Author Topic: Judge to decide if Westport taxi case was entrapment  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

Judge to decide if Westport taxi case was entrapment
« on: March 20, 2018, 03:53:33 pm »
http://www.mayonews.ie/news/31754-judge-to-decide-if-westport-taxi-case-was-entrapment

The case of a Murrisk man accused of operating a vehicle for hire without a license has been adjourned while Judge Mary Devins deliberates on a doctrine of law.
The term, ex-turpi-causa, was introduced by defence solicitor James Ward after hearing evidence in the case of John Walshe, Crossview, Thornhill, Murrisk, Westport in the local district court this week.
Mr Ward said the legal doctrine meant the state could not pursue the case as the apprehension of Mr Walshe arose from an illegal act which could be construed as entrapment.
The court had earlier heard from National Transport Authority Compliance Officers, Eugene MacHale and Martin Murphy. In their evidence they stated that on February 24 last they were in the Westport Quay area and noticed an eight-seater vehicle dropping off passengers.
An app on Mr MacHale’s phone told them the taxi license on the vehicle had expired. They then flagged down the vehicle driven by Mr Walshe and asked him if it was a taxi.
Both officers said they were told it was indeed a taxi and a trip into Westport would cost €5, which they agreed and got into the vehicle, but no money changed hands.
They then identified themselves and added that Mr Walshe had been very co-operative at all times.
Defending solicitor, Mr Ward then introduced a number of legal questions, namely whether an offence had actually taken place as no money had changed hands and if the whole incident was one of entrapment.
He then asked Judge Mary Devins if this was a case of ex-turpi-causa as the officers knew the vehicle wasn’t a licensed taxi when they got into it.
Mr Jason Teehan, representing the Road Traffic Authority, refuted this and added that all the ingredients for a prosecution were in place to which Mr Ward retorted that the ingredients might be there, but no cake had been baked.
Judge Devins said she was adjourning the matter until April 19 in order to consider relevant case law.

Offline Belker

Re: Judge to decide if Westport taxi case was entrapment
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:21:32 am »
If this unlicensed driver gets away with this, then it opens the floodgates.

I might consider not bothering with my Taxi PSV renewal fer 250Euro or
Suitability and going 'Private' on my insurance saving about Two grand per year.

dalymount

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 08:32:12 am »
he is not the only one operating in these cercumstances.
these scumbags have no morals whatsoever.
it's shameful that such peopleare still operating.they are out taking the livlehoods of honest hard working taxi drivers who have to pay all the associated costs of operating a taxi , while these toerags operate with impunity

Offline watty

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:15:41 am »
Scumbag is a bit strong.  A lot of these cases that make the newspapers seem to be drivers with expired taxi licences.  We don't know their personal circumstances.  I'd say it's hard making a living driving a taxi in those small towns.

By comparison, how many of us broke the law by working the past month with an unsealed meter?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 12:56:31 pm »
Are we breaking the law if we have an appointment to get an unsealed meter sealed?

There's fuckall taxis in Westport, there's not even a rank in the town, all hackneys.

dalymount

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 01:01:52 pm »
well I have an appointment this friday in fact to get my meter resealed, and I am not breaking the law because I have a letter from the NTA to clear me in the event I'm stopped

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 01:08:05 pm »
I have a letter too - appointment on 20th April, if memory serves.

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 01:24:51 pm »
Scumbag is a bit strong.  A lot of these cases that make the newspapers seem to be drivers with expired taxi licences.  We don't know their personal circumstances.  I'd say it's hard making a living driving a taxi in those small towns.

By comparison, how many of us broke the law by working the past month with an unsealed meter?

He's operating illegally so the toe rag should be raped in front of his family then hung drawn n quartered and then deported.... Snowflakes like you is why the kip of a county is in the state its in...
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Belker

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 02:42:31 pm »
I gotta agree with Tony, Motor tax office ask fer suitability cert when taxing a Taxi, so most likely he had no Road Tax either.
Insurance and NCT ?

Offline Belker

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 02:47:07 pm »

None or very few I would imagine, all you had to do was ring the NTA/LM and get a ref number
fer a sealing appointment and then you were Legal. Hardly a big ask !

Offline Tony

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 02:48:14 pm »
Must give them a call meself
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Belker

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 03:53:12 pm »
Must give them a call meself

Tax and Insure it too while your at it !
And let dat poor chungwan outta de boot FFS !!

Show Unread Posts