Author Topic: new car every year  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

new car every year
« on: June 10, 2018, 04:35:07 pm »
https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/news/317781/taxi-driver-james-anthony-mourned-across-donegal.html

When one mentioned the words “James Anthony” in Donegal Town and the environs, everybody knew exactly who one was referring to. 
James Anthony McGroary a man who was synonymous with Donegal Town and a man that never needed a surname - he was just 'James Anthony' to all.
James Anthony was born in Meenataggart outside Donegal Town, a place where he spent most of his life. He passed away on Monday last in the North West Hospice after a short but courageous battle with cancer. 
The popular taxi man never married but was never short of great company with his job affording him the opportunity of meeting so many people and travelling throughout the country.
James was a pioneer in the taxi or “ hackney business” as it was known then in Donegal Town. In business for almost sixty years at a time when not everybody had their own private transport, James was part of the social fabric of the town, bringing people to so many different destinations.
He had a firm policy of changing his car every year and had a new one in his garage ready for the road, but fate dealt a cruel blow to the man loved by everybody.
As a young person growing up in the town I have my own memories of this very genuine man.
On regular Sunday mornings his large grey Zephyr would ferry us - John Murphy, Paddy Gildea, Jim Weir to football pitches around the country. Ballinascreen, Cavan, Irvinestown, Casement Park and even a few visits to Croke Park.
Those were the days of the flask and sandwiches and maybe a Cavan Cola long before the glory days of the present Donegal squads.
Indeed he was a great man for bringing us to the dances throughout the county - the Fiesta in Letterkenny, Dunkineely, Leghowney on a Tuesday night. James had many stories to tell but true to his profession, he never revealed anything. He often said, “What happens in the car, stays in the car.”
He was also a man of great compassion - many's a trip he made to hospitals in Dublin bringing those on what may well have been their last trip from Donegal but he always had that positive attitude - “When would you like me to come up and collect you”
In times of emigration he was a regular to the airports in both Dublin and Shannon for their journeys to New York, London and even Australia.
One person commented, “James will be sadly missed by all - may his journey to Heaven be as comfortable as the many that he provided us all with.”
Another mentioned, “If you wanted the latest news, you didn't need the Democrat, James had it all!”
As a mark of respect the taxi rank was left vacant on Wednesday morning during his funeral mass at St. Mary's church which was attended by a huge crowd.
James was a member of a large family many of whom are now deceased, and is survived by his brothers Peter, Joe and Benny.

Offline mercenary for hire

Re: new car every year
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:53:04 pm »
That's like something Ken would write.

Offline watty

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 05:59:39 pm »
I wonder if RC could look up Mr McGroary's sorry, James Anthony's file and see what sort of cars he bought every year?

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 07:22:17 pm »
he was driving a 172 skoda superb when he died.
looks like he actually did buy a brand new motor every year.
mercy flower.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:29:08 pm »
He's still on the NTA driver app ready for work..I wonder what sort of hoops the NTA make your family jump through before they take yer piccy down.

Offline watty

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 07:33:56 pm »
Maybe I'm being stupid but is a licence number 32368 not a bit high for someone who was...
...In business for almost sixty years at a time when not everybody had their own private transport, James was part of the social fabric of the town, bringing people to so many different destinations.

I thought anything below (very approx) 20k was pre-dereg?

Maybe he was a secret lotto winner?

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 07:35:59 pm »
His badge number is new enough too....I've reported him on the NTA driver app for being eh dead...RIP.....We're gonna need 10 foreigners to replace him.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 07:36:12 pm »
brand new cars every year for the past 8 years at least according to the database.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 07:51:14 pm by Dr. Martin Gooter Bling »

Offline watty

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 07:49:12 pm »
The story says he drove a lot of people up & down to Dublin airport/hospitals.  Apparently, that's how the well-connected country lads make their money.  Depending on where you're based, it's e200-400 up to Dublin and, if you're lucky, you can get a pre-booked fare back for similar money.  Of course you have to deduct fuel, food & back-handers.   I guess 2 or 3 of them a week would get you a new car every year?

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 09:36:28 pm »
He was an L badge. Obviously done mini bus work before getting a joer

john m

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:17:40 pm »

Ken would do better .This lad thinks he can thug at the heartstrings with his hospital trips to Dublin . follow this tear jerker ...I had just finished setting bulbs in the flowerbed at the front of the house when the garda arrived and cast his dark shadow over my shoulder. He broke the news that young Sean had been involved in an accident at work and I needed to get to the hospital immediately.
On arrival at the hospital, I was shown into the High Dependency Unit. It was more like a TV studio than a hospital. Monitors and cables filled the room and placed in the middle like the yolk of an egg was young Sean.
He had received a bad head injury. His head had swollen to twice its normal size and taken on a jaundiced hue. The doctors had placed him into an induced coma to relieve the pressure. Dr Gupta looked concerned as he explained the procedure to me but I was listening with my eyes and could see young Sean was in grave trouble.
I sat beside his bed for nearly two days, the nurses attending to me as if I was the patient. One tall thin girl, April Foley, tried to assure me all would be well but a father knows what a father knows and I was not convinced.
There was only young Sean and myself at home. His mother had passed away when Sean was young and we had become each others best friend. He was only twenty seven and should have had his whole life ahead of him. Dr Gupta and April convinced me to go home and rest.
For the next few weeks I sat by his bedside every day and there was no improvement. The swelling and the jaundice had reduced but my boy had not recovered.Convinced that the doctors and nurses were not telling me everything I took to the internet. I Googled, I searched, I Googled some more and in the end I believed I would lose my son either to God or brain damage. I was sitting beside Sean's bed and for the first time since his mother's death I cried. April came and sat by my side and told me that she had seen patients make good recoveries and urged me not to give up hope but the concerned look on Dr Gupta's face as he checked on young Sean told me a different tale.
Today I knelt to cut the flowers from the bulbs I planted last year. I placed them into a vase on the kitchen table and a ray of sunshine fell on them. I poured myself a glass of Powers. Sean and April came and joined me. This time next year I'm looking forward to their wedding.

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 11:38:59 pm »
Maybe I'm being stupid but is a licence number 32368 not a bit high for someone who was...
...In business for almost sixty years at a time when not everybody had their own private transport, James was part of the social fabric of the town, bringing people to so many different destinations.

If you let your licence lapse, when you renew it you get a recent badge number, hence the L. If you don't believe me, ask Vikkiz!! 8)

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:58:50 am »

Ken would do better .This lad thinks he can thug at the heartstrings with his hospital trips to Dublin . follow this tear jerker ...I had just finished setting bulbs in the flowerbed at the front of the house when the garda arrived and cast his dark shadow over my shoulder. He broke the news that young Sean had been involved in an accident at work and I needed to get to the hospital immediately.
On arrival at the hospital, I was shown into the High Dependency Unit. It was more like a TV studio than a hospital. Monitors and cables filled the room and placed in the middle like the yolk of an egg was young Sean.
He had received a bad head injury. His head had swollen to twice its normal size and taken on a jaundiced hue. The doctors had placed him into an induced coma to relieve the pressure. Dr Gupta looked concerned as he explained the procedure to me but I was listening with my eyes and could see young Sean was in grave trouble.
I sat beside his bed for nearly two days, the nurses attending to me as if I was the patient. One tall thin girl, April Foley, tried to assure me all would be well but a father knows what a father knows and I was not convinced.
There was only young Sean and myself at home. His mother had passed away when Sean was young and we had become each others best friend. He was only twenty seven and should have had his whole life ahead of him. Dr Gupta and April convinced me to go home and rest.
For the next few weeks I sat by his bedside every day and there was no improvement. The swelling and the jaundice had reduced but my boy had not recovered.Convinced that the doctors and nurses were not telling me everything I took to the internet. I Googled, I searched, I Googled some more and in the end I believed I would lose my son either to God or brain damage. I was sitting beside Sean's bed and for the first time since his mother's death I cried. April came and sat by my side and told me that she had seen patients make good recoveries and urged me not to give up hope but the concerned look on Dr Gupta's face as he checked on young Sean told me a different tale.
Today I knelt to cut the flowers from the bulbs I planted last year. I placed them into a vase on the kitchen table and a ray of sunshine fell on them. I poured myself a glass of Powers. Sean and April came and joined me. This time next year I'm looking forward to their wedding.

Cheerful Berkshire Hunts here alright.

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 01:14:52 pm »

If you let your licence lapse, when you renew it you get a recent badge number, hence the L. If you don't believe me, ask Vikkiz!! 8)
But it would have to have lapsed for a year and a day
PLUS: AFAIK, the database would show up his original badge

Offline Korky

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 02:21:13 pm »
Off topic... psv are issuing the old brass drivers badges again to new license holders... I always liked them, glad they’re back.

Show Unread Posts