Author Topic: 'Actively looking for work' & the PUP €350 is wrong says FLAC  (Read 13591 times)

Offline Jonno

Re: 'Actively looking for work' & the PUP €350 is wrong says FLAC
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 10:33:35 pm »
Look at the flack poor oul Caroline Flack took and that result.
Roberta Flack: The first time ever i saw your face. Absolutely beautiful song, and what a pure voice she has.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 10:48:43 pm »
I love Where is the Love. Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway.
It does be on rotation in my car.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 06:06:59 am »
You can be looking for work for twenty years.They don't just take on ex taxi drivers instantly.Easy to fuk up an interview if you feel like it.

I'm sure there's loads of jobs out there for over 60's who've driven a cab for the last 20 or 30 years and have zero qualifications and struggle to use their own smart phone.
Personally I hope none of you ever come back, however if they are trying to get people off the payment and they realise the self employed are too lazy to reactivate their businesses on their own, they may put a fire under their arses.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 06:34:27 am »
Dunno Roy...I'll go back when I really have to.I only work when I'm low on funds.By my calculations I can afford to stay off for the duration of the PUP without having to sacrifice that much.Obviously I'll get bored but it's still very early days.

Be grateful we're all giving yous a chance to earn a crust.I drove through town last night and the taxi ranks were like 2010 again.Taxis illegally ranked outside of Spar shops and over ranking in many places.City was still dead.There won't be many gold medals when we're all back plodding away.

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 07:47:31 am »
Dunno Roy...I'll go back when I really have to.I only work when I'm low on funds.By my calculations I can afford to stay off for the duration of the PUP without having to sacrifice that much.Obviously I'll get bored but it's still very early days.

Be grateful we're all giving yous a chance to earn a crust.I drove through town last night and the taxi ranks were like 2010 again.Taxis illegally ranked outside of Spar shops and over ranking in many places.City was still dead.There won't be many gold medals when we're all back plodding away.

+1

I get more than €350 ....I save €50 on fuel and €50 on insurance and another €50 on car washes, hovers maintenance , wear and tear etc .....
I'm lookin at €500 a week in me pocket and I'm not giving any skulls the flu an they not giving it to me so I'm saving the country €3500 a day in an icu bed an I am not participating in the movement of people which is causing this flu .....airplanes and taxis caused this flu ....every one that brought this poison death plaugue into the country got into a taxi at the airport ..
Why should I go back driving wen I cant compete with the ambassadors or the ridiculous oversupply of taxis ? The government allowed freenow to bring about that situation to arise
Claim all you can and pursue your hobbies and paint your gaff if you like .......prepare for the mass unemployment and the collapse of the economy ....whilst alot of people are going back to work ...most of those employed are being paid by the Government and many of those jobs will collapse wen asked to stand on ther own feet because ther is no use for them anymore the world has changed permanently and business has changed dramatically, and habits have changed dramatically ....I'm predicting half the bars and restaurants at the very least will cease trading permantlently ...I dont think half yous realise what's coming ...go wack to work to what? Sitting in your car scratching yur bollix for hours on end ? Watching you app cancel the job you just got after 4 hours waiting  and then  seen a lick arse get it instead of ya ?  An the app telling ya ...sorry you didnt press the trigger in time another driver was given that job cause yu wont put stickers on yur car .......let the cnuts at it and look after your mental health .....its going to get tough for a good few years ....I dont think this job will ever recover from this ....half of us have to decide are we retiring or gettin out ...theres simply too many taxis again .....not one fuking lesson learned from the gfc
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:56:40 am by Octavia1 »
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 08:19:15 am »

I'm not sure why that's addressed to me, none of what follows responds to any point I made in the previous post.
1- I suggested the Government might force you to go back to work which has no bearing on your own choice in the matter.
2- I stated I don't want you to return you work, therefore there is no need to require my gratitude as it was already forthcoming.

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 08:20:45 am »
Watching the news and it looks like they have a vaccine but are afraid to announce it too soon out of fear that more complacency might set in.Many of the trials are at late stages.The brits are buying all the variants already to cover themselves.

So my thinking is we will come back strong but not until everyone is vaccinated.Possibly mid 2021.In the mean time like Octy says enjoy the time off and don't strangle yer wives/husbands.

Drivers working their asses off to retire and do nothing and that's seen as a success, even though the body isn't what it used to be.But if you can afford to do that in your 40s or 50s when your relatively healthy yer somehow a loser or lazy. Doesn't really make much sense.

I wonder if back in the days when you had to hunt for yer dinner was there some lads killing more than they needed just out of boredom.Caveman Roy probably had a pile of dead monkeys in his cave that he'd never be able to eat in a lifetime.But at least he wasn't lazy..

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:37 am »
Watching the news and it looks like they have a vaccine but are afraid to announce it too soon out of fear that more complacency might set in.Many of the trials are at late stages.The brits are buying all the variants already to cover themselves.

So my thinking is we will come back strong but not until everyone is vaccinated.Possibly mid 2021.In the mean time like Octy says enjoy the time off and don't strangle yer wives/husbands.

Drivers working their asses off to retire and do nothing and that's seen as a success, even though the body isn't what it used to be.But if you can afford to do that in your 40s or 50s when your relatively healthy yer somehow a loser or lazy. Doesn't really make much sense.

I wonder if back in the days when you had to hunt for yer dinner was there some lads killing more than they needed just out of boredom.Caveman Roy probably had a pile of dead monkeys in his cave that he'd never be able to eat in a lifetime.But at least he wasn't lazy..

Just booked a two week luxury holiday in Mexico next June, a weekend in the Westin Dublin in December and a golf trip to Spain in November, what are you up to?

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 08:24:13 am »
The reason the posts are addressed to you Roy is you've chosen to troll others on here with your batshit crazy opinions on the world.Nobody else except Ken does it.It's not your site anymore so we can put the boot in if the urge comes.Good morning.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 08:28:43 am »
The reason the posts are addressed to you Roy is you've chosen to troll others on here with your batshit crazy opinions on the world.Nobody else except Ken does it.It's not your site anymore so we can put the boot in if the urge comes.Good morning.

batshit crazy? p
Please elaborate

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 08:35:35 am »
Just the usual nonsense about driving newer cars to improve the fleet while we're struggling to earn a decent living without doing 60hours a week.The two positions aren't compatible.

You somehow seem to think because we own a taxi we should be working it.The two are not related at all.

The discounts only work if yer the only one doing it.otherwise it results in more hours for less pay.I'll think of others but you get the idea.Daft stuff.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 08:42:58 am »
"Just booked a two week luxury holiday in Mexico next June, a weekend in the Westin Dublin in December and a golf trip to Spain in November, what are you up to?"

Nice one.I was supposed to be away to Spain in March but that got cancelled.Mexico is an inexpensive place so everything is luxury anyway.June is gonna be too hot IMO.Been there it's lovely.Any holliers this year are gonna be booked last minute.I live about 35/40 minutes walk from the Westin so it would probably be too close to home to be considered value for money.I'll be going wherever the other half wants.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 09:20:08 am »
Just the usual nonsense about driving newer cars to improve the fleet while we're struggling to earn a decent living without doing 60hours a week.The two positions aren't compatible
I remember well when the fleet was populated by bangers and the public perception was one of smelly death traps, looking to revert to that standard is pure stupidity, if anything we should improve the standards.

You somehow seem to think because we own a taxi we should be working it.The two are not related at all.
Personally I'd be happy if you never worked it although i know some who despise "part timers", however claiming what is now an unemployment benefit whilst having a Taxi seems odd to me.

The discounts only work if yer the only one doing it.otherwise it results in more hours for less pay.I'll think of others but you get the idea.Daft stuff.

Personally I picked out high value fares and offered a discount in order to compete with dispatchers, works for me, I also encourage other drivers to try something similar, I admire child friendly taxis, disco Taxis , pet friendly Taxis, Taxi tours and all other innovative ideas some drivers have to maintain and grow their businesses, I think those of you dependent on dispatchers need to wake up and that the the street is finished as an option

Not batshit crazy as you put it, more a different opinion, as far as I'm aware we still live in a free society?

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 09:32:30 am »
Don't take it personal.I don't.New forum, new rules I suppose.I don't use quotes because it's messy looking and difficult to read.If I use yer (fake name) it's just to show who I am replying to.

The removing the bangers never made things better it was the geography test and then the 250 renewal.No PSV licence no access to a SPSV licence.No drivers.

Free country to think what you want but it will be challenged.If ya can't defend a position well on something then it isn't worth taking IMO.

Offline watty

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 09:46:52 am »
Roy's not batshit crazy, except maybe going to Mexico  :o

Taxi are pretty much the most expensive travel option available to people.  They can walk, cycle, bus, car before they choose us.  If they have a negative perception of us, they'll only use us if they really, really have to.  Too often, taxi drivers see the €10-20 note in front of them and fuk the rest of it.  Instead, if we had slightly better cars and slightly better attitudes, people might start using taxis more often.  Bus 10 mins late, a drop of rain, feeling tired etc etc - they might jump in a taxi if it was going to be a nice experience. 

Esp women, who have the spare cash.  If they knew they could pay €10-20 and get home quickly and in peace without someone staring at their breasts, they'd jump at it.  Ultimately that would benefit all of us with more money in our pockets & less hours worked.

It's probably instructive that Roy (AIUI) had a customer-facing business job before he jumped in a taxi and knows something about customer service and growing a business.

Show Unread Posts