Author Topic: Avensis drinking a lot of water.  (Read 21037 times)

Offline Belker

Avensis drinking a lot of water.
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:09:34 am »
My 08 Avensis is drinking an awful lot of water these days,
about a liter every 4 hours, I know this is a very bad sign
especially as none of the water is being leaked on to the ground.
My mechanic can't see it till next Tuesday, anyone any ideas ?
Is it safe to drive ?
Or am I doing it more damage by driving it ?

Offline Tony

Re: Avensis drinking a lot of water.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:48:43 am »
Head gasket maybe?
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Mooretaxi

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:12:49 am »
Had a similar problem years ago with an avensis, top rad hose had a pin hole leak , Hard to see as the water spray was very fine and most likely was evaporating from the heat in the engine bay

Offline the driver

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:34:56 am »
Had a similar problem years ago with an avensis, top rad hose had a pin hole leak , Hard to see as the water spray was very fine and most likely was evaporating from the heat in the engine bay

I had the same problem.Must be cheap top hoses.

Belker have you dipped the oil to see if there is any sign of water in it?If the bottom of the dipstick is white your head gasket is gone.The water pump seals go on them as well.You would not see any water under the car when this happens unless you look under the car with the engine running.

Offline Belker

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:47:08 am »
Thanks fer replies lads, I'll try that dipstick test tomorrow.
I reckon it is head gasket and prob needs a new engine fer abo 2K !

Offline the driver

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:27:43 am »
Thanks fer replies lads, I'll try that dipstick test tomorrow.
I reckon it is head gasket and prob needs a new engine fer

If there is no sign of water on the dipstick drive the car until it reaches normal temp and then get out and look under the car with the engine running to see if there is any drips.If there is, it is probably the water pump.

Sadly there is a known fault with Avensis diesels where the head cracks.If this is the case with your car, do not spend 2,000 on a secondhand engine because you could possibly inherit the same fault with that engine.
Better to fill it up with coolant and bring it to your local Jap import dealer and trade it for a prius.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:23:03 am »
If the engine is gone again I'd scrap it.It's gonna need two NCTs a year soon..I was in a new Prius last night and compared to my old one it was like a proper luxury motor with fancy Led screens etc on the inside.Nice and quiet too.The money you save on juice Belker would pay for a new car.Hopefully it's just a rad leak though.

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:14:35 am »
If the engine is gone again I'd scrap it.It's gonna need two NCTs a year soon..I was in a new Prius last night and compared to my old one it was like a proper luxury motor with fancy Led screens etc on the inside.Nice and quiet too.The money you save on juice Belker would pay for a new car.Hopefully it's just a rad leak though.

The new prius has to be the most ugliest yoke on the road apart from yourself mfh... I'd rather tout for work in a white sheet and pillow case in D15 than be seen anywhere next or near the gayest heap out there...

Mr. T-bag to you

john m

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 11:28:57 am »
Two bottles of radweld trow then into the rad and fill it up with water if that dosent work it sounds like head gasket  check for oily filiment in the rad water a sign that the head is leaking .

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 11:30:11 am »
^^^^^^^It's just another boring taxi with stickers on the door once ya plate it up Tony.Any of the cars worth getting excited about are expensive to maintain and run.I hate the look of the car I drive now but it costs me nothing and doesn't break so I'll keep it around.It's starting to grow on me after 5 years.

john m

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 11:33:57 am »
Have they tinkered with new Diesels drove a Hyundi Diesel last week brand new belongs to a neighbour sounds a lot noisier than my 9 year old wheel barrow

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 11:50:26 am »
Prestone have a head gasket repair (using repair lightly)on the market Ken...i know a guy who used it and his motor is still going,just follow the instructions to the letter on the bottle...there are other products aswell,
Open the oil filler cap and check for a milky coloured substance(oil and water),this is usually an indicator that the head gasket is gone.

Offline Tony

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 12:08:29 pm »
Just break two eggs and pour into the radiator Kenny... Old school.... Always worked for me.
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 12:20:36 pm »
Just break two eggs and pour into the radiator Kenny... Old school.... Always worked for me.

...and a couple of rashers on the cylinder head no doubt!!

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 12:31:23 pm »
Just make sure to use free range eggs Ken.Them diesels can be fussy.

Show Unread Posts