Author Topic: Dare I ask..  (Read 5929 times)

The Liffey Lip

Re: Dare I ask..
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 10:52:55 am »
The front-line troops are always the last to cop ze war is over.....

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 11:49:33 am »
Valid points from a few contributors, my STG£0.02 worth:

If lobbying NTA concentrate on PUC. The cost of base/app jobs has just increased by 25%. If we take the average fare as €12 the pro rata increase works out at €3 per job hence we need PUC increased from €2 to €5.

If making an app, keep it simple. You don't need a payment system just integrate Sumup and Revolut. Base it on Google Maps, it's cheap, easy and quick. Use AWS for server resources, it can be scaled up or down in a highly cost effective manner so you can put something together that, if unsuccessful, doesn't have to disappear but could hang around in the background doing little or nothing and costing little or nothing. Finally, don't think you're inventing something of value, you're not. Open source it... the whole lot of it.

Ideally what is required at this stage is what BS first suggested. An organiser. Maybe you could take on that role, UW? Whether your primary interest is to lobby NTA, lobby Free Now or devise a driver owned app the first thing you need is the support of drivers. There's no reason why a petition couldn't or shouldn't identify all 3 of those objectives as potential strategies. What I would suggest - and I'd be happy to help with the tech side - is a simple website inviting drivers to register their support for some or all of those objectives in one place.

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 12:45:47 pm »
Don't want to sound presumptuous, but I'd say the only man for most of what you've suggested is yourself, Rats. Very few would have your command of the lingo and even fewer would have your patience....lobbying is not easy. I've no doubt being your own P.R. man would be key too.....so many potential banana-skins with the mouthpieces on here. John M might support you in the endeavour as a pillar of indubitable integrity....etc. I'd say it could be done if you can extend yourself 15 ways from Friday... not taking the piss......wishing you well or anyone as brave to take it on.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 01:10:50 pm »
No, it's not something I would be any good at. I don't suffer fools gladly and, as is evident from my criticisms of our many trade Unions and their inept bosses/enforcers/proprietors, I wouldn't be a unifying influence. Furthermore, I don't do social media. Someone who can bring drivers together is what's required, ideally someone who is reasonably articulate. Like I said I'd be happy to help with the project on the mundane background stuff provided it's focussed on the stated objectives.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 01:14:23 pm »
Reasonably articulate....maybe we could ask one of the Pakistani lads?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 01:18:36 pm »
Frank Byrne was great at the PR side but I'd say he got his fill of it... there was another lad (immigrant from the mainland) on a video of the Oireachtas Committee hearing that someone posted a while ago that struck me as being a cut above the norm...

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 01:20:48 pm »
I'd have thought the artist formerly known as Spookie was perfect for the role? Some say he's active here....no idea. Either way, unity is a myth when there's no coal in the mine.

Offline Horse

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 03:32:04 pm »
Valid points from a few contributors, my STG£0.02 worth:

If lobbying NTA concentrate on PUC. The cost of base/app jobs has just increased by 25%. If we take the average fare as €12 the pro rata increase works out at €3 per job hence we need PUC increased from €2 to €5.

If making an app, keep it simple. You don't need a payment system just integrate Sumup and Revolut. Base it on Google Maps, it's cheap, easy and quick. Use AWS for server resources, it can be scaled up or down in a highly cost effective manner so you can put something together that, if unsuccessful, doesn't have to disappear but could hang around in the background doing little or nothing and costing little or nothing. Finally, don't think you're inventing something of value, you're not. Open source it... the whole lot of it.

Ideally what is required at this stage is what BS first suggested. An organiser. Maybe you could take on that role, UW? Whether your primary interest is to lobby NTA, lobby Free Now or devise a driver owned app the first thing you need is the support of drivers. There's no reason why a petition couldn't or shouldn't identify all 3 of those objectives as potential strategies. What I would suggest - and I'd be happy to help with the tech side - is a simple website inviting drivers to register their support for some or all of those objectives in one place.
Out of all of this that is the best suggestion I've heard. The puc needs to be increased, maybe €5 is a bit hefty but certainly somewhere between 3 and 4. Or maybe the puc is a percentage of the fare, like 20% or so. A fare of a tenner or under would incur a puc of €2, €10 to €20 fare us a puc of €3 and €20 and beyond is a puc of €4. That's just random numbers but for sure the puc needs to be increased to cover the increasing charges of picking a passenger up. As we're getting an increase soon, now would be the ideal time to lobby the nta to incorporate it into the fare increase.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 04:53:37 pm »
I'm amused at those who hardly work trying to influence those who do.

dalymount

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 05:02:07 pm »
Why do you allow a dispatchet to decide i you get a PUC  or not ? Since I became a taxi driver,I have never seen an industry who have TOLTAL power to run that industry,but take delight in allowing a bunch of crooks (dispatchers) take that power from them.I have to ask the question the,is it that you are all institutionalised in a paye way of thinking that you cannot run your own business ? Sometimes I do be absolutely gobsmacked by the lack of initiative,or ambition taxi drivers show in running their own affairs

john m

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 05:10:44 pm »
Why do you allow a dispatchet to decide i you get a PUC  or not ? Since I became a taxi driver,I have never seen an industry who have TOLTAL power to run that industry,but take delight in allowing a bunch of crooks (dispatchers) take that power from them.I have to ask the question the,is it that you are all institutionalised in a paye way of thinking that you cannot run your own business ? Sometimes I do be absolutely gobsmacked by the lack of initiative,or ambition taxi drivers show in running their own affairs

Any news Dollyer on your procedure ?

dalymount

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 05:42:59 pm »
Divil a bit John,other then the news that the surgeon has the mary loo ,and therefore no op this week

Offline Lizzzy

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 05:50:19 pm »
Divil a bit John,other then the news that the surgeon has the mary loo ,and therefore no op this week

I know what he's going through, I have the flu now for 3 days.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 06:14:00 pm »
Can't see the wisdom in seeking a PUC increase. FN will be around for a long time yet. More money for them and the hotels
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 06:38:42 pm »
Base costs are directly attributable and restricted to base/app jobs. The monopolisation of that work by Free Now has increased the cost of it substantially... that cost can't be carried by drivers, we need to pass it on - on a pro rata basis. Market forces will determine if it equates to more or less money for dispatch firms. Demand for those services ought to decrease as the cost of them increases, the point of equilibrium is largely dependent on how much the dispatch firms want or need to provide the service.

Show Unread Posts