Author Topic: 50730  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« on: July 17, 2018, 03:34:38 pm »
Having had my phone stolen recently I was left with a few options for a temporary replacement until I got it back today - thanks to a nice, decent couple in Celbridge. Anywaysanall, I narrowed the options down to two old Chinese phones, one with a black strip down the left side of the screen (stood on it in Spain a couple of years ago) and another the brother gave me that appeared to be in good working order... so I selected the latter. I factory reset it from the UI settings menu and  loaded the few apps I needed for a few days and went to work Sunday evening...

At some point a pop up came on the screen - The way it works is there's several Xs in the window and clicking one will close the window (which will appear again as and when the phone switches from Network internet to WIFI or between WIFI networks) but clicking any of the others opens a web browser window, the content of which is irrelevant. The way the scam works is a simple tiny piece of text in the popup tells you that by continuing you agree to linked terms and conditions. The terms and conditions are simple enough, it gives the thieves (an outfit called Zamano) permission to programmatically read your phone number and send you as many texts as they like. Each text takes €2.50 from your balance if on prepay or charges it to your account on bill pay.

In my case they sent 8 texts all at the same time, leaving my balance below €2.50. Presumably they would have kept texting if more money was available and would start again next time I topped up or soon thereafter. Anyway I had to top up today to renew my all you can eat, etc with Three so figured I need to put an end to the theiving before doing that. Hence I found this link:

https://community.three.ie/t5/Billpay/Problems-with-57030/td-p/758035

On ringing the thieving bastards they immediately undertook to blacklist my number from their "service" and to refund the money they had stolen. Obviously they make their money through people who don't demand refunds and are probably just happy to stop it happening again.

As an aside, factory resetting the phone through the Chineses boot menu removed the malware that wasn't removed through the initial factory reset via the Android UI.

Offline SClass

Re: 50730
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:47:34 pm »
One plus 5T great phone.
8GB RAM
128 GB storage.

Offline watty

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 06:03:49 pm »
Be careful RC - they say bad things happen in threes   ::fight 
Better dig out any religious medals you have lying around!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 06:30:35 pm »
Indeed. I'm wound up about this phone scam now. It's one thing if someone puts a phone number into a "feedback" or "competition" form after being afforded some sort of chance to read terms and conditions, etc... but these scumbags helping themselves to phone numbers on devices is something else. Comreg reckon once they give the money back if asked it's fine, the mobile operators just say it's nothing to do with them - of course, they're getting commission on the money passed on to the scammers. I think I'll be getting on to my TD. The rules need to be changed - the onus should be on the phone company's to ask if you want to pay the scammer before any money changes hands.... or, maybe, I'll just set up one of these rackets for myself!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:17:45 pm »

Ya got that right. Poxy cat came in yesterday morning frothing from the mouth and having little seizures. Cost me over a deuce when I collected him from the veterinary today.

john m

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:31:49 pm »

Ya got that right. Poxy cat came in yesterday morning frothing from the mouth and having little seizures. Cost me over a deuce when I collected him from the veterinary today.

your so middle class you could of borrowed a dole card and brought it to the blue cross for a score .

Offline SClass

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 06:29:59 pm »

your so middle class you could of borrowed a dole card and brought it to the blue cross for a score .

A Deuce for a cat rofl
A smack of the spade accross the head put it out of it's misery,
Dig a Hole and on it goes.
No way a hard earned Deuce.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:10:12 pm »
Aaah no SC, I like animals... and, to be fair, the not so young lads unexpectedly threw in €50 each so a few hours in the cab will cover the rest. 

Anywaysanall, I'm up to number 4 now Watty! Went to work last night and after two jobs the door mirror glass (driver side) fell off so that put an end to that. Ordered one from the local motor factors so hoping it will be in by 5 as suggested. No reason for the yoke to fall off, it didn't get a bang and I didn't have the heater on - last time it happened was on the passenger side when a passenger closed the door without any excessive force but, on that occasion, I did notice that I'd left the heater on.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 12:52:52 pm »
That's a grand jammer ye have RC.....ye won't even have to scrap it at end of life.....it's doin it all by itself!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 01:36:10 pm »
To be fair, compared to it's predecessor, it's been pretty well behaved. Excluding that time it was written off and rebuilt at someone else's expense total maintenance since I got it in Jan '14 comes in at €2,731. However, it's covered a lot less mileage than Trigger's Brush.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 06:05:45 pm »
He got the mirror glass but unfortunately it's the wrong one. Aaah well, he reckons he'll have the right one tomorrow so another night off for me!

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 06:26:22 pm »
And here's me lookin for an excuse not to go out!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 06:39:43 pm »
... and me, who can't work without a door mirror. In the good old days a bitta tin foil woulda sufficed for a night or two.

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 07:14:28 pm »
... and me, who can't work without a door mirror. In the good old days a bitta tin foil woulda sufficed for a night or two.
Does the missus not have a make up mirror or compact mirror you could attach to the car to get you out to work

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 11:05:23 pm »
Does the missus not have a make up mirror or compact mirror you could attach to the car to get you out to work

They had to smash all the mirrors in the gaff....paranoid fukers!!

Show Unread Posts