Author Topic: Buying stuff  (Read 4273 times)

john m

Buying stuff
« on: November 28, 2018, 11:11:56 am »
Our kids mates bloke bought her a motor .For those of you with Church of Ireland schooling that means .My daughters friends boyfriend purchased his girlfriend a car .In the Motherland .He bought a part worm Leaf for £4500 brought it home sorted out vrt and gave it to his Pretty Princess anyhoo She brought in into Nissan in Dublin and they would not do any work on it .It turns out the seller did not own the battery pack .Seems as part of the sales drive for electric motors in the UK you could lease the battery pack .I was interested to find that out as I was considering looking at prices for part worn electric motors to import .

dalymount

Re: Buying stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 11:21:00 am »
Well regardless of wether a car is electric or not,I would never import again.I have found to my cost,that all the high spec you get,can actually end up costing you.when you go up on the NCT,if anything on your car like indicators,etc on the mirror is not working,you will be failed even though its not a legal requirement to have such indicators.I also heard only this morning,that the NCT have now ittroduced a further 110 checks all incuring a fail if not working properly.talk about a fukking money making racket

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:23:28 am »
Always thought the Motherland was Germany...and the Mainland was the UK,
I thought it was on the Renaults that the batteries were leased and Nissans were a straight sale....or did ye get the wrong end of a branch?

john m

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 11:29:31 am »
Always thought the Motherland was Germany...and the Mainland was the UK,
I thought it was on the Renaults that the batteries were leased and Nissans were a straight sale....or did ye get the wrong end of a branch?
I was lead to believe it was one of them leaf yokes .but it might be one of the other leaf type things anyhoo the battery is not the property of the seller .

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 11:37:06 am »
@Dalyer,
While having indicators on your mirrors is not a legal requirement...if the car has them they must be in working order,
I recently NCT'd my 33 yr old Citroen,i've been restoring it for 3 yrs,i replaced every fukin balljoint,rubbers that had perished..the car mechanically is like it rolled of the assembly line,i got plenty of welding done and yet yer man failed it on a small bit of what he called excessive corrosion...he just seemed intent on failing it...but when i got back to the car he had a sticker on the driver side window and windscreen saying "DANGEROUS..DO NOT DRIVE THIS VEHICLE"....me bollix,
They're putting them stickers on cars with tyres with less than 1.6mm thread on them.

dalymount

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:43:56 am »
I wd told this morning by a mechanic that there are 110 new checks introduced on top of the existing ones,and its much tougher to pass now.he told me that if one of your tyres even has a slight nick in it you are not allowed to take the car until you call a tow truck.according to the mechanic if you dont comply with the instruction,they inform the Gardai you are driving a dangerous vehicle

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 12:28:25 pm »
Yep...yer man said the same to me before i left the centre...whether they call the gardai is another thing,they have targets to meet,ringing 999 wouldn't be good for their stats.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 12:33:50 pm »
I drove a stickered one away before... the bonnet wouldn't close fully but I had a bit of string for it... anywaysanall, I didn't get pulled over, in fact given that the test was up above in Dublin it was probably through the retest complete with new bonnet before the fat, lazy fuckers answered the call... if a call was made.

dalymount

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 01:44:25 pm »
Apparently these all NEW fails 110 im told.its a wonder there has not been a human outcry from the public about this money making racket

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »
Cars ought to be maintained properly, particularly taxis. I still don't understand how we are allowed ply for hire after failing the NCT. The taxi decals and door stickers should be removed and the roof sign confiscated until it passes.

dalymount

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 03:30:48 pm »
I agree rat,cars SHOULD be maintained to a high standard,but some of the things I have heard people being failed on,is quite ridiculous.I can only conclude it is nothing more then a,money making racket

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 06:02:36 pm »
The only ridiculous fails I've experienced have been "advisory" e.g. tyres out of date, number plate lights not working... although, I get your point on the mirror indicators, if they're an optional extra on the car they should be advisory fails I guess.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 06:12:36 pm »
I  was failed on an interior mirror, luckily it was only a visual!

dalymount

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 06:13:31 pm »
Friend of mine was failed recently because one of his indicator bulbs was slightly more  orange then the other.the best one of all was 2 years ago I brought my duughters car up,and they failed it guess why ?-yer man said the display on the dash lighting was wrong.this requireda push of a button to change it,and I swear on life he failed it

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 06:17:24 pm »
although, I get your point on the mirror indicators, if they're an optional extra on the car they should be advisory fails I guess.

But they're not optional extras...they're standard equipment...you'll more than likely have to pay extra not to have them!!
Most cars that have them don't have the front wing mounted side repeaters anymore.

Show Unread Posts