Author Topic: Looto.  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Belker

Looto.
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:11:51 am »
I don't usually post gambling stories as it's a bit of a 'Busman's holiday' fer me, but this is a kinda interesting One.

Back in the late Eighties I was managing a bookie shop in Cork, the shop was the most westerly shop in the city and quite often the old age pensioners with the free travel and the farmers from west Cork would frequent the premises as it was the first city bookie office that they would come across.
One particular customer who was probably an old age pensioner and definately a farmer by the stink of him arrived in one morning, a heavily set man who never spoke, he just put his docket and dosh up on the counter, his bet was;
 "LOOTO, First number drawn Even, 5/6, £10" (Ir Punts at the time).
His bet won and he was in the next Monday morning to collect his £18.33.

A few days later he was back in to do the same bet, but this time it lost, so a few days later he was back in again but this time he had Doubled up to £20, it lost again, and again a few days later he Doubled up again to £40, which won.
Then a week later he was back in again and started again with a £10 bet always misspelling the word Lotto fer Looto and this all went on fer about Two years with him Doubling up week after week before he got a winner, £160 was the highest he got to before he got his winner and he was making a tidy profit from it.

But then thing's changed as they do in the gambling world, all his small bets lost and after his big £160 bet lost we wondered would we ever see him again ? Sure as' he was in like clockwork the next week with his £320 bet, it lost, the week after he was in again with £640, that too lost, £640 turned in to £1,280, £1,280 turned into £2,560, all losers. Then senior management got involved discussing what best next to do, there really wasn't an option, if we refused the next bet on humanitarian grounds then he would just have walked down the road to the next bookie and had his wager with them. I hoped, prayed that he had given up his quest, but he hadn't, he again was in on the Friday morning with £5,120 in cash fer his usual Looto bet, it lost and we never saw him again !
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:24:21 am by Belker »

john m

Re: Looto.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:12 am »
Barman where my old man drank was an expert on gambling .When the lottery started my old man is doing maths on a beermat and says to the barman getting 6 numbers on a ticket is simple that will be won by loads of people .Barman laughs at the Old fella tells him he is a fool so the oul fells starts a row and slaps down £120 quid he has in his pocket and bets the barman that he will get all six numbers on the ticket .Money is put in a glass behind the bar and the old lad buys the ticket puts it in an envelope with a load of newspaper and its put behind the bar  .Barman laughs at the oulfella ."How many tickets did ya buy Jonny .Old lad carrys on saying nothing .On the night of the draw the pub is full to see my old man humiliate himself the numbers are drawn and the old lad asks for the envelope and the prizemoney .He puts the money in his pocket and hands the envelope to the lounge girl and says get the ticket out of there and read out the numbers on it and he gives the barman a biro and says as she calls out the number if you have it mark it off when you mark off all six I win .The loungegirl reads our the ticket First six mumbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,second six numbers 7,8, 9,10,11,12 .The old man picked every number think it cost him £3 as he said he would get every number on the ticket ,never mentioned that he would win .

Offline Belker

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 12:39:42 pm »
Good story John M, a bit far-fetced but still an unlikely possibility.

I'll post the 'Dockers Dream' tomorrow, which is another Sad but
True Gambling tale.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:52 pm »
Anything to do with gambling is sad.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:13:07 pm »
The lotto didn't start till the 90s which one were yis betting on in the 80s?

Offline Belker

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:25:47 pm »
Your Right MFH, Apologies the old memory is a tad sketchy these days,
it was actually the late Eighties that the events took place and not the
Early Eighties as previousely posted.
I'll amend the opening post.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:32:29 am by Belker »

Offline Belker

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:33:37 pm »

The Irish lotto actually kicked off in 1988.

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 01:34:54 pm »

The Irish lotto actually kicked off in 1988.

Wasn’t that the scratch cards !!

Offline Belker

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 01:37:20 pm »
Scratch cards were in '87, the full Lotto started in '88.

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47:31 pm »
This chap used to go into a well know Cork betting Office and every week he placed the same bet during the soccer season.
A pound on Steve Bull to score 1 goal, a pound to score 2 goals all the way up to 7 pound to score 7 goals.
Well Steve Bull scored 7 goals in one game and his docket came in, cha ching.
As it was a great achievement the bookies asked him would he mind if they got a photographer from The Evening Echo down to take a picture of them presenting the cheque over to him.
He obliged to have his pic taken but he had to come clean to his wife of his winnings.
Of course she prob wanted a little touch of his big win.
He gave his ol doll half but never did get his pic on the pic on the paper.
He knew better the next time.

Offline Tony

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 01:53:45 pm »
88......ahh i remember it well, the lotto, the millennium... Getting married...... Ireland beating england.....
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 02:12:08 pm »
88......ahh i remember it well, the lotto, the millennium... Getting married...... Ireland beating england.....

You were livin the dream alri!!

Offline Belker

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 07:18:55 am »

No internet, No mobile phones, Teletext and VHS !
Happiness was !!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:24:23 am »
a cigar called Hamlet?

Offline Belker

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 11:59:09 am »
A Ford 'Grenada' fer the rich folk and a VHS video recorder and a house extension used to cost the same price at £600 each !

Show Unread Posts