Author Topic: card acceptance  (Read 6945 times)

Offline watty

Re: card acceptance
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2022, 02:35:54 pm »
I wonder if "without reasonable excuse" is a recent addition to the law or has it always been there?  Bit like the soiling charge was €140, then it got changed to "up to €140."

Offline Belker

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2022, 11:41:09 pm »
Have to say, I never came across the "without reasonable excuse" bit attached to the legal obligation to pay. I've probably answered my own question without realising i.e. a driver not being able to take the payment through means he is legally obliged to provide presumably gives rise to a reasonable excuse not to pay... but I think I'll try to get NTA, the Dept or the AGs office to tell me that in their words.
I reckon you have had all the answers that the NTA will give.
I had it out with them last year when due to covid I could not get an NCT which I needed to pass upcoming suitability and they were most unhelpful, offering me no leeway at all.

Offline John m

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2022, 12:57:21 pm »
If you get a Job from Dublin to Belfast and you arrive in Belfast and offer your Sum Up to the Passenger to Pay and it is denominated in Euro can he refuse to Pay if you do not Charge in Pounds ?Can we legally accept Sterling payments .?anybody know ?Can you change the Currency on Sum Up ?and how ?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 01:00:14 pm by John m »
"War: a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

Offline Belker

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2022, 11:35:33 am »
If you get a Job from Dublin to Belfast and you arrive in Belfast and offer your Sum Up to the Passenger to Pay and it is denominated in Euro can he refuse to Pay if you do not Charge in Pounds ? .....
The meter reads in Euros so most unlikely a problem.
Regardless of it being a set fare, the meter must be run anyway.

Offline Belker

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2022, 11:40:09 am »
..... Can we legally accept Sterling payments .?anybody know ?Can you change the Currency on Sum Up ?and how ?
As I have my Sumup reader at home charging, I tried that fer you John M and with me being not the very best at I.T. things, I could find no way to change currency using just phone and reader, maybe there is an online way ??

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2022, 01:10:21 pm »
I don't think UK law would entitle you to get paid at all. Someone could easily go over the border and tell ya to piss off.Currency exchange will be the least of your problems.

Offline John m

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2022, 02:22:01 pm »
Another Problem .Underground Car Parks .When Customers ask to be dropped off at the underground Car Park which sometimes have entrances to main building .Some underground car parks are Blackspots no wifi connection  Twice this weekend it happened Brewery Road Appartments and the New appartments in Tallaght Village .Had to drive out with the passenger on Board to take payment by card .
"War: a massacre of people who don't know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don't massacre each other."

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2022, 03:31:30 pm »
If you get a Job from Dublin to Belfast and you arrive in Belfast and offer your Sum Up to the Passenger to Pay and it is denominated in Euro can he refuse to Pay if you do not Charge in Pounds ? .....
The meter reads in Euros so most unlikely a problem.
Regardless of it being a set fare, the meter must be run anyway.
Revolut takes both currencies.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2022, 10:00:28 am »
Got a much better response to my response to their response, as below. To me it completely negates any obligation to accept card payments... something to show the Judge in the event of a prosecution anyway:

Dear Mr O'Connell

Thank you for contacting the NTA (National Transport Authority). We refer to your recent correspondence received on 17th August 2022.

Current legislation states that a passenger in a small public service vehicle shall comply with “any reasonable request made to him or her by the driver of the vehicle”, which would include seeking an alternative means of payment and the legislation also places an obligation on any passenger to “pay any fare lawfully required of him or her by the driver of the vehicle.”

It is an offence for a person not to pay the lawful fare in a small public service vehicle. If an amicable solution has not been reached between a driver and a passenger and the fare is not paid, Gardai can be contacted.

If you have any further questions please contact our Information Line on 0818 064 000.

Yours Sincerely

National Transport Authority

Offline John m

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2022, 10:20:20 am »
So passenger asks .Do you accept card .You reply Yes but not today .Then you are compliant you inform them you prefer Legal Tender .AN outstanding Young Member of the Oireachtas young X half Minister Troy .Was asked about asking for rent to be paid for one of his domiciles to rent in Cash .He replied he asked for Legal Tender what was the Problem .And he was correct he is entitled to be paid in folding and Coin if he wants it .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2022, 10:40:00 am »
My thoughts exactly. Even with my somewhat limited knowledge of law I believe the SI is unconstitutional and I'll happily make that argument in any court of the land should the opportunity arise. It's perhaps interesting that the guidelines stress light touch enforcement. Perhaps they know they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they prosecuted anyone of a similar mindset to me.

I was up in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland last weekend. It was a delight to observe the "Cash Only" stickers on their taxis.

Offline John m

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2022, 11:26:01 am »
Can we ask for ID with the Card you can tap for 50 notes now .So if Bronko Whelan from the Flats found a card at the Bus Stop beside the Post Office when he was collecting his dole and used that card to get a taxi back to work and the owner stopped payment of the 23.40 fare from the Post Office to the Job Site where would we stand legally .are we covered if we do not ask for ID ?

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2022, 04:18:49 pm »
Can we ask for ID with the Card you can tap for 50 notes now .So if Bronko Whelan from the Flats found a card at the Bus Stop beside the Post Office when he was collecting his dole and used that card to get a taxi back to work and the owner stopped payment of the 23.40 fare from the Post Office to the Job Site where would we stand legally .are we covered if we do not ask for ID ?
I had bank cards stolen, and tapped for multiple purchases, this year. I was refunded, and the retail premises who accepted the less than €50 taps were paid.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline Belker

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2022, 03:28:44 pm »
......... .AN outstanding Young Member of the Oireachtas young X half Minister Troy .Was asked about asking for rent to be paid for one of his domiciles to rent in Cash .He replied he asked for Legal Tender what was the Problem .And he was correct he is entitled to be paid in folding and Coin if he wants it .
That is NOT a true reflection of the case. It was actually the tenant who asked to pay in cash, and the tenant has made a sworn deposistion to that, which Mr Troy has furnished.

Offline John m

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2022, 04:19:25 pm »
......... .AN outstanding Young Member of the Oireachtas young X half Minister Troy .Was asked about asking for rent to be paid for one of his domiciles to rent in Cash .He replied he asked for Legal Tender what was the Problem .And he was correct he is entitled to be paid in folding and Coin if he wants it .
That is NOT a true reflection of the case. It was actually the tenant who asked to pay in cash, and the tenant has made a sworn deposistion to that, which Mr Troy has furnished.

AH Ken do you still play with Leggo .Tell me this .Who ratted him out in the first place  .Who told he was a landlord .Was he trying to hike up rents and did a Jurno find out about Cash transactions .Why were some of his gaffs not registered with the tennency board .Deposition me Bollox .

Show Unread Posts