Author Topic: Is this Rideshare  (Read 3525 times)

john m

Is this Rideshare
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:18:29 pm »
What is the definition of Rideshare .Or UBER like services .Would it be when somebody can drive their own vehicle that is not a licenced taxi or Hack for reward ? That would be my understanding .I have long said we will get rideshare .I lost a few hundred euro on a bet we would get it last year but im now concerned we will get it this year .Did you know ...The Minister has asked the National Transport Authority (NTA) to assess the roll-out of community car services and the level of demand for such a scheme to be developed. Local volunteers would use their own car to help individuals who have difficulty accessing forms of transport but could receive some financial payment.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

Re: Is this Rideshare
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:39 pm »
http://www.thejournal.ie/rural-transport-clare-3894810-Mar2018/

Clare Co Council looking at idea of 'autonomous cars' to address rural transport issues

CLARE COUNTY COUNCIL has announced its intention to launch a series of advanced systems to deal with the ‘rural transport issues’ the county is facing.

The systems in question include an Uber-style app to allow for ride-sharing transport, and also the use of autonomous cars.

Uber is a ridesharing platform, one which lets non-professional drivers provide transport to another user for a predetermined fee. The service has never been established in Ireland. The company has had a presence in Ireland since 2014

In Clare, the local authority has been allocated €25,000 from Enterprise Ireland (EI) to explore the feasibility of such systems.

A spokesman for the council confirmed that the issues the council has in mind include the fact that older people in the locality don’t drive and don’t have a car, young people having no access to transport, the lack of taxis and non-existent public transport, mobile blackspots and a lack of broadband coverage, and social issues like accessing recreational events or the social outlet of a rural pub.

A common observation of rural representatives is, of course, that of the decline of the country pub with stringent drink-drive regulations in place.

The proposed initiative forms part of Clare’s Rural Development Strategy 2026, a blueprint launched last year with the goal of creating 4,000 jobs.

“There are several potential solutions,” the spokesman told TheJournal.ie.

Smartphones

Those include the installation of roaming sim cards on people’s smartphones (to tackle the issue of mobile blackspots, so more than one carrier can be used to access coverage), together with the creation of cross-platform smartphone apps.

“For older people, we need customised solutions with limited functionality,” he said.

The idea of using ‘autonomous vehicles’ is also one being seriously considered, the spokesman said, with two companies, one in Shannon and the other in Tuam, Co Galway, tendering for that project.

Should the feasibility process prove successful the council will apply to EI for additional funding with regard to developing a prototype system. That process is expected to come to fruition in late summer this year.

“This isn’t just a bright idea,” the spokesman said. “This is something Enterprise Ireland has seen the potential in.”

"It could be a major breakthrough."

john m

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:42:18 pm »
No chance of Driverless in Rural boreens but UBER like services .I lost a few to Ken I thought this would come in last year .The Minister for Transport has asked for a report to see if there is demand for Rideshare as in allowing non licenced vehicles pick up passengers for reward .I said in another post if this might be related to all the new PSV driving licences 1600 being promoted by the NTA .The Minister did previously say he would not allow unlicenced DRIVERS operate he never said unlicenced VEHICLES if the NTA could licence the drivers they would collect more licence fees to subsidise more WATs and busses .But hay dont worry about it the Reps are on the ball about a few feet of road in dublin that will slow down Keshies as they skurry to return to the mother ship .

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:20 pm »
Who's gonna drive the autonomous  vehicles, that's what I'd like to know ?

john m

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 10:59:36 pm »
Can you imagine the autonomous car leaving young Eilish home up the narra boreen and when it gets up to the Farm Yard Mammy has parked the tractor at the gate with the messages in the scoop at the front after the weekly trip to Supervalue in the town so the selfdriving yoke cant get a turn so has to reverse for a mile and a half back to the main road before it can collect young Eamon who has to meet the Bus in town to collect his Brazilian Boyfriend who has the weekend off from his job packing fruit out past the airport .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:25:36 pm »
I'm more concerned that Erm knows more about young Eilishsss gaff.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:13:02 pm »
Did the European Court of Justice not say that nobody is allowed to lobby for rideshare anymore?

Offline watty

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »
Classic!
This isn’t just a bright idea,” the spokesman said. “This is something Enterprise Ireland has seen the potential in.”

Sounds like somebody lobbed 25 grand at a Star Trek fan & told him to write something for the Dublin bhoyos coming down on Monday...  Mobile sim cards, autonomous vehicles etc etc. 

Do they even have electricity in Clare?  Or broadband?  Or a roadsytem that a computer can navigate?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:24:18 pm »
They'll see all the mod cons they've ever dreamt of when the fact finding missions kick in. Will they get three weeks all exes paid in California for 25k?

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:14:41 pm »
I thought ride sharing was a swingers party!!!!!!!!

Offline Korky

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 12:15:59 am »
Did the European Court of Justice not say that nobody is allowed to lobby for rideshare anymore?

No, they didn’t, they ruled that Uber was a taxi business, not a tech business, and therefore must abide by member states individual taxi regulations. Member states can amend their regulations as they see fit.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 12:08:29 pm »
So, as far as Europe is concerned, it merely ruled that Uber must continue doing what it was already doing. I must have got the erm end of the stick.

Show Unread Posts