Author Topic: Gordon Elliott banned for one year with six months of the sentence suspended  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Punter

He was rep"d at the hearing by O Leary's briefs (fair play for his loyalty in my mind ) I think 10 witnesses reported ,hearing took less than 2.5 hours --it looks like a prepacked solution --he said "he will not attend race  or PP meetings "--bit odd for defendant !
I don't think he is warned off  I reckon he will still be there on a day to day basis, hence O Leary and Co will stay --imagine there will be heavy security around the place for next 6 mths--no one in ,with staff surrendering phones on entry --new trainer will take all the kudos and will be PR briefed on a regular basis !
It will be interesting who the rest of the witnesses were--there was a Doc ,the new Trainer ,I assume some of the people who inspected the yard over the years ,a Vet ,maybe O Leary--still leaves a few -- little doubt the result was a prepared solution put together which gave the powers that be a simple efficient exit to the shit !
Social Media has screwed his life time of work but he may well recover as he appears to have plenty of support --the silly woman who released the pic will find it a lot more difficult --personally I feel sorry for all concerned !

john m

Davy Russell and Kennedy didnt show any loyalty .Kennedy only concerned he kept the ride on Envoy Allen .I would think Gordon will have a Day of the Long Knives after he returns .He wont rock the bote while he is away but dont think the two boys will be getting the leg up in future .

Offline markmiwurdz

Another theory emerges on the photo leak.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was the sickening photo that ruined the career of a Grand National winning trainer leaked over a feud with a gangster?

The mystery surrounding a sickening photograph of three-time Grand National-winning trainer Gordon Elliott sat astride a dead horse deepened last night amid claims that a drug cartel leaked the image in a bid to ruin him.

The horse-racing star’s fall from grace took a dramatic turn on Friday night when a judge noted a ‘sinister aspect’ to the case as he handed the trainer a year’s ban from the sport, suspended for the final six months.

‘The Committee are satisfied that the publication of this photograph is part of a concerted attack upon Mr Elliott, the full circumstances of which are unknown,’ said Mr Justice Raymond Groarke, of the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board (IHRB).

The mystery surrounding a sickening photograph of three-time Grand National-winning trainer Gordon Elliott sat astride a dead horse deepened last night amid claims that a drug cartel leaked the image in a bid to ruin him

Today, The Mail on Sunday can reveal mounting suspicion that the ‘concerted attack’ was orchestrated by a criminal gang seeking to ruin Elliott over a long-running feud.

Sources allege the cartel released the image of Elliott sat on the body of seven-year-old gelding Morgan while chatting on his mobile phone in revenge for his refusal to work with John Boylan, a notorious criminal.

Boylan has 67 convictions and has been described by Ireland’s Criminal Assets Bureau as ‘a leading and directing member of an organised crime group based in the West Dublin area specifically involved in armed robbery and the sale and supply of controlled drugs’.

He was also the owner of Labaik, a racehorse stabled at Elliott’s yard in County Meath after being bought for £25,000. Boylan had a 90 per cent share in the animal and Elliott five per cent.

In its first three races, the horse refused to start but it then dramatically won the 2017 Supreme Novices Hurdle race at Cheltenham with Boylan photographed celebrating the victory and €147,447 (£127,000) winner’s cheque in the parade ring.

Coverage of Labaik’s unexpected win and Boylan’s celebrations drew the attention of the police who suspected the racehorse had been bought with money made from crime. Shortly afterwards, detectives swooped to seize Boylan’s financial documents, computers, a £30,000 Mercedes Benz E Class and a small quantity of drugs. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/textbased/news/text-9334497/Was-sickening-photo-Grand-National-winning-trainer-leaked-feud-gangster.html

john m

I posted on here that there seemed to be a huge amount of very expensive National Hunt horses in training .I saw one 400K running in a bumper and a Maiden Hurdle at Nass with 5 horses that cost over quarter of a Million .Were gangs laundering money through horses .You put a horse in  an auction then somebody buy it  for 400K you pay 5% auction fee now the 400k you got for selling the horse is clean money .

Probably explains why Joseph O Brien refused to take any of Elliotts Horses .Im sure Elliott knows who actually took the photo .

Offline Shallowhal

Just like the taxi game John,horse racing has been given a fairly free ride(pun intended) up till now,Gilligan should have put his equestrian centre in somebody else name...but he put that target on his own back.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
If the authorities have learned one lesson from this debacle, it has to be what happens with broadening the gene pool. Hopefully, they'll think twice before licensing more outsiders.

If memory serves, Noel Furlong was refused a training licence and had to hire some blue blood to cross the eyes and make the teas... why was that?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
The Mirror went with the (woman) scorned theory, MMW... interestingly with a link to an unrelated feature on Kate Harrington. Surely an OCG would just put a bullet in the cunt?

Offline Punter

Amazing how nothing made of the number of nags left in sales establishments when led out unsold--it was a regular event a few years ago after the 3rd day of the sales event when the dross was offered --if they didn't warrant an offer --sales number whipped off and left abandoned in boxes--this from the "we love our horses "brigade !  Remember a few were found in a ramshackle barn and identified by their microchip still in ownership of the breeder  !
Too expensive to feed and the knackers stopped paying for them so dumped !

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
What do you want them to do... put pictures on anti-social media? There are organisations that do what they can with the surplus... my sister has fostered the odd one or two over the years, those that are "rescued" generally end up in riding schools or such like.

Offline Punter

Reckon criminals have enough on their plate staying alive , without  chasing guys about training their nags !

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Dunno about that, Punter. Did you ever see the Panorama programmes (I think there was two) investigating horse racing. If memory serves, it was the first time sports promoter Daniel Kinahan attracted the attention of mainstream media on the mainland. He was picked up at a London airport by a race fixer, checked into a hotel and driven to Kieran Fallon's then Newmarket home where it's thought Fallon was to be executed. However, the British police had covert surveillance on them and, believing Fallon's life to be in immediate danger, the officers decided to blow their cover which resulted in the alleged hit being abandoned.

I'd say very little happens in racing without the Kinahan's approval.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/syndicate-sought-to-confront-fallon-1.971118

Syndicate 'sought to confront Fallon'

Wed, Oct 10, 2007, 01:00
Bernard Purcell

BRITAIN:A former Dublin furniture shop owner, Daniel Kinahan, travelled from Spain to Newmarket to confront jockey Kieren Fallon in his own home "in the very early hours" days after his "bet to lose" syndicate lost £160,256 (€231,300) because he won his race.

It was one of several races the syndicate expected Fallon to throw but which he went on to win, the Old Bailey heard.

The horse, Russian Rhythm, was from the stables of Queen Elizabeth's favourite trainer Sir Michael Stoute, and ran in the 2.40pm Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes at Newbury on May 15th, 2004.

The jury heard one of the alleged organisers of the so-called "bet to lose" conspiracy, Yorkshire businessmen Miles Rodgers, refer to the Spain-based Irish businessman Daniel Kinahan in intercepted phone calls as a formidable character called "D".

Mr Rodgers was heard on the intercept telling a person, whose account he has been using to lay bets to lose on online bookmakers Betfair, that while he had met many "menacing" people in the course of his business, they paled beside "D".

He said he was "only a little fella, but you know when you've been spoken to".

It was this person who was losing patience with Kieren Fallon winning races which the syndicate had been led to believe he would lose, Mr Rodgers said.

Prosecutor Jonathan Caplan QC told the jury of seven women and five men that the fact that Mr Fallon won races his co-conspirators expected him to lose merely showed he was being cautious as he clearly suspected he was under investigation.

Even in those races which he appeared to lose legitimately, evidence of contacts between Mr Fallon and his co-accused suggested that he had been prepared to stop a horse winning had it been necessary, said Mr Caplan.

Spanish-based Mr Kinahan, who is not named in the indictment, was described as a former Dublin furniture shop owner and one-time employer of Philip Sherkle - the man chosen as a go-between with Mr Fallon, replacing co-accused Shaun Lynch - after Mr Fallon was deemed to have won one race too many, and cost them too much.

The jury also heard Mr Rodgers discuss Mr Fallon's alleged losses to the syndicate with Mr Sherkle: "your friend asked how much he is in debt to the other guy [in Spain]. It is about four and a half ".

Mr Fallon's wins when he was expected to lose - and the perceived trouble in which he consequently found himself with the Spanish end of the conspiracy - prompted Mr Rodgers to say: "I just think he's thick, you know."

The jury heard Mr Rodgers say of Mr Fallon, in further intercepted conversation, that while the jockey should know more about horse racing than they would ever know, that "he's not dealing with a full stack".

The court heard how on May 26th, 2004, Daniel Kinahan arrived by air at Leeds/Bradford airport to be met by Mr Sherkle where they went to Harrogate and on to the Bedford Lodge hotel in Newmarket where they checked in under false names.

At 1am Mr Kinahan, Mr Sherkle, Miles Rodgers and Shaun Lynch drove out to confront Kieren Fallon at his family home, only to turn back when they noticed they were under surveillance. They checked out of the hotel at 2am.

Mr Caplan told the jury this behaviour was "mysterious and suspicious".

The court also heard how an easyJet return flight to Spain for August 4th, 2004, was purchased by jockey Fergal Lynch using his Visa Delta card.

Mr Fallon was a "no show" for the flight - Mr Rodgers, Lynch and two others did fly out - although a ticket confirmation for his flight was subsequently found by police in the glove compartment of Mr Fallon's car.

The jury was also given details of a series of texts between Kieren Fallon and Philip Sherkle on two specially-purchased "pay as you go" mobile phones recovered from both men during the investigation.

The texts came after the syndicate lost £105,078 betting on Fallon to lose on Daring Aim at Newmarket on July 23rd, 2004. The horse, trained by Sir Michael Stoute, was owned by Queen Elizabeth.

Mr Sherkle texted Fallon: "If u don't speak to me now I won't be able to help you". Fallon replied: "They will take my licences off me if they drift like that last night. They are watching me."

Offline Punter

Yes, saw both but I think things have changed a bit --gangsters may have made millions in meantime but they got to the stage where greed got to them --each wanting more so they knocked each other off while law watched on ,so now they have to mind themselves 110% of time --to maintain status quo!
I remember going to a point to point in Punchstown long time ago and a mate who was a small time Joe met a LEADING amateur at the time --said he needed a deuce--told my mate to lay his mount to get him it --he jumped off at the second !
Fallon no different--an amazing talent rode every one on Tabors strokes before he joined Magnier and Co--but the hookey dollar always attractive--the all weather stop proved that !
Mate of mine ran a mobile repair company in Romania 10 years ago --100 staff --said the talent in IT those guys had but if there was a bent dollar to be had they would ditch the job to do it--its just a human flaw--the easy buck !

john m

I knew a man had a horse ran in a point to point trainer said it was a certainty .Monster bet on it and it ran like a dirty drain .Fella learned that the trainer asked a bookie to lay it and split if he sent the punter to him .Two days later the trainers House and barn were burned to the ground .Think it might of been a COINCIDENCE .

Show Unread Posts