Author Topic: Compulsive viewing  (Read 45912 times)

Offline silverbullet

Re: Compulsive viewing
« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2023, 01:44:21 pm »
michael douglas, benicio del toro, catherine zeta jones, don cheadle etc.
23 years old FFS. Did you finally take a night off? 8)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #361 on: April 13, 2023, 08:30:12 pm »
no i watched it in the car.
that android torrent yoke is the business.
i did Harry Brown last night. "You failed to maintain your weapon, san." bleedin brilliant.

i have Pale Rider, The Godfather part II and Master and Commander locked and loaded on my blower at the moment.

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
« Reply #362 on: April 14, 2023, 10:08:26 am »
Have really got into Beef on Netflix…..It has it all and funny inall!! lol rofl rofl
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #363 on: April 14, 2023, 11:20:34 am »
President Biden's visit to Ballina... live on RTE.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #364 on: April 14, 2023, 04:57:45 pm »
no i watched it in the car.
that android torrent yoke is the business.
i did Harry Brown last night. "You failed to maintain your weapon, san." bleedin brilliant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Z0yr49xXw#
i have Pale Rider, The Godfather part II and Master and Commander locked and loaded on my blower at the moment.

I really liked Harry Brown, with a great supporting cast.

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2023, 12:33:07 pm »

rofl rofl rofl
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline Belker

« Reply #366 on: April 17, 2023, 07:47:00 am »
I was afraid to look in to it !   oops

Offline John m

« Reply #367 on: April 17, 2023, 07:57:19 am »
Snooker ..jesus what a fucking mess of presenting it they have made of it .Some Bird who couldnt tell you the colour of the Chalk, and use to be players who at their best would not make todays top 32 dissecting every shot .Horse Racing on Telly "Lets go down to the Parade ring and see the best dressed fillys and ask loads of Gargled up muppetts what they like in the race and ask them to shout into the mike .Its Sport and some girl in a frilly frock is more likely to be interviewed than a Jockey or Trainer .Then out of work Soccer managers telling us what in work managers are doing wrong .My favourite is Brian Gleeson running along like a Kid with a problem pointing at the bookies board calling out numbers like punters dont know what the figures mean "two to one .You put on one you get two back plus your original one TWO TO ONE "
"War: a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #368 on: April 17, 2023, 02:21:58 pm »
Liveline... channel 200 on Saorview... discussing Dowdall, Hutch, etc...

Offline Belker

« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2023, 08:43:03 am »
Chimp Empire on netflix.
4 x 45 minute episodes, very good.

Octy prob love it as he is a half-breed between them and us !  lol

Offline Shallow Hal

« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2023, 07:55:13 pm »
Chimp Empire on netflix.

I thought he was a Viking....the chap is delusional!! lol

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #371 on: May 17, 2023, 11:44:55 pm »
Chimp Empire on netflix.

I thought he was a Viking....the chap is delusional!! lol
Octy's ancestor:
https://tenor.com/en-IE/view/quest-for-fire-caveman-big-laugh-gif-26939582 8)

Offline Belker

« Reply #372 on: June 12, 2023, 05:30:07 am »
Tex Mex on netflix, 8 x 50 min episodes.
All about a group of skilled professionals who buy and restore old classic cars fer resale.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #373 on: June 12, 2023, 11:33:27 pm »
Tex Mex on netflix, 8 x 50 min episodes.
All about a group of skilled professionals who buy and restore old classic cars fer resale.
Ermy wants to know do they do Taco-graphs? 8)

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #374 on: June 12, 2023, 11:39:03 pm »
VEEP:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/veep/s07

Final series 7.
Goodbye Veep: the nastiest, sweariest, funniest show on TV is over
Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ political antiheroine has shared her last insult, leaving and behind an audaciously meanspirited comedy that will stand the test of time

Charles Bramesco
Mon 13 May 2019 07.00 BST
In politics, the saying goes that everyone worries Washington is as cutthroat as House of Cards, and wants to believe it’s as nobly run as The West Wing. And yet the closest to the truth of the situation, to the idiocy and narcissism and vitriol fueling the US government, is Veep.

That Armando Iannucci’s blistering satire of the executive branch has persisted through two diametrically opposed real-life presidencies testifies to the universality of its viewpoint. Proper nouns change, administrations give way to new administrations, but malice and incompetence are forever. The series will come to a conclusion after seven years this Sunday, and in an amusingly Seinfeldian fashion: Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s hapless presidential contender Selina Meyer made a deal with the devil, accepting under-the-table assistance from a meddlesome China with the election, and now faces some rather troubling treason charges.

Veep, in no small part about how easily bad people can get away with things, seems poised to go with comeuppance and consequences in its final minutes. It’s an unexpected move, doling out just desserts in defiance of the cynicism that has always defined this show.

Hail to the Veep: the best and most brutal comedy of the century

The series began during the Obama years, and presented Meyer as the real-life president’s shadow-self in the American imagination – a Democrat who acted like a Republican (or worse) behind closed doors. She drained all the nicety from leftwing politics, plastering on a smile on the campaign trail, and then regarding her constituents with open contempt once she was away from the cameras. The writing staff has elevated foul language to a fine art, and Meyer got many of the most cutting lines. In one particularly memorable chewing-out, she compares an idiot colleague to a certain pastry used as a sex toy, in that “it doesn’t do the job, and it makes a fucking mess”.

Her character traits suggested a foundation of vanity behind the facade of liberal magnanimity, that even people fighting for righteous causes like Tibetan liberation only do so out of pure self-interest. The real purpose of Meyer’s work to spread good was not any sense of ethical duty as a public servant, but the propping-up of her own fragile ego. She’s a portrait of insecurity in her private moments, her coveted power forming a cocoon of flattery from the hangers-on. She insulates herself from criticism with a phalanx of yes men and women, each of them biding their time until they can sink a dagger in her back. Everyone’s building their own résumé and eyeing their next job, casting the basic work of governance in an unforgiving light as a last-person-standing contest.

The election of Donald Trump could have thrown a wrench into the show’s intricate workings, upending its understanding of an America hungover from all the talk of hope and change. Instead, the writers got meaner, nastier and more jaded. As America slipped into the early throes of a moronic variation on fascism, things grew more flagrantly unethical for Team Meyer. (See the China business mentioned above, a clear reference to Russia uncommon for a show generally resistant to one-to-one allusion.)

A stealth MVP also emerged in Jonah Ryan, the character with the steepest arc of development over the show’s tenure. Timothy Simons began playing the low-level operative as something in between a creep and a boob, too stupid to do much real harm unless by accident. But over the years, through a combination of upwards failure and inadvertent zeitgeist-seizing, Ryan ascended to the uppermost levels of the third-party fringe. This final season has refashioned him in Trump’s image, as an outsider challenger for the White House brass ring incapable of politics as usual. His racism is outmatched only by his sexism, he won’t stop using the word “retarded” and he has unwittingly entered an incestuous marriage with his half-sister. Still, by appealing to the lowest common denominator – a rapidly expanding demographic here in the States – he might just run away with the win.

By adapting through shifting social currents, and by fostering more raw malice than perhaps any other show on television, Veep has proven itself the only program capable of lampooning the otherwise comedy-proof Trump. Its black heart sets it apart from the scads of humorists taking puny potshots at a man begging for and immune to being made fun of. Fiction exists to show us the humanity in the inhumane; Veep’s superpower has always been its hatred, clean and true. Beyond Trump lies nothing, a vessel as empty and selfish as government itself. All you can do is laugh.

Show Unread Posts