Author Topic: FUCKING NONSENCE  (Read 3330 times)

john m

FUCKING NONSENCE
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:16:43 pm »
The National Transport Authority (NTA) is backing Dublin City Council in its standoff with Dublin Bus over the €10 million civic plaza plans for College Green.

The NTA had previously said its support for the council’s traffic-free plaza proposal was “contingent” on Dublin Bus being permitted to run two-way services on Parliament Street.

However, at the end of a three-week An Bord Pleanála hearing on the plaza, the NTA said it was now prepared to reverse this position and support the council’s plan which would push Dublin Bus out of the city centre zone.

The council has applied to the board to build the pedestrian and cycle plaza and ban all traffic, including buses and taxis, from accessing Dame Street through College Green.

Reclaiming College Green
College Green plaza alternatives not fully evaluated, hearing told
Taxi restrictions on College Green ‘pushing problem up the road’
Dublin Bus branded the plan “socially regressive” because, if buses were banned from crossing College Green, passengers from disadvantaged areas would have farther to walk to reach the city centre from their final stop, with large numbers of routes diverted to Winetavern Street west of Christchurch.

The bus company said it could accept the College Green ban only if it was allowed to run two-way services on Parliament Street, currently a one-way street.

However, the council said it had discounted two-way running on Parliament Street because of air pollution risks.

Early in the hearing, NTA director of transport investment Hugh Creegan said its support for the plaza was “contingent” on two-way bus running being facilitated on Parliament Street.

However, on the final day of proceedings Mr Creegan said the NTA would support the council’s position.

“Two-way bus operation on Parliament Street is our preferred arrangement following any closure of College Green to east west vehicular movement,” he said. “However, if two-way operation on Parliament Street is not permissible to be conditioned as part of this planning process, and I now understand that to be the case, we would in those circumstances recommend the granting of planning consent on the basis set out in the Dublin City Council application.”

Diverting buses to Winetavern Street was “technically workable” but not “the most desirable routing”, he said. If the council’s plans are approved, the NTA would assess other options for the required bus route changes, he said.

Ann Mulcrone, representing Dublin Bus, said Winetavern Street was “not a realistic option” for bus passengers, and would result in an “extreme severance of pedestrian linkage to

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: FUCKING NONSENCE
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 11:26:09 am »
It mightn't be as bad as you think.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:32:04 am »
I've gotten used to not going through College green anymore after avoiding the place when they were digging the place up.

john m

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 03:01:30 pm »
However, the council said it had discounted two-way running on Parliament Street because of air pollution risks. I thought Dublin Bus was getting new low carbon busses ? Wont be long before the Dirty Diesel Motor car is banned as well .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 01:25:50 pm »
All traffic is already banned from two way running on Parliament St, erm. It's a one way street.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 01:32:38 pm »
I'm guessing it used to be two way.With bike paths and 3 pedestrian crossings there would be little room for the buses to turn.The street is tiny and narrow.

It will be interesting to see how the buses will stop gently on the hill on Winetaven street.Maybe it's the same gobshites who thought the LUAS would fit on O'Connell bridge.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 01:57:04 pm »
It's been one way as long as I remember, the main change in my taxi driving time was the abolition of the left turn from the quays, that's quite inconvenient at times.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 02:06:54 pm »
I'd say SClass could tell us of times when the quays were two way on both sides if he wasn't sulking..

I think Stephens green has changed three times since I started as a courier.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:37:16 am by mercenary for hire »

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 02:11:41 pm »
I liked it when all the traffic flowed clockwise around it. In fact, when I started driving a cab I worked from Nuts Corner, now that's a fucking train station. Having two way sections is way too confusing so I tend to avoid it as much as I can these days. Thank God for Google Navigation!

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 11:37:53 pm »

The ERM's new shirt  >  8)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 01:09:05 pm »
Do they come in XXXXXXXObese?

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 03:59:57 pm »