Author Topic: Touting from Zone 18  (Read 1000 times)

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
Touting from Zone 18
« on: September 04, 2024, 02:27:36 pm »
I don't use Zone 18 but I'm reliably informed certain drivers arrive in the zone without a booking and simply tout any potential passenger - pre-booked or not - to steal work. They are picking and choosing what work they'll do as the NTA has washed their hands of the zone saying it's a DAA matter.

So I'd say fill your boots and park at the first opening of the tunnel approaching the zone and tout among the sub-continental Asians.
You don't even have to show you have a pre-book when entering the zone because DAA knows they'll get paid the €1.50 parking fee every time.

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: Touting from Zone 18
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2024, 03:22:48 pm »
I've been known to take a job from T2 meself but I wouldn't be shouting out the window as I'm just not that bothered anymore.There needs to be a better setup in the airport.There's no reason anyone should be queuing at the official terminals at 3pm like yesterday.

When I was in Seatle the Uber drivers would just park outside the cruise terminals and hotels and shout at pedestrians walking past.I can understand why drivers do this with commission being so high and Uber and Lyft able to push the fare prices down during quiet periods.

The old rules are out the window.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 03:42:42 pm »
Just thinking it was this time last year the DAA were asking any interested drivers to apply for permits.Looks like they're still struggling to cover their busy periods if yesterday is anything to go by.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 04:18:27 pm »
Sunday / Monday evenings are generally the best times for snatching from the terminals. If you loiter with intent perspective clients will approach you so you can generally pick an agreeable destination. I only really bother with it myself when Free Now / Bolt are screaming for cars at zone 18 but I wouldn't go to the extent of paying parking fees.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 04:32:28 pm »
Uber allows us to pass the parking charges on but it's still a pain to get in and out through the barrier on busy days.The Uber app even knows when you've gone through the barrier to adjust the €1.50 out of the commission they take I think...

I don't always be out the airport but if I feel it's busy I'm not leaving empty.Yesterday I got two Maldrons and the third job was into town so I eventually got the job I wanted.We need a short pass for the T2 snatching area.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 04:35:51 pm »
We need a short pass for the T2 snatching area.
Laffin... but them immigrants would only abuse it!

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 04:41:34 pm »
Anyone know why the keshies have their permits on the rear windows lately?The permit isn't exactly small, I dunno why they'd want more shit blocking visibility out the rear window.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2024, 04:43:41 pm »
To wind up the gobshites driving in behind them to pay up to 15% commission plus parking fees!

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2024, 04:49:07 pm »
did i ever tell yiz about the time i drove inta the kesh by accident a couple of years ago and the circus that erupted around me. it's a ken length story if yizzer interested i'll put it up.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2024, 04:58:01 pm »
We could do with the content... and the laugh!

I drove straight onto the rank during my first week renting a taxi having never heard of the kesh! Funny thing is, after the initial uproar an older, wiser gentleman rationally explained what I'd done wrong and rationally explained that I didn't know to the riff raff - I think pointing out that the kesh was empty anyway - and they all then agreed I may as well take a fare... which I did and bought my permit very soon after!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2024, 05:16:09 pm »
^ actually I don't think there was a fee for the permit back then. If there was it was only pennies. We paid 40p per job in those days... and charged IR£1.20 pick up fee. I do remember having to get the plate owner's details from the fleet company I rented from and I think I had to join one of the unions... if I did it woulda been ITDF which was probably around IR£40 back then. I may have been the first city cabs driver to either use the kesh or join the union. I recall a couple of other fleet drivers joining DAA around the same time and there might have been others who had permits but rarely/never used them as there was reputedly some animosity towards such drivers... although I never experienced anything I'd take seriously in that regard myself. Mad really when you look as the riff raff in there these days... spitting in each other's faces and fighting and what not!

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2024, 05:41:44 pm »
I never understood wantin to get a permit ....rite OK i get that ya can get long jobs  like a job to talla say ....but you've to drive all the way back again ... or do they work the apps like the pleb taxi drivers
An wen they get a job to the airport ...go to the Kesh then ? ....otherwise ide imagine it wud be a very inefficient way of workin ... the mind boggles....but my mind boggles alot ... ....today I was tinkin all day why aldis brand of chocolate hob nobs tastes so much better than the real hob nobs an are much cheaper  ...
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2024, 06:27:14 pm »
They done a good fry up in my day...

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2024, 06:32:44 pm »
Probably all goat curry and halal burgers without baps these days!

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2024, 10:38:29 pm »
Your right Rat the Aer Rianta permit was free back in the day, you just paid 50p to go through the Kesh which I only done on a Sunday evening when it was busy. Blue Cabs had all the ssp work at the time bringing staff in and out so that bet waiting for hours in the Kesh. That's the reason why I let my permit expire over 20 hours ago, might be handy to have one now though.

Sent from my CPH2449 using Tapatalk

Show Unread Posts