Author Topic: Is it worth getting a WAT so I can own my own plate?  (Read 7489 times)

Offline IrishTim1

Is it worth getting a WAT so I can own my own plate?
« on: September 23, 2017, 02:11:00 am »
Just looking for opinions from you more experienced lads.

I started in the taxi game in early 2015 but as I was a new entrant I couldn't buy my own plate.
As such, I had to rent a car and plate at a cost of €220, €110 base fees, €70 per week insurance and about €100 diesel so that meant I had to pay out €500 before I made a penny.....it was soul destroying and after 4 months of working 60 hours per week for €300 take home I called it a day.

I hear things have picked up significantly over the last 12 months so I'm considering getting back into it but dread the thought of renting.
In your experience what are the pros and cons of driving a WAT compared to a saloon and would you say that it would be a better option than renting when taking into account the available grants and the benefits of owning the plate and car?

All opinions abuse and slagging are welcome!

Offline Shallowhal

Re: Is it worth getting a WAT so I can own my own plate?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:16:37 am »
I'd say you're less likely to have a headache driving a saloon after a 12 hr shift....i mean that in the literal sense or......literally!!
Renting has to be soul destroying as you say,
I don't know what the story is with grants now,i thought they were closed?
I wouldn't be getting into serious debt for a wheelybin...and MyTaxi could take the PUC off us again!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 05:50:20 am »
This year's grant scheme is closed, I think it opens in April every year and you probably need to apply as soon as it opens. Check with NTA. When NTA proposed the new mini-WAVs they suggested that second hand vehicles are readily available across the water so I guess that'd be worth researching.

I've been meaning to produce a make/model/age report of mini-WAVs licensed to date, I'll look into in the next day or two. It can't help to know what other drivers/owners have opted for.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 07:16:34 am »
Prior to the mini-wav epidemic there was a requirement to have an engineer's report specific to each WAT. This caused major strife I remember because numerous men seemingly went to the wrong engineer...computer said no again. I don't think this is the case now but I wouldn't spend a penny unless they gave me everything in blood first. An example I'm aware of was a NI Peugeot Expert which had functioned as a Taxi in Antrim was not fit for their purposes at that time.

john m

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:46:32 am »
 I wouldnt buy a WAT in the hope that that is the only way to own a plate .The rules and regs around taxi plates can be changed .If the Mungbean munching sandal wearing tree hugging cyclists Green Party ever get back into power  they might issue more saloon plates if you buy an electric car .

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:54:05 am »
I wouldnt buy a WAT in the hope that that is the only way to own a plate .The rules and regs around taxi plates can be changed .If the Mungbean munching sandal wearing tree hugging cyclists Green Party ever get back into power  they might issue more saloon plates if you buy an electric car .

The Greens in Europe are of more concern than here, John. Most of our legislation is by decree from Brussels. Almost 300,000 Quangos have been set up in the EU since 2001. The NTA....HSE etc stem from EU law. But, regarding electric motors you have a point. I remember a man in his 50's back in the mid 1990's laughing at me when I asked him what the "plus 3 grand" was for when they advertised plates in the Herald for 80 grand. A few yrs later he looked 80 and being a sensitive soul I reminded him of his laugh-in....Taximen have an irritating habit of laughing at people who mention how whimsical the business is in comparison to others.

There were 14 Irish Quangos in education alone and that was 7 yrs ago...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/who-earns-what-in-our-education-quangos-1.573001
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:19:55 am by The Liffey Lip »

Offline IrishTim1

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 11:02:42 pm »
This year's grant scheme is closed, I think it opens in April every year and you probably need to apply as soon as it opens. Check with NTA. When NTA proposed the new mini-WAVs they suggested that second hand vehicles are readily available across the water so I guess that'd be worth researching.

I've been meaning to produce a make/model/age report of mini-WAVs licensed to date, I'll look into in the next day or two. It can't help to know what other drivers/owners have opted for.

While being brought to a destination last week by taxi I got chatting to to the driver who told me he had bought two used Peugeot WAV's with the intention of renting them out, he said the plate is only a few hundred Euro and you can get a permit for the airport with a WAV.

Peugeot seem to be the way to go, he said he paid about 12k each.

Do you guys think there's any truth to the idea that punters avoid WAT in favour of saloons? Also, I know Vinny Kearns among others in the taxi freight business are crying about a lack of taxis for the last 2 years and they reckon it's only a matter of time before saloon plates are back on offer.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 05:04:18 am »
I don't think they avoid the new ones as much.They're much lower.The WAT rule is working.Considering how cheap the WAT plates are I'd not be waiting around.

Anyways if they released saloon plates tommorow they don't have to sell thme cheap.10 or 15 k isn't that much to charge for your own business is it?

Offline Lizzzy

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 08:32:46 am »
Your insurance was only 3640 euros. It would be twice that now if you were starting out.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:59:13 am »
Went passed Connolly station yesterday and there were 4 WATs on the rank together.Ya never used to see that many.The rules are working well I think it would by stupid for them to change them.I've noticed a few saloon plate owners have changed over to small WATS.

The requirement for the airport permit is 5 seater wheelies and above by the way.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:32:46 am »

While being brought to a destination last week by taxi I got chatting to to the driver who told me he had bought two used Peugeot WAV's with the intention of renting them out, he said the plate is only a few hundred Euro and you can get a permit for the airport with a WAV.

Peugeot seem to be the way to go, he said he paid about 12k each.

Do you guys think there's any truth to the idea that punters avoid WAT in favour of saloons? Also, I know Vinny Kearns among others in the taxi freight business are crying about a lack of taxis for the last 2 years and they reckon it's only a matter of time before saloon plates are back on offer.

:-X

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 11:04:58 am »
If you can get on the road for 12k that's a no-brainer IMO. Just make sure you're clear on the technical requirements, etc before parting with the necessary.

Offline IrishTim1

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 07:56:32 am »
Went passed Connolly station yesterday and there were 4 WATs on the rank together.Ya never used to see that many.The rules are working well I think it would by stupid for them to change them.I've noticed a few saloon plate owners have changed over to small WATS.

The requirement for the airport permit is 5 seater wheelies and above by the way.

Yeah, the rules seem to be working, I'm seeing more and more WAT's around town.
Wouldn't the Peugeot Tepee be classed as a 5 seater WAV?
It's looking unlikely that saloon plates will be released anytime soon so I think I'll jump on the WAT bandwagon myself.
As you said, 15k is not a lot to pay for a business that is likely to make a few quid.

Offline IrishTim1

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 08:00:45 am »
If you can get on the road for 12k that's a no-brainer IMO. Just make sure you're clear on the technical requirements, etc before parting with the necessary.

I think you're right, it is a no-brainer. With a grant, I could probably get the WAV for about 12k, all in it would probably be closer to the 15k mark to get it set up as a taxi but even that's not too bad. The Peugeot Teepee seems to be the way to go based on price and suitability.

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:53 am »
I think those mini WATs are only 4 seater except the Ford connect yokes but they're expensive.Keep in mind the wheelies have a fifteen year rule vs ten on a saloon plate.Unless Vinny and Co have some inside info I wouldn't expect them to ever release any saloon plates again.They end game is a fully accessible fleet.The rules are a success.

Show Unread Posts