Author Topic: UK Open Darts.  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: UK Open Darts.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 03:51:21 pm »
The game has it's roots in public bars, generally frequented by working class men... so you kinda expect players to be a bit rough and ready. I suppose Gerwyn Price would be viewed as a snob given his background in professional rugby but even he has at least one assault conviction in his past. Aspinall was actually pursuing a profession before turning professional in the darts arena... you can't always judge a buke by it's cover. Funnily enough, though, one of the ITV4 commentators suggested he is of Irish Traveller stock being a Corcoran - presumably on his mother's side. Can't say I've ever heard of the Corcorans being of any prominence in the travelling community. I know a few musicians of that name and the commentators made reference to some boxers who may or may not have been related to him... all quite insulting, IMO.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 07:28:45 am »
Aspinall has that look...........you see it in the eyes. Don't know anything about his traveller roots nor care. Cross comes across as reasonable enough man, I suppose, so I was being a little hard on him. However, Chisnall, Bunting, Durrant, Norris, Anderson(aside from the tats) and possibly all the Belgians and Dutch don't have that hardened look. I'd say the roughest of them is Suljovic......but he knows the game and he kow-tows to the ruling classes....being from a former Communist Bloc country helps. It's a sad day if one can't open one's mouth about Dart players..........this touchy-feely crap that Guerney goes on with can't take the game over entirely...........abject effeminisation of men has to be stopped....it has already destroyed soccer.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 01:01:27 pm »
To be fair to Gurney he answered MVG by agreeing with him and taking €60,000 outa his phoca. He did extend the argument to the point of ridicule in suggesting he was on the verge of packing it in... where else would a bloke who does nothing but play darts earn the kinda poke he's getting? I did find the chorus of boos amusing in Dublin though... I kid you not, one crowd of working class Dubs leading the chants were dressed in orange suits and chanting Barney Army before the night was out!

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 01:13:20 pm »
Yes...typical Irish........they hate being called out..........King Billy's troops were the ones wearing green etc.etc.. I've no problem with Gurney's religious affiliations, Rats, but he's very in-your-face with his pecks on the cheek and his arm-rubbing..........neither of which are easily reconcilable with Ulster Protestantism...........in fairness, if I was living in Ballymena or Limavady or, indeed, Greystones, I'd be a fundamentalist Baptist and a regular screeching parable-quoter. Some of the biggest bigots I've ever met never attended Mass or Sunday Service.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 03:47:23 pm »
Adrian Lewis started all that kissing and cuddling... I'd say a few blokes woulda liked to punch him over the years but he's a big unit... as is Gurney. I can't remember who it was on one of the walk ons went to kiss (presumably) his aulfella and the old lad jumped back a mile!

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 03:51:40 pm »
Gurney is/was a plumber near Lisnagelvin shopping centre, Derry/Londonderry/Maiden/Stroke City....the heartland of the Apprentice Boys............the Waterside tradesmen don't take kindly to any reference to the Bogside.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 03:53:58 pm »
They all drink beer and throw darts, the petty politics is irrelevant!

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 03:54:46 pm »
None too fond of puffs was my point....not one gay bar across the Foyle.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 04:53:44 pm »
Probably not many poofs throwing darts up there, the Nationalists wouldn't be too fond of them either.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 07:41:15 pm »
I was being a smartarse....waterside...hetero...............bogside....etc.

Show Unread Posts