Author Topic: Taxi driver ordered to pay 'the wrong man' €18k after traffic collision  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/taxi-driver-ordered-to-pay-the-wrong-man-18k-after-traffic-collision-36990596.html

A FORMER taxi driver on Friday told a judge the man who was suing him for €60,000 damages because of a traffic collision was not the man involved in the accident.

Judge Terence O’Sullivan nevertheless told Michael Finlay, of Corkage View, Clondalkin, Dublin, to pay “the wrong man” just under €18,000 for personal injuries and indicated he was only marginally dissuaded from awarding punitive damages against the taximan.

Barrister Barry Browne, counsel for the injured Marius Vrancean, told the Circuit Civil Court that when his client, a builder, turned up last week to prosecute his claim he had been told Mr Finlay did not recognize him as the driver he had spoken with at the scene.

Mr Browne, who appeared with Bismilla Solicitors, said the case had been adjourned to allow Mr Finlay, backed by his insurers AXA, change his defence to deny that Vrancean was the driver involved in the accident at all. He said his client was being openly accused of lying.

Vrancean, 42, told Judge O’Sullivan that Finlay’s cab had collided with the back of his car on the Navan Road on 5th May, 2015, causing him injuries to his shoulder and back and aggravating a replacement hip.

He had exchanged details and mobile phone numbers with Finlay and later attended for treatment at Blanchardstown Hospital.

Finlay in evidence said Vrancean was not the other driver he had dealt with.  This man had been more than six feet tall, was slim and had bushy black dishevelled hair, nothing like Mr Vrancean.

Forensic engineer Pat Culleton said the damage to both cars was not consistent with Mr Vrancean’s vehicle simply rolling back into the taxi as suggested by Mr Finlay. There had been a collision, albeit a minor one.

Judge O’Sullivan said he had been strongly influenced by Mr Culleton in accepting Mr Vrancean’s account of what had happened.  He said Mr Culleton was an expert witness who did not attempt to act as an advocate for anyone and did not push the boat out, telling it as he saw it “warts and all.”

The judge said he had paid particular attention to the demeanour of Mr Vrancean in the witness box when it was being suggested he was lying and that he was not involved in the accident at all.  He had struck him as a reliable and honest witness and he had been able to quote Mr Finlay’s mobile number as given to him at the scene.

Judge O’Sullivan said he had been asked to award aggravated damages to Mr Vrancean on the basis of his being “accused of being a liar or inventing the story” but he felt more inclined to the view that Mr Finlay’s memory, with the passage of time, had just proved to be faulty.

He awarded Mr Vrancean €17,826 and his legal costs against Mr Finlay.

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
I keep saying it... Get a dash cam
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

The Liffey Lip

I look forward to the day the man with a dash-cam ties the noose around his own Gregory in court...."You passed 4 cyclists before the accident, Mr Octy, and not once did you allow the mandatory 1.5 metres clearance, and still you insist on telling us........................" Also, you are obliged to inform everyone entering your cab that you have a dash cam just as you are if you have CCTV....

From Which magazine on Dash Cams:

Incriminating footage is a two-way street Most people's prime motive behind picking up a dash cam is to protect themselves legally should something untoward happen. However, you should also beware that that same footage can be used against you. Should you be pulled over by the police for a motoring violation they can ask for you to present your dash cam footage for review. For example a debate over just how far over the speed limit you were going can be quickly settled by footage from a dash cam with GPS tracking. Similarly, if you take another motorist to court over an incident, there's nothing to say that the judge won't hold your own footage against you should you be in the wrong. Deleting your own footage could potentially be a serious offence, too, so don't tamper with it if police confront you.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dash-cams/article/dash-cams-and-the-law-what-you-need-to-know - Which?

Make sure you mute the audio.......
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:11:48 am by The Liffey Lip »

Offline Octavia1

I look forward to the day the man with a dash-cam ties the noose around his own Gregory in court...."You passed 4 cyclists before the accident, Mr Octy, and not once did you allow the mandatory 1.5 metres clearance, and still you insist on telling us........................" Also, you are obliged to inform everyone entering your cab that you have a dash cam just as you are if you have CCTV....

Incriminating footage is a two-way street Most people's prime motive behind picking up a dash cam is to protect themselves legally should something untoward happen. However, you should also beware that that same footage can be used against you. Should you be pulled over by the police for a motoring violation they can ask for you to present your dash cam footage for review. For example a debate over just how far over the speed limit you were going can be quickly settled by footage from a dash cam with GPS tracking. Similarly, if you take another motorist to court over an incident, there's nothing to say that the judge won't hold your own footage against you should you be in the wrong. Deleting your own footage could potentially be a serious offence, too, so don't tamper with it if police confront you.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dash-cams/article/dash-cams-and-the-law-what-you-need-to-know - Which?

Have to dosagree lippy....
I tink your Cummin from a paranoia pint o view..... The ammount of cases of taxi drivers who's , freedom, and livelyhood have been saved by recorded data isotherm to be seen on the Internet.....
As a keen cyclist meself.... I treat every cyclist like they were me  own kids...
An if you drive under the speed limits an follow the rules of the road and act in a right an proper manner at all times.......
Then yuv absolutely nuttin to be worried about.....
Unless of course yu have paranoia because your up to no good or behaving the opposite to meself, ..
I usually give cyclists a whole lane berth..... So yu must been stalkin the wrong car  rofl

Offline Octavia1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2355655/Astria-Berwick-Woman-jailed-lying-police-taxi-driver-sexually-assaulted-cab.html

Turn off the audio??????
The audio is just as important....

This taxi driver wud got life in prison only for he was recording this phycopath audio on his phone.....

The Liffey Lip

I tink your Cummin from a paranoia pint o view..... The ammount of cases of taxi drivers who's , freedom, and livelyhood have been saved by recorded data isotherm to be seen on the Internet.....
As a keen cyclist meself.... I treat every cyclist like they were me  own kids...
An if you drive under the speed limits an follow the rules of the road and act in a right an proper manner at all times.......
Unless of course yu have paranoia because your up to no good or behaving the opposite to meself, ..
I usually give cyclists a whole lane berth..... So yu must been stalkin the wrong car  rofl

Ah, sure we have to disagree...people learn nothing if they keep agreeing. I'm glad you obey all the rules, Octy...like the fella who stood and didn't run when Lugs was chasing them....you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to fear. 8)

Offline Octavia1

Ah, sure we have to disagree...people learn nothing if they keep agreeing. I'm glad you obey all the rules, Octy...like the fella who stood and didn't run when Lugs was chasing them....you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to fear. 8)
Sorry can't agree wit dat lippy  lol

Offline Octavia1

Though I do agree about yur  pint bout rougue cops........these silly cunts caught on their own dash cam.........
https://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article212649229.html

The Liffey Lip

Nothin to worry about at all, at all, Octy..........

The new GDPR act and all that.........fuckin' harmless it is.............. rofl

GDPR states ‘Any person whose image is recorded on a CCTV system has a right to seek and be supplied with a copy of their own personal data from the footage.’

So, anyone who is captured by your CCTV cameras has the right to request that footage, it is seen as personal data. They must follow a procedure, but are perfectly within their rights. If any other individuals are visible in the footage, there needs to a footage redaction service provided i.e. blur out the faces of other individuals.

dalymount

I was once awarded 3 penalty points caught by a go safe van,and being aware of my right to request a photo of the alledged incident, I made a rwquest to the Garda office in tipperary.I was sent out a paper sheet,that was completely blackened out,except for a totally iledgable image ofa number plate,which they claim was mine.I wonder could I have challenged this in court ?

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that

What, f**king accidents? 8)

Offline Octavia1

What, f**king accidents? 8)
rofl
Only 8 we'r accidents silver.... The other 9 we'r planned  :D

Offline markmiwurdz

I was once awarded 3 penalty points caught by a go safe van,and being aware of my right to request a photo of the alledged incident, I made a rwquest to the Garda office in tipperary.I was sent out a paper sheet,that was completely blackened out,except for a totally iledgable image ofa number plate,which they claim was mine.I wonder could I have challenged this in court ?

Just wondering,are you disputing that you were speeding or are you just looking for photographic evidence?,if you are disputing there is a small arrow on the top of the photograph in among the data surrounding the snap that should be pointing the direction you were traveling vis a vis the van which if it's not means it wasn't you they were tracking.

dalymount

Clare daly got off on an interesting techicalliry some time ago.while in court her legal rep sought a copy of the contract between the government,and go safe.as none was presented in court that day,the judge dismissed the charge

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Taxi drivers should get double penalty points... get rid of the illegals that are giving us all a bad reputation.

Show Unread Posts