened level of concern among consumers and shows they are very clear about the actions they will take to manage their budgets.

“For retailers to thrive in this challenging environment and maintain consumer engagement, they must remain focused on delivering value to the consumer, invest in the in-store store customer experience and ensure their omni-channel propositions deliver a frictionless, customer-centric experience,” he said.

Despite the pressure on household budgets, around half of Irish consumers still plan to take an international flight (45pc), stay in a hotel (52pc) and take a staycation (44pc) in the next few months.

But spending habits are changing, with savvy shoppers here especially focused on making savings by buying own-brand products or shopping around for promotions and special offers or cheaper brand alternatives.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 09:24:04 am »
We've painted ourselves into a corner with the adoption of the apps and card payments.Yesterday I got only two street fares in a busy six hours that offered me cash payment.The big tax bills some lads are getting might be encouraging them to stretch a bit further on their new vehicles.Easy to do while it's relatively busy.

Show Unread Posts