Author Topic: We're Going on Strike  (Read 18682 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: We're Going on Strike
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 03:49:23 pm »
well I don't know if Joe heron made such a statement or not, but there is certainly no evidence of that many drivers having left the insustry,  because what's left would STILL cut your fucking throat to get passed you in case there's a fare up ahead

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/20000-fewer-taxi-drivers-on-the-roads-since-2009-36157548.html

That's one of many reports I read. Joe was all over the national media telling anyone that'd give him the time of day that 20,000 men have left the trade for better jobs. No mention of rising insurance costs forcing men out of business, no recollection of the licence fee increase (€2 to €250) that resulted in thousands of inactive licences lapsing. Someone is obviously paying for this bulls!t, it's certainly not what his idiot members are paying for!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:02:25 pm by Rat Catcher »

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 05:03:32 pm »
one of my all time favourite foot in mouths.
2700 illegal taxis stayed home to dodge the garda checkpoints.
https://m.herald.ie/news/thousands-of-city-taxi-drivers-hide-from-gardai-30393493.html

dalymount

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 05:03:54 pm »
i have spoken to a lot of older drivers in the past, and most of them blamed John saying it was his refusal to agree to allow more plates that caused the massive influx that is the irish taxi market today

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 05:18:01 pm »
That's probably easy enough to dismiss as the mouth being a few dozen paces ahead of the brain, Doc. I take a more cynical view of Joe's campaign. It's no secret that the dispatch firm reps on TAC want more taxis/hackneys/rideshare. Hard not to conclude that they successfully "lobbied" Joe to pave the way for NTAs recruitment drive.

It's a valid point of view, DM. However, to be fair to John et al, they did manage to maintain a closed shop for 22 years. The facts of entry liberalisation are as I posted some moments ago but, as you note, there are drivers who speculate that the deregulation case might not have happened if Bertie's Forum took a more aggressive approach to increasing numbers, something all the unions would have opposed. We should also note that entry liberalisation itself wasn't the disaster many of us envisaged. Minister Molloy told me at the time that it mightn't be as bad as I thought and he was right. It was only when the economy collapsed in 2008 that the trade became unviable. The problem, of course, is how do you safeguard against boom/bust economics with no significant barriers to entry?

dalymount

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 05:31:44 pm »
one question I never fail to ask of my local politician's is, how the fuck are the foreigners passing the detailed knowledge test when some of rhem cannot even speak ducking English ?

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 05:35:57 pm »
plenty of dublin drivers i know can barely speak english.

dalymount

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 05:42:11 pm »
yeah , I can't argue with that

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 05:48:02 pm »
The test is supposed to have a very low pass rate. It'll be interesting to note how that changes as NTA/TAC are actively recruiting drivers. It's interesting that all the drivers featured in the wireless advertisements sound like they are Irish by accident of birth yet c.2/3 new entrants are immigrants. I wonder if the advertisements employ actual drivers, drivers voiced by actors or just actors...

dalymount

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 07:13:00 pm »
on another note altogether.
the current dispute involving taxi drivers, and the proposal to close off collage green to the aforementioned.

would the competition authority not view this as unfair practice towards taxi drivers consisering the LUAS will be permitted to operate ?
we are after all part of the national transport system are we not, and we are being told we cannot compete for transport work ?

john m

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 07:19:13 pm »
on another note altogether.
the current dispute involving taxi drivers, and the proposal to close off collage green to the aforementioned.

would the competition authority not view this as unfair practice towards taxi drivers consisering the LUAS will be permitted to operate ?
we are after all part of the national transport system are we not, and we are being told we cannot compete for transport work ?

So are we unfair competition for other modes of transport as we can pick up anywhere while busses must stop at bus stops Aeroplanes must stop at airports trains in stations etc etc etc

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 07:29:15 pm »
Ya don't need good English to read a map AFAIK..

Offline watty

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 08:12:31 pm »
...but you do need good English to type the address into a sat-nav/smartphone...

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 08:20:36 pm »
The test is multiple choice so if you know the first few letters you'd recognise the word,maybe.

Anyway I had a look at the brother's after test summary and it itemises all the parts of the test where ya went wrong.Back when I did it the fail wasn't so detailed.They're nearly holding the candidates hands.

dalymount

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 10:43:49 pm »
other modes of transport have designated areas where they ply their trade as you suggest.
my question was are we being unfairly treated by DCC proposal to ban us from collage green in favour of the LUAS  ?

john m

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:59 pm »
other modes of transport have designated areas where they ply their trade as you suggest.
my question was are we being unfairly treated by DCC proposal to ban us from collage green in favour of the LUAS  ?

Are DAA being unfair restricting access to the airport .DCC are restricting access for health and safety which covers whatever the fuck they want it to cover .

Show Unread Posts