Author Topic: sum up reader not working  (Read 11693 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

sum up reader not working
« on: June 28, 2020, 05:00:19 pm »
it stopped working three nights ago yet it will work with my own card when I tested it.
7 separate fares in a row and it would'nt work.
transaction failed.
any idea what the crack is.

dalymount

Re: sum up reader not working
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:04:42 pm »
Do ya not take greenbacks doc ?

john m

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:12:27 pm »
it stopped working three nights ago yet it will work with my own card when I tested it.
transaction failed.

Does it work on that German corrupt system .If not then you might of reached your limit ,to prevent money laundering you might need to update your profile on it .

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 05:22:41 pm »

I do preferably but sometimes people realise they have'nt enough dosh on them and it's handy when you can whip out the old white knight (ooooh matron!) instead of going on a goose chase to find an atm.
which brings me to my second problem that I've encountered a few times.
when passengers have their FreeNow payment set on cash they can't switch to an account payment.
I picked a girl up and it was a cash payment and she said I've no lolly I'll pay through the account instead.
she was fiddling like fuck with her phone and I eventually wooled it off her and it just would'nt let me highlight card over cash on her app.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 05:25:23 pm »
The only difference between a transaction using your own card and someone else's would be the distance between your phone and the reader (bluetooth failing?) Is the sum up reader fully charged?
Try moving your phone and the reader together (keeping them close while the transaction takes place)
Only trouble I have with the sumup reader is that sometimes it takes a few tries to connect via bluetooth (often at the airport for some reason)

Offline watty

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 05:31:41 pm »
Open to correction on this but if she doesn't have a card registered on the FN app, she can't pay by card automagically. 

Open to correction #2 but I think there is an option for non-FN people to pay using their card.  On the FN front page, you swipe the ^ in the bottom left and one of the options is to pay by card.  I've only used it once or twice.  Maybe a FN cash-only person can pay by card that way?  Now that I think about it, I can't remember how the passenger swaps the card info with FN?

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 05:37:11 pm »
The only difference between a transaction using your own card and someone else's would be the distance between your phone and the reader (bluetooth failing?) Is the sum up reader fully charged?
Try moving your phone and the reader together (keeping them close while the transaction takes place)
Only trouble I have with the sumup reader is that sometimes it takes a few tries to connect via bluetooth (often at the airport for some reason)

Ide trouble too at the airport...I found that just before I got to the airport I would press the  restart button on the phone
And it worked after but yis all do that I presume...
I updated the sumup few weeks ago  an havnt a clue how it works now ....will hav to figure it out wen I usin it again
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 05:37:18 pm »

I do preferably but sometimes people realise they have'nt enough dosh on them and it's handy when you can whip out the old white knight (ooooh matron!) instead of going on a goose chase to find an atm.
when passengers have their FreeNow payment set on cash they can't switch to an account payment.
I picked a girl up and it was a cash payment and she said I've no lolly I'll pay through the account instead.
she was fiddling like fuck with her phone and I eventually wooled it off her and it just would'nt let me highlight card over cash on her app.

That's a feature of the App, You can switch from card to cash (makes sense if the card is declined)
But you cannot switch from cash to card (I guess the developers decided there wouldn't be a need to do that?)

john m

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:40:06 pm »
Doc do you have revolute .Its the go to app for younger people .

Offline vandriver

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 05:42:19 pm »
I resetted the Bluetooth on my phone-didnt work .
Resetted the sumups bluetooth-didnt work.
Restarted my phone.....bingo working like a charm.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 05:53:01 pm »
It's a good habit to get into to restart your mobile every few days.Some apps need this after an update to work properly.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 05:54:22 pm »

the reader connects to the phone no problem and it primes the payment on the little screen. they press their card against it and it beeps but I get the transaction failed notice. I tested my brother and the sis's cards earlier on while connecting to mobile data as you would while you're out in the car and they worked grand. for some reason it's stopped working out in the field.

I'm aware of possible agro if you hold your phone close to the reader while someone else is tapping their card. the reader thinks you're also trying to tap a payment off your phone at the same time and will get confused. I realised I was doing that a few years ago but I never take my blower out of the windscreen cradle anymore and it's definitely not what's causing the issue.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 05:59:57 pm »

That's a feature of the App, You can switch from card to cash (makes sense if the card is declined)
But you cannot switch from cash to card (I guess the developers decided there wouldn't be a need to do that?)

jaysus christ almighty.

john m

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 06:01:28 pm »
Doc have you updated the Sum Up app delete your old one and download it again .

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 06:03:11 pm »
transaction failed.

Does it work on that German corrupt system .If not then you might of reached your limit ,to prevent money laundering you might need to update your profile on it .

I often get little messages to verify my account but it's never stopped working before.

Show Unread Posts