Author Topic: Return to work? 8th June? 29th June? 20th July?  (Read 24694 times)

john m

Re: Return to work? 8th June? 29th June? 20th July?
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2020, 12:04:00 pm »
Should we bother extending the reduced insurance cover into June?

yes you can always reactivate it if necessary .

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2020, 12:04:11 pm »
Extend it then phone them again if/when you change your mind.Not a big deal for them.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2020, 02:21:25 pm »
I extended my reduced cover into June with AXA this morning,licence suspended until June 19th also.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2020, 09:00:28 pm »
I suspended my SPSV insurance until the end of June, NTA haven't rang me yet but when they do I'll continue the licence suspension provided it can be terminated prior to expiry.

Offline Belker

« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2020, 04:35:47 am »
I'm thinking of going back on June 1st.Anymore than two and a half months off and I might get lazy.
Truth is,I'm completely bored and can't wait to get out for a bit of freedom.
The money is a bit secondary.
If'n your going back Van D be sure to sign off the Covid payment because
Revenue will pick on Taxi drivers when this is all over as we are the easiest targets of all.
I simple call from revenue to FN requesting a list of drivers working during the pandemic and cross check that with those drivers that claimed the 350 and job Oxo, most likely they will need a court order/warrant fer each case and that should take all of a day.
Any Taxi driver working FN and claiming the 350 then expect a knock at your door !

Offline Belker

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2020, 05:07:58 am »
I wouldn't have said this a week ago but I hope they cut the 350 on 10th June, as it will give me an excuse to go back working. I have had enough of this holiday now, id rather be out there earning 200 euro per week than getting 1000 euro a week sitting at home.
+1
I tried staying at home and fer 3 weeks legitimitly claimed the 350, but boredom set in watching the 4 walls closing in and after getting my Third Covid 350 payment, I broke the Gov link and went back to work. Best decision I ever made, another week at home and it was either a treatment center or a mental asyulm fer me !

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2020, 07:37:21 pm »
NTA called me today wit two choices, get new stickers installed or extend the current suspension. I opted to suspend the licence for June but I can reactivate at any time.

Credit where credit is due... they are looking after us extremely well.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2020, 08:07:11 pm »
Yeah...they're great!!

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2020, 11:02:19 am »
It will be interesting to see how they plan to cut the payment to those who would normally get less than €350 if working, will it be self declaration or will revenue check everyone's previous income?
For those of us self employed other factors come in to play such as seasonal adjustments/capital expenditure etc all of which which can skew calculations.
Similarly, I guess PAYE workers, particularly those most affected in the leisure/tourism industry would have more work/overtime in the Summer months, so a weekly average over the year wouldn't be a fair calculation.

« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2020, 11:09:31 am »
The scheme already in place I think gives 70% of 2018 earnings for self-employed.In that case most of yous will probably be better off than on 350 a week.I will be worse off.

Freenow have more data on taxi drivers than any other dispatcher.All they have to do is say they can't meet demand and a the ones left on government supports will be weaned off or told to get a real job.

Their definition of not meeting demand is having cars all over the kip doing one job an hour.Good for them but bad for us.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:15:53 am by mercenary for hire »

john m

« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2020, 11:11:09 am »
I would think sectorial adjustments would be the way to go .If they reopen retail then anybody in the retail sector will be told you may return to work 203 if you dont same for leisure if they open restaurants .I would think we will be treated differently .I think they still want to control movement and will allow us to react to demand as we see it plus traceability will be important so they wont want to promote untraceable transport .Busses and trains will become cash free they will insist on leap cards for traceability .

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2020, 11:34:22 am »
The scheme already in place I think gives 70% of 2018 earnings for self-employed.In that case most of yous will probably be better off than on 350 a week.I will be worse off.

Freenow have more data on taxi drivers than any other dispatcher.All they have to do is say they can't meet demand and a the ones left on government supports will be weaned off or told to get a real job.

Their definition of not meeting demand is having cars all over the kip doing one job an hour.Good for them but bad for us.

I'm sure if asked they'd say demand is a small fraction of what it was last year, (they won't be asked)

I would think sectorial adjustments would be the way to go .If they reopen retail then anybody in the retail sector will be told you may return to work 203 if you dont same for leisure if they open restaurants .I would think we will be treated differently .I think they still want to control movement and will allow us to react to demand as we see it plus traceability will be important so they wont want to promote untraceable transport .Busses and trains will become cash free they will insist on leap cards for traceability .

Isn't that supposed to be happening already? if your job is open you're supposed to return to it ... I'm still unsure why that doesn't apply to Taxi drivers ... I think it's because the self employed are allowed self access whether or not their individual business is currently viable, so some have returned and others haven't.

A Taxi driver that bought a brand new Mercedes 2 years ago (some did) would have declared very little income last year as he would have had a large capital allowance (one of the advantages of the job and purchasing better vehicles) It would seem unfair to punish said driver and to benefit those who provide a shit heap service but declare higher incomes. The tax accrued to the state from the sale of the vehicle would outweigh the income tax payed by the miserly fucker in the ancient Prius.

« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2020, 11:46:55 am »
Cheeky fuk!I'm doing yis a favour.

I've no sympathy for the new car owners out there.It's only been ten years since the last round of misery.Covid has probably brought forward a recession that was inevitable.How did they not see a downturn coming?It happens every seven to ten years.

Unfortunately the tax write off for buying newer motors only covers a fraction of the purchase price.I'd don't place any value in owning a rapidly depreciating asset.Did yis not do business studies in secondary school?Little bit of economics maybe?

Trying to wind me up with yer S class comments.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2020, 11:51:55 am »
Cheeky fuk!I'm doing yis a favour.

I've no sympathy for the new car owners out there.It's only been ten years since the last round of misery.Covid has probably brought forward a recession that was inevitable.How did they not see a downturn coming?It happens every seven to ten years.

Unfortunately the tax write off for buying newer motors only covers a fraction of the purchase price.I'd don't place any value in owning a rapidly depreciating asset.Did yis not do business studies in secondary school?Little bit of economics maybe?

Trying to wind me up with yer S class comments.

You're too easy  rofl

« Reply #179 on: May 25, 2020, 12:14:45 pm »
If I'm on here there's some DIY I'm avoiding so I don't mind.

Show Unread Posts