Author Topic: Dare I ask..  (Read 5933 times)

Offline U Wha

Dare I ask..
« on: January 07, 2020, 02:52:05 am »
Is there an appetite for a driver owned app?

Whistle torpedoed the opportunity a couple of years ago but this increase may create a space?

Just asking.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: Dare I ask..
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 02:59:28 am »
Yep but it needs to launch next Monday.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 03:26:41 am »
why does'nt the nta have their own app.
they already own our plates.
makes too much sense.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 04:41:56 am »
makes too much sense.
Doubt if NTA would start up against an established private enterprise. FN would object to unfair competition due to NTA's dominant regulatory position. Might be no harm to print up and start a petition for same and present to NTA/TFI. A (semi) retired driver with no need of, or fear from FN would be the ideal candidate to front same.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline U Wha

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:37:22 am »
makes too much sense.

Agree that would be the best solution but it will never happen for the reasons stated by Bob Shillin.

I was sort of pissed off when Whistle fxxked it up because it killed the perception of trust in a driver owned entity.

But it just might have worked out for the better. I didn't agree with Whistles methods because I had my own idea of what would work.

So more than likely it may have been doomed to failure. Not because a driver owned app is a bad idea.

But its success would be determined by knowing what drivers actually need?

a) No apps at all? Never going to happen now.

b) State owned app? Never going to happen either.

c) Driver owned app that delivers value for taxi drivers.

What is that value?  Less commission, more say and/or control.

Need to ask a lot of drivers, identify common needs and make the app deliver just that and keep on improving it with driver feedback.

Doesn't need to be a fancy app to start with as long as it functions. Creating awareness and trust in it is key.

john m

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 08:48:01 am »
Your back with this old cherry .Have you ten Million to launch it .We drivers gave Hailo 2 euro per job in free PUC for years that could be as much as ONE HUNDRED MILLION of our potential earnings then 5 minutes FREE waiting time worth possibly another 20 MILLION of our potential earnings .You are wasting your time trying reinvent the wheel .So the answer to your question is stop wasting the internet ,and your time .

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 09:13:10 am »
What do you need millions for anyway?I dunno how you can't understand that a mass switch to another app could be done.The passengers will use whichever one gets them a taxi.

The reason flag isn't gaining traction is because they're pushing more card payments and Dave doesn't have the trust of drivers because of his previous involvement with Hailo.

john m

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 09:21:08 am »
Flag was a ridicilous waste of energy .Their selling point was drunk students who had no cash could get credit for a taxi home .What driver wants to pick up drunken student scum .Hailo had the support of drivers when it launched any new venture would need the same support and the reality is if a few thousand drivers left FN the remaining drivers would take up the slack .The best we can do it try to claw back the work that Credit card payments affords us now that we must all accept card .Our selling point is we are there just stick out your hand dont waste time waiting for a driver who might be miles away to come find you .The apps have a place in the industry but we need to focus on all the work available on street and how to get more of that type of work back .

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 09:25:57 am »
That was my idea by the way Erm....you know the one about pushing our own card payments...dont bleeding ruin it by mixing it in with your own crazy..

But it should be done in conjunction with denial of service to Freenow and signing up to alternative apps.Even if it means using Uber/Flag.They have the systems in place so use it to hammer FN on their conditions.We don't have to stay on their apps in the long term.

john m

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 09:34:54 am »
That was my idea by the way Erm....you know the one about pushing our own card payments...dont bleeding ruin it by mixing it in with your own crazy..

But it should be done in conjunction with denial of service to Freenow and signing up to alternative apps.Even if it means using Uber/Flag.They have the systems in place so use it to hammer FN on their conditions.We don't have to stay on their apps in the long term.

I expected more from you .Why would you support an alternative app and give them more Workcapture its less Apps we need not more .What you are suggesting is Appaparthied refuse to work for one app while promoting another Frankinstines Monster .Jesus Wept .

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 09:48:52 am »
Drivers and passengers are app addicts.Think of Flag/Uber/Taxy as a methadone programme until a better plan comes along.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:55:24 am by mercenary for hire »

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 09:58:18 am »
Have you switched from one provider of a service to another? (phone/energy/internet)
If no ... you're an idiot, if you did then why?
Why would a Free Now user switch to another app?
If you think they'd switch because it's operated by taxi drivers ... think again!
Most switch because the service is cheaper, but some switch because the service is better.
Why do people shop in the local butcher that's dearer than Tesco?
Why do people shop in Avoca?
If you plan on charging full whack, you'd better be providing quality or offering a local/niche product.
Personally I reckon a small group offering a close to metered fixed fare (preferably a meaty fare), to/from a set point/area to another is the best option (works for me) or possibly golf trips / tours if you have the correct personality/vehicle.
Set up / advertise and operate via Facebook for little or no cost.
see ya!

john m

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 10:05:04 am »
Have you switched from one provider of a service to another? (phone/energy/internet)
If no ... you're an idiot, if you did then why?
Why would a Free Now user switch to another app?
If you think they'd switch because it's operated by taxi drivers ... think again!
Most switch because the service is cheaper, but some switch because the service is better.
Why do people shop in the local butcher that's dearer than Tesco?
Why do people shop in Avoca?
If you plan on charging full whack, you'd better be providing quality or offering a local/niche product.
Personally I reckon a small group offering a close to metered fixed fare (preferably a meaty fare), to/from a set point/area to another is the best option (works for me) or possibly golf trips / tours if you have the correct personality/vehicle.
Set up / advertise and operate via Facebook for little or no cost.
see ya!

Hello Martin .

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 10:08:06 am »
Meanwhile the rest of the fleet have gone back to work so they can pay 12% for a few more days.

dalymount

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 10:51:17 am »
Its gas .after all the coming and going,and technical assments about apps,and dispatchers etc etc yis will finally realise what I have been saying all along was right .REINTRODUCED SIMPLICITY to the industry,get rid of all this unwanted technical shite,and let the punters just stick out their hands when they want a taxi.the dispatchers have complicated a simple business.punters only want apps because they exist.if they did not exist,people would not call for them.dispatchers complicated a simple industry,by introducing all this shitr

Show Unread Posts