Author Topic: Cocaine cabbie in court battle to keep hold of taxi licence  (Read 15012 times)

Offline watty

Cocaine cabbie in court battle to keep hold of taxi licence
« on: September 26, 2017, 05:55:57 pm »
Cocaine cabbie in court battle to keep hold of taxi licence (Herald, 26 Sept 2017)

A taxi driver is trying to stop gardai from revoking his licence after he was successfully prosecuted for cocaine dealing.  The court action brought by Barry Burns (43), of Bath Road, Balbriggan, is being opposed by Supt Thomas Murphy of the Dublin Region Traffic Department, which includes the Carriage Office.  Burns' barrister Patrick Jackson told Judge Deirdre Gearty at Dublin District Court that, in February 2015, his client was stopped in a vehicle and found to be in possession of €70 worth of cocaine.

On a date in February last year, undercover gardai made four calls to his phone and later that day Burns provided them with seven deals of cocaine, worth about €550, counsel said.  The case came before Swords District Court last December.  Burns was prosecuted for possessing drugs for his own use as a result of the first incident, but the second led to a more serious charge of having cocaine for sale or supply. He pleaded guilty to the charges.

Mr Jackson said that, at the time, the father-of-three had been going through family difficulties and began using drugs.  Those charges were struck out after he had gone to counselling, provided samples to show he was off drugs and donated €1,000 to charity.  Supt Murphy told Judge Gearty that counsel omitted to mention that Burns was using his taxi at the time and there was a "tick list" amounting to several thousand euro owed to him by customers.

Philip Kavanagh, of the Tiomanai Tacsai na hEireann union, told the court he had known Burns for about 10 years and said he felt comfortable with him remaining a taxi driver.  He said Burns had told him of his difficulties at the time, but since then had perked up and seemed to be trying to get on with his life.

Counsel for Burns provided the court with documents showing that tests proved his client has stopped taking drugs.  Burns told the court he had been stupid and had let his family down.  Since the prosecution, he has continued to go to drug testing, he added.

Judge Gearty adjourned the case, which will be listed for mention again in four weeks.

Offline Murph2

• Valued Contributor
Re: Cocaine cabbie in court battle to keep hold of taxi licence
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:46:46 pm »
Unions defending criminals fcukin disgrace to the indistry.

independent.ie 6 July

A Dublin Airport taxi driver has been fined €250 after he was found guilty of failing to take an accountant on the shortest route to his home in Blackrock.

Barry Burns (42) of Bath Road, Balbriggan, Co Dublin, had pleaded not guilty to a taxi regulation charge of not driving as directed by his passenger.

Mr John Conroy told the court that he travelled a lot for work and he gets a taxi from the airport to his home in Blackrock in south Dublin. He always asked to be taken via the M1 and the fare home was €35 every time, he told Judge Miriam Walsh at Dublin District Court.

However, he claimed, on March 20 last year when he left arrivals and went to take a taxi, the driver, Burns, told him “the M1 was closed and did I see the screen in the airport?”. Mr Conroy claimed Burns told him he would have to take an alternative route that would cost €10 or €15 more.

Mr Conroy said he used his phone to search the internet to see if the M1 was blocked while the driver asked him should he go via Finglas or the M50. He said the driver was talking to him about where he worked and that “I would be able to claim the expense in any case”.

He said he told him he wanted to go via the M1 and claimed the driver told him the M50 would be quickest. He said he felt under pressure to agree and he put his headphones on because he didn't want to speak to the driver any more.

The witness alleged that when he arrived at his home the fare was €64.40 and he did not have enough so he had to go into his house to get money from his father. He said the driver provided a receipt, which was submitted as evidence and stated “M1 closed due to accident”.

In cross-examination he told the defence barrister he didn't complain to the driver because “the whole atmosphere was not pleasant, that is the way I go, through the tunnel, I felt under pressure”, adding, “I said fine, go the M50”.

Mr Conroy rejected claims that Mr Burns took the Leopardstown exit and he said he left the motorway at the Dundrum exit.

He said that during the journey he tried to search the internet to see if the the M1 was blocked but his phone was too slow. When he got home his mother called gardai to check.

“I wanted to go the M1 and I was told there was an accident and it was blocked, that was not the case,” he said adding he was 100 per cent sure he told the driver he route he wanted.

Mr Burns rejected the allegations and said he let Mr Conroy choose the route. He denied mentioning that there were screens in the airport with traffic information.

He recalled that traffic was heavy and claimed he told Conroy there must have been an accident somewhere and the passenger said he wanted to get home quick.

He agreed with Garda Sgt Michael Higgins there was a quicker alternative route but he claimed the passenger picked the way to go. He also claimed he and Mr Conroy chatted throughout the journey.

He denied that he had issued the receipt shown to court saying it had no identification information and he said the signature was not his.

He agreed that in a statement to Gda Sgt Higgins he said the fare was €64 but he just accepted €60. In his evidence in court he said that he told Conroy he would take €55 for the run but was given €60.

Judge Walsh said it may be a difference of just a fiver but it was a discrepancy and she found him guilty. The trial heard no evidence of any accident on the M1.

Fining him Judge Walsh noted Burns, who has been a taxi driver for 10 years, had no prior criminal convictions. She also ordered him to pay €130 in witness expenses.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:11:35 pm »
There's no mention of any evidence of income tax being paid in respect of earnings from the his drug dealing business, maybe TTnHs accountant just lumped it in with his taxi takings?

Is this the same TTnH that whinges relentlessly about Rickshaw drivers selling drugs?

Offline Taxi driver42

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:54:56 pm »
Unions wrong there.

Offline SClass

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:16:26 pm »
Kavanagh was always a fuking ejit
Did he personally take it upon himself to speak on the  burns behalf.
I'm a member of Ttnh.
Under no circumstances do I agree with Philip Kavanagh using Ttnh name in court.
I intend to have words.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:54:12 am »
I think any of us would condone dealing in cocaine. Regardless of what problems he may have had he should be banned from holding a SPSV driving licence, at least for a period.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 02:23:15 am »
"Burns was using his taxi at the time and there was a "tick list" amounting to several thousand euro owed to him by customers."

That sounds very sinister to me.
Also, letting cunts pay later instead of getting the dosh there and then. No wonder he was brutal at driving a joe.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 04:23:29 am »
Hardly Grand Snort Auto, ffs! €70 worth of coke...most birds you bring home have that amount on their credit cards. Pablo Escobar this man is not, despite the later "deals". Cops seem determined to catch tiny minnows and display them proudly in public.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:37:26 am by The Liffey Lip »

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:47:46 am »
As Doc notes, the cocaine trade is largely a cash business. I guess it's safe to assume his account customers represent less than 5% of his total business for the period documented. As he was owed a minimum of €2,000 ("thousands") his turnover for that period should be taken to be at least €40,000.

Offline Tony

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 09:48:28 am »
Scumbags like him should be fukked out of the industry , if he was a rickshaw driver yis would all would want his head on a plate..

Deport the khuntt I say.
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 09:50:57 am »
He's already living in exile in the beautiful seaside resort town of Balbriggan... while the junkies he preys on drag their kids up in inner city council flats no doubt!

Offline Tony

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:05 am »
He's already living in exile in the beautiful seaside resort town of Balbriggan... while the junkies he preys on drag their kids up in inner city council flats no doubt!

Laffin
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 09:56:51 am »
Cocain is a a drug for the well off.The poor chap probably thinks he's better than the heroin dealer.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 09:59:22 am »
It was in the 90s, seems to be as popular with the heroin classes since the tiger years. A few dealers I've driven have told me that it's used by a significant number of taxi drivers to stay awake, not sure if there's any truth in that.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 10:04:38 am »
Yeah some of my mates used to use to keep awake during heavy drinking sessions.Fukking eejets wasting their money.

Show Unread Posts