Author Topic: Touting from Zone 18  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Belker

Re: Touting from Zone 18
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2024, 10:22:07 am »
.......  I drove straight onto the rank during my first week renting a taxi having never heard of the kesh! Funny thing is, after the initial uproar an older, wiser gentleman rationally explained what I'd done wrong and rationally explained that I didn't know to the riff raff .........
My first ever fare was quite similar, drove on to the main Cork airport rank not knowing about the full holding rank up above in 'Pebble beach' !  Some African lad started shouting at me in Fookin African which I ignored his; "initial uproar an older, wiser gentleman rationally explained what I'd done wrong".

PS. Post it DMG !   lol

Offline Belker

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2024, 10:32:08 am »
I don't use Zone 18 but I'm reliably informed certain drivers arrive in the zone without a booking and simply tout any potential passenger - pre-booked or not - to steal work. They are picking and choosing what work they'll do as the NTA has washed their hands of the zone saying it's a DAA matter.

So I'd say fill your boots and park at the first opening of the tunnel approaching the zone and tout among the sub-continental Asians.
You don't even have to show you have a pre-book when entering the zone because DAA knows they'll get paid the €1.50 parking fee every time.
My Tuppence-worth !

As a non-Doob Taxi driver I seldom see Dooblin airport, but I had a family pick-up there at about 5am on the last August bank holiday Monday morning where I parked up in zone 18, during the 15 minutes that I was in there giving the cab a birra of a clean 2 separate people approached me asking if I was available.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2024, 10:34:04 am »
The airport is a mess, ya can do whatever you want out there.I've picked up up app customers who were lost at the T1 rank in front of a line of waiting taxis...none of the drivers gave a bollox.

Too many people all over the place for anyone to notice.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2024, 12:44:31 pm »
Your right Rat the Aer Rianta permit was free back in the day, you just paid 50p to go through the Kesh which I only done on a Sunday evening when it was busy. Blue Cabs had all the ssp work at the time bringing staff in and out so that bet waiting for hours in the Kesh. That's the reason why I let my permit expire over 20 hours ago, might be handy to have one now though.

Sent from my CPH2449 using Tapatalk

I let mine expire too 'cos I was on the radio and had no use for it back then!

The 50p is interesting in itself. When they increased it to 50p from 40p the pick up charge was increased to IR£1.30. However, our meters were programmed to add extras in 40p increments so there was a lengthy argument during the period of which DAA never actually took the 50p. It might have been the great strike of 1999 that prompted them to implement the increase or it could have been an earlier strike? Of course, after entry liberalisation we lost the pick up charge altogether and we lost our pre-booked free parking area which was where the disabled parking is in the T1 short term car park. Ah those were the days!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 12:47:46 pm by Rat Catcher »

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2024, 01:25:19 pm »
Not much chance of DAA giving permits now, WN... Not while there's gobshites willing to pay up to 15% commission plus parking fees to shift the punters for them.

... Amazing when you consider the rows we had about the irrecoverable 10p increase all those years ago!

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2024, 02:40:13 pm »
Not much chance of DAA giving permits now, WN... Not while there's gobshites willing to pay up to 15% commission plus parking fees to shift the punters for them.

... Amazing when you consider the rows we had about the irrecoverable 10p increase all those years ago!
Were you one of the very few not picking the scratcher, which covered the cosy freight?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2024, 03:07:47 pm »
Memory fails me on that one but neither DAA nor ITDF were interested in social welfare or even tax clearance in those days. In fact, tax clearance only became an issue in 2004 after some crowd or other told the tax man they were robbing him blind. The mind boggles!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2024, 03:13:00 pm »
I remember an acquaintance going to join a union back in the 90s. NTDU told him he'd have to surrender his hackney plate and agree to terminate all social intercourse with known hackneymen or some such so he rang ITDF and asked what the T&Cs of membership are. John told him IR£60 and as he further questioned if he would have to surrender his hackney plate, etc... John interrupted his soliloquy putting significantly greater emphasis on the monosyllabic "sixty pounds" response!

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2024, 03:13:33 pm »
Memory fails me on that one but neither DAA nor ITDF were interested in social welfare or even tax clearance in those days. In fact, tax clearance only became an issue in 2004 after some crowd or other told the tax man they were robbing him blind. The mind boggles!
That was one of the three Stooges, the Drumcondra one. he thought Froggy was a MVLO. froggy was audited and got a tax rebate, a copy of which he sent to Gorman. rofl

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2024, 03:15:43 pm »
I remember an acquaintance going to join a union back in the 90s. NTDU told him he'd have to surrender his hackney plate and agree to terminate all social intercourse with known hackneymen or some such so he rang ITDF and asked what the T&Cs of membership are. John told him IR£60 and as he further questioned if he would have to surrender his hackney plate, etc... John interrupted his soliloquy putting significantly greater emphasis on the monosyllabic "sixty pounds" response!
Everything the sausage man touched turned to gick. He'd support Leo with that track record. 8)

Offline vandriver

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2024, 04:07:15 pm »
Working the Kesh is indeed a tricky one.To port tunnel it back quickly or wait around town for a Northside run.I don't think I've perfected it yet.
Dumb luck gave me a Skerries (then a local cash job in Skerries!)from 3arena this morning when I was heading back to the Kesh.
This afternoon I got T1 to Lucan then an Uber from Grange Castle back.Like I said pure luck can make 100 difference in a shift as a keshie

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2024, 04:13:56 pm »
The less thought you put into it the better!

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2024, 04:27:30 pm »
Working the Kesh is indeed a tricky one.To port tunnel it back quickly or wait around town for a Northside run.I don't think I've perfected it yet.
Dumb luck gave me a Skerries (then a local cash job in Skerries!)from 3arena this morning when I was heading back to the Kesh.
This afternoon I got T1 to Lucan then an Uber from Grange Castle back.Like I said pure luck can make 100 difference in a shift as a keshie
I dropped a taxi guy off to Santry recently who is driving a 161 Caddy. he got back from holliers refreshed, only to find that there were metal shavings discovered in his oil sump.

He was hoping it would see him through to 2026, but now he is not so sure. Keep an eye on your lubricant.

Offline vandriver

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2024, 09:02:41 am »
Would that be the ultra reliable Caddy I've put 6 grand into since Christmas?

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2024, 02:09:57 pm »
Nasty. I hope my MKIII Octy hasn't got that engine.... assuming it's the engine causing the cost? So far I've 241,605 kilos on the clock and I've spent €1,749 on maintenance. It had 108,947 kilos on the clock when I bought in in January 2019 so maintenance is working out at c1.3c per kilo or c.€26.10 per month... although it wasn't used much during COVID '19 anall so the monthly computation is somewhat skewed.

Show Unread Posts