Author Topic: Upset taxi customer warns against end of Letterkenny’s €5 cab fares  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/upset-taxi-customer-warns-end-letterkennys-e5-cab-fares/214326

A Letterkenny taxi user who was upset by recent price hikes has claimed that customers could ditch cab runs if the town’s €5 fares are axed.

The Letterkenny Post reported warnings from a local taxi driver at the start of this month that cabbies could end their €5 fares due to increasingly expensive operating costs.

Some Letterkenny taxi drivers, who have been charging a flat rate €5 fare for in-town runs throughout the last decade, despite authorisation from the taxi regulator to charge much more, warned in The Post that they can no longer under-charge and subsidise the true value of their customers’ higher fare costs.

But a Letterkenny taxi user, who has been shocked in recent weeks by being charged excess of €5, is now warning that people will not be able to afford taxis at all if the cheap €5 fares disappear.

He said: “Myself and a few friends have been charged much more than €5 in recent taxi runs around the town and we’ve been really taken aback by it.

“We couldn’t believe it. You have to accept some drivers will charge more, but there’s no way that people in Letterkenny will stand for a complete end to the €5 fares.

“People couldn't afford it. I’m sure that they would think twice about getting a taxi in Letterkenny if the prices stay much higher than €5.

“The problem is that taxis are necessary if you want to go out for a night in town, but the recent prices are just too much.

“The taxi drivers in Letterkenny should get together and agree that they will not charge more than €5 for runs around the town.

“They would get more business and that’s what it’s all about. There should be a flat-rate fee in the town. Letterkenny is not Dublin. Why are the fares now so high?”

The latest fare increases from the National Transport Authority (NTA) came into force on February 1 past, increasing maximum taxi fares by an average of 3.22 per cent.

This means that the basic fare jumped last month from €3.60 to €3.80 between 8am and 8pm and up again to €4.20 between 8pm and 8am and on Sundays and bank holidays.

Legal charges, which drivers can apply, include €2 for a callout on top of a €4.20 evening hire charge, plus a €3 fee for up to three extra passengers – a total of €9.20 before the car even begins its journey, but the NTA allows cabbies to waive these charges.

Cabbies can be fined €100 if caught not using meters and not issuing metered receipts (€60 for not running a meter and €40 for not printing a receipt), a practice that is widespread across Letterkenny.

There were five on-the-spot fines (fixed payment notices) issued for failing to operate a meter and five for failing to print and offer a receipt within the last 12 months in Donegal.

COULD €5 FARES END?

A local driver recently told The Post why Letterkenny’s €5 fares could end: “Taxi drivers were fined in Letterkenny last year for not using their meters when the regulator carried out checks near Tesco. Is it worth it?"

He added: “We have been subsidising the public of Letterkenny for over a decade. Maybe it’s time that the €5 fares are stopped.

“Letterkenny people have been spoilt. If you charge a full fare, you are made to feel like [18th Century highwayman] Dick Turpin.”

The NTA is aware of the taxi practices in Letterkenny and has issued a statement to the Letterkenny Post.

A spokesman said: “It is illegal not to run the meter on every journey so that the passenger knows the maximum fare payable.”

The full story appeared in today's edition of the Letterkenny Post newspaper, a sister publication of Donegal Now.

for the love of jaysus.

Offline markmiwurdz

picked a couple up there last new year's eve.
2 minute job, fare was about €7.50 with the rate 3.
your woman a nordy one nearly had a baby in the back of the car.
fair play to your man a dublin fella that told her to put a sock in it.
but its unfuckin believable with them.
if i pick fuckin 4 of them up and they're going round the corner i'll leave the three pound extra off to minimise having to listen to any bollix.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
They're going the wrong way about it. I worked for Swords Cabs shortly after deregulation. Back then Swords wasn't fully subsumed into the commuter belt and was largely a monocultural rural town. The locals were used to fixed fare hackneys and had a genuine fear of taxis and taximeters. As the local filthy, stinking hackney men turned their backs on their trade to take the bread out of the mouths of the childers of taximen the customers had to be reprogrammed. A gradual shift works best, run the meter but don't ask for any more than the usual fixed fare for a while. Most will start volunteering what's on the meter if it exceeds the fixed fare and eventually fixed fares will be consigned to history.

True. Its like when the fare is 11 and you say just give me an uncle ben.
usually you'll be given a 12.
I hear a lot of the drivers in donegal have hands like jeremy beadle from all the years of having the change whipped out of their paws.

Offline markmiwurdz

Always charge the extras,fuck them all   ::fuck ::fuck

Offline Firewall

But they can afford a fucking hape of pints, regardless of the price, and complain about a fucking euro. They can actually go fuck themselves. Fucking walk you miserable, cheap, scauldy fucking scummers.
Meter on, extras added, and if you don't like the price, down to the fucking barracks we go. Cocksuckers.

Offline markmiwurdz

But they can afford a fucking hape of pints, regardless of the price, and complain about a fucking euro. They can actually go fuck themselves. Fucking walk you miserable, cheap, scauldy fucking scummers.
Meter on, extras added, and if you don't like the price, down to the fucking barracks we go. Cocksuckers.

We must be related.....

Offline taxi1990

it must be like the 3rd world up in donegal, they can only afford 5 euro rofl  I picked up a lad from donegal one night at 5:30 am 30 euro fare, he asked me would i do it for 20, i said why would i?, its 5:30 am money up front. offaly people are the tightest after the northies, always question the fare.

Re: Upset taxi customer warns against end of Letterkenny’s €5 cab fares
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 04:12:38 am »
i'd wager that all the nordy heads that moan about fares down here are of the allister mason and clifford cartright variety.
they have it in their heads that we don't like them and are trying to fuck them over.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 02:30:30 pm »
To be fair, they're not paying Dublin prices for gargle so why should they expect to pay Dublin prices for taxis?

Offline Belker

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:43:06 am »
Letterkenny and a whole lot of other rural towns have been doing that ridiculous 5Euro deal fer umpteen years despite having gotten Two fares increases in the last 5 years. THE METERED FARE IS THE METERED FARE !

What happens in the year 2030 or 2050 after 5 or 10 more Taxi fare increases ?
Are they still going to be charging a Fiver around town ?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 01:32:42 pm »
Things are done differently in rural areas. Maybe they should increase the fare to €6.00?

Show Unread Posts