Author Topic: Everything is Broken  (Read 10153 times)

john m

Everything is Broken
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:28:07 am »
Listening to Tributes to Gay Byrne and how Ireland has changed since Gay First Broadcast the Late Late Show and all the Good the Show did .What would Byrne of said about ,Hospitals that suffered their worst overcrowding of the year yesterday are now also being hit by a "bed-blocking" crisis.

The number of patients on trolleys soared to 679 yesterday, the worst figure this year and the second-highest ever.

But as hundreds of people waited for hours on trolleys to be admitted to a ward bed, an even higher volume of patients who no longer needed hospital care could not leave because of a lack of suitable step-down care.

The HSE confirmed that 684 of these patients who require transfer from the hospital to their home, nursing home or rehab were in beds.

Some country If your sick you cant get into hospital ,if your well you cant get out of hospital .Hospital overcrowding ,Homelessness,Drug Abuse ,no drinkable water .We are the Poster Child  of Europe as we look like we have bounced back from recession .We now live in the Ireland that Gay Byrne Championed a Free Liberal thinking Ireland we are No better off than we were in the 60s with Homelessness ,Poverty No access to Hospitals Back then we had the Irish Hospital Sweepstakes to try to raise money to build hospitals ,The Church built schools the Corpo Built Homes .But now its great we got Womens Lib ,Gay Marrage,Abortion on Demand,Divorce all the ideals that were going to Free The People .I wonder apart from Social Engineering are we any better off today than we were the First Night the Late Late Show was broadcast are we any happier or contented .What exactly did Gay Byrne and his TV show actualy achieve .To listen to Duffy,Kenny ,Veradkar you would think Gay Byrne was the second comming of Christ .

dalymount

Re: Everything is Broken
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 07:53:27 am »
And in spite of all the shortages you pointed out, the politicans STILL want us to welcome foreigners here this is only because they want their business buddies to be able to avail of the cheap imported labour from both inside, and outside of the EU

john m

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 09:38:03 am »
Social Engineering Dalymount .America were the first and most successfull at it .Trump is now against it as he dosent want the rest of the World to prosper.Its a bit like adding water to Whiskey the Whiskey is still there .Some people like a drop of water in their Whiskey others dont The present State of the Nation re Homeless Hospitals,Schools ,Is more Social Engineering nothing to do with a few immigrants .Look at the clothes on your back or the furniture in your Home or the car you drive or the Food you eat not to much of it is Irish Manufactured .What was once the Isle od Saints and Scolars is now the Island of Drunks and Junkies .The definition of an Irish Family is a group who can afford a Home +a Car + Life Insurance and health Insurance .It wasent Foreigners or Imigrants who passed referendia to turn Ireland into a Liberal anything goes state .That was a Government plan to attract overseas companies to invest here .Dalymount the Ireland you long for never existed and the one you imagine is dead and buried

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:42:30 pm »
Are you suggesting that we should return to wife beating, incest and institutional child abuse with mass graves to dispose of the evidence, Erm. While we're at it we could turn a blind eye to developers, bankers and politicians robbing the country blind.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:52:02 pm »
And in spite of all the shortages you pointed out, the politicans STILL want us to welcome foreigners here this is only because they want their business buddies to be able to avail of the cheap imported labour from both inside, and outside of the EU

To be fair, as far as our trade is concerned, the immigrants earn at least as much as those of us who are Irish by accident of birth. In fact I had a phone call from your favourite dispatcher (Free Now) this morning during which I was told their top driver took in €133,000 last year from an average of 61 jobs per week. Not bad for driving a motor?

dalymount

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 02:26:33 pm »
I wonder would they tell the tax man about your colleagues earnings , I reckon they would. Speaking of tax matters rat, you might just be the man to tell me. Do you know anything about this 100 euro a week you can claim for letting a room in your house ?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 02:53:50 pm »
It was the first question I asked the man on the phone, DM... unsurprisingly he couldn't tell me how much income tax that driver paid or how much was paid by any of the many others he suggested have takings in excess of €120,000 from base jobs alone. Under current legislation it's not within their remit to disclose drivers' takings to the taxman. However, while one might suspect it wouldn't be in their interests to do so, they have a history of offering anonymised data to relevant authorities.

One thing that is becoming blatantly obvious is that this gig economy thing is really quite significant. Perhaps Govt or Europe should take it seriously and introduce a withholding tax regime.

The rent a room scheme is pretty straightforward. The rent you collect in respect of a room in your sole or main residence is exempt from Income Tax provided the total doesn't exceed €14,000 per annum. There are some exclusions e.g. you can't claim in respect of rent paid by your child or civil partner or by your employer or in respect of short-term/holiday lettings. Full details are available at:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/land-and-property/rent-a-room-relief/index.aspx
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:03:28 pm by Rat Catcher »

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 03:26:38 pm »
It was the first question I asked the man on the phone, DM... unsurprisingly he couldn't tell me how much income tax that driver paid or how much was paid by any of the many others he suggested have takings in excess of €120,000 from base jobs alone. Under current legislation it's not within their remit to disclose drivers' takings to the taxman. However, while one might suspect it wouldn't be in their interests to do so, they have a history of offering anonymised data to relevant authorities.

One thing that is becoming blatantly obvious is that this gig economy thing is really quite significant. Perhaps Govt or Europe should take it seriously and introduce a withholding tax regime.

The rent a room scheme is pretty straightforward. The rent you collect in respect of a room in your sole or main residence is exempt from Income Tax provided the total doesn't exceed €14,000 per annum. There are some exclusions e.g. you can't claim in respect of rent paid by your child or civil partner or by your employer or in respect of short-term/holiday lettings. Full details are available at:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/land-and-property/rent-a-room-relief/index.aspx
Rat, I would think that if the Revenue people want to find out about one's income they will knock on whatever
door's(Banks/Lending Institutions/FN etc) they so wish and demand answers.
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 03:35:30 pm »
You're on the right tracks. While they won't knock on doors, as such, if they know you work for Free Now they will want to see every statement you received from that firm in the event of an audit. They may also require you to get letters from up to 5 banks within the State detailing any accounts you hold.... so, in effect, the taxpayer is required to knock on the doors for them.

However, I think what DM was getting at is whether they routinely return such data to Revenue. The answer to that is that it is not within their remit under current legislation. Obviously a withholding tax regime would place an onus on firms like Free Now and Uber to make detailed returns of specific data.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 03:42:43 pm »
You're on the right tracks. While they won't knock on doors, as such, if they know you work for Free Now they will want to see every statement you received from that firm in the event of an audit. They may also require you to get letters from up to 5 banks within the State detailing any accounts you hold.... so, in effect, the taxpayer is required to knock on the doors for them.

However, I think what DM was getting at is whether they routinely return such data to Revenue. The answer to that is that it is not within their remit under current legislation. Obviously a withholding tax regime would place an onus on firms like Free Now and Uber to make detailed returns of specific data.
And withhold a certain amount for the revenue ?
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 03:54:40 pm »
Yes, a regime similar to Professional Services Withholding Tax would seem appropriate given the huge sums involved. In simple terms Free Now and Uber would deduct a %, probably 20%, of total fares from each driver's payment (if any) each week and the driver could then claim the total of such deductions as a tax credit when he submits the relevant annual return.

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 04:35:03 pm »

To be fair, as far as our trade is concerned, the immigrants earn at least as much as those of us who are Irish by accident of birth. In fact I had a phone call from your favourite dispatcher (Free Now) this morning during which I was told their top driver took in €133,000 last year from an average of 61 jobs per week. Not bad for driving a motor?
Him and his 4 brothers working the same taxi ratti ....
I seen them switching cars few times ....in the dark they all look the same
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 05:18:25 pm »
Indeed, sharing a car would probably increase profit. I suppose having 4 drivers to a car is good from a road safety perspective, keeping working hours per man in check.

Offline watty

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 05:41:21 pm »
€133k / 52weeks / 61 jobs = €42 per job...
€133k / 48weeks / 61 jobs = €46 per job...
(if my sums are right)

You sure it wasn't a director of the company making €133k off the backs of 61 drivers?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 05:49:44 pm »
That wasn't lost on me, Watty. Just for context he was trying to convince me that pre-bookings are lucrative in response to my telling him I have less than no interest in them. He said the top ten drivers concentrate on prebookings and have the highest average fares. I suspect the €133,000 is correct but the 61 jobs was probably just taken from what the relevant driver done last week and presented as an average... coincidentally 61 jobs just about scrapes a gold star which one would imagine is necessary to get the pick of high fare prebookings.

Anywaysanall the only reaction he got from me is that €320/week freight is crazy money given that we used to pay a quarter of that before Hail0 came along and, as above, I asked how much income tax the driver in question paid... he didn't know that.

Show Unread Posts