Author Topic: Insurance shafting  (Read 19693 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

Insurance shafting
« on: April 09, 2018, 02:04:53 pm »

Offline watty

Re: wolly
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 06:05:02 pm »
The article says he's a publican.  Sure, he can just get a local area taxi licence for a few hundred euro and get cheap(er) taxi insurance with it?

Or, assuming he's married, make the wife the main driver and put him on as a second driver?

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:31:32 pm »
you'd think driving was a privilege instead of a right or something.
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/motorists-shock-at-15000-rise-in-insurance-cover-to-over-19000-836432.html
Ask him for the name of the compo claimants. I'd say they're up for an Oscar this year.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:17 pm »
how do you go in to the back of someone unless you were driving too close to them.
at least half a dozen times over the weekend i was blasted off the road by cunt taxi drivers when slowing down for a hail.

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:05:16 pm »
That was me...ya uckin slimey snail.
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:09:20 pm »
Joking of course.  He! He!
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:12:20 pm »
do ye know the aufla with the beard in the silver mercedes.
his pastime is driving abnormally slow and antagonising other drivers.

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 10:20:22 pm »
I think he us permanently stuck on Bray promenade doing a loop 
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

john m

Insurance shafting
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 01:11:57 pm »
Louise Walsh

April 10 2018 7:55 AM

A motorist was shocked when his annual motor insurance renewal quote rocketed to an incredible €19,000.

Meath publican Brian Kelly (48) rang Liberty Insurance to point out what he thought was an administrative error.

However, the company told him the policy price of €19,368.26 for his 2007 1.6-litre Toyota Avensis was correct.

The increase was more than €15,000 extra on his insurance costs for last year, and over €18,500 more than his 2016 insurance policy of €800.

Mr Kelly, who is a director of the suicide awareness voluntary group Save Our Sons and Daughters (SOSAD) was left scratching his head when Liberty told him that the huge premium was because of two outstanding claims against him.

"I'm in shock. Sure, who could afford to pay €19,000 for car insurance? You'd buy a new car for that," he said.

"I'm with Liberty Insurance 17 years and had nine years of a no-claims bonus intact.

Claims

"I've had two tips since Christmas 2016 on two separate occasions in Navan and Slane.

"I wasn't going at speed when I hit both from behind. I got out of the car and swapped insurance details. There seemed to be very little damage, if any, to the vehicles and the drivers got out and seemed fine. In one of the incidents, there was even a garda driving behind us who stopped for a few minutes but left us to sort everything out.

"When I heard there were two personal injuries claims against me pending, I was both gobsmacked and devastated."

advertisement

Mr Kelly now has a month to seek new insurance cover but does not think that anyone else will insure him because of the incidents.

"I can't afford to pay €19,000, but I need my car," he added.

"I've been a director of SOSAD since 2009 and do a lot of fundraising. What am I going to do now? To be quoted €19,000 is ludicrous in itself. I know after the first incident in 2016, the premium went from €800 to €4,000 and I paid it.

"But this jump is completely out of the ballpark."

Mr Kelly has contacted the Financial Services Ombudsman to make a complaint.

"I hold up my hands to the accidents, but I just can't understand how a quote of over €19,000 can be justified.

"I believe that the claim culture in this country will literally drive us all off the roads and has to be looked at," he added.

Liberty Insurance did not respond to a request for comment.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:29:46 pm »
You (ought to) become oblivious to idiots on the road. I've even had taximen get irate behind me when I've been driving at the maximum permissible speed, even in 50 kilo/hour zones. I caught up with one at a traffic light a while back, beckoned him to roll down his window and told him that his headlights seemed to be faulty. Wha? say he, they keep flashing, says I to which he sheepishly suggested that he'd check them after dropping his fare.

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
Re: Insurance shafting
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 02:00:06 pm »
I think the smallest smack that's claimed will cost big bucks on renewal...I did a u turn at Babilon on Camden Street on Thurs...Car not looking hit the corner and scraped the paint off...Took a cash deal as he probably had no insurance.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:03:20 pm by Cool Boola »
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 02:18:00 pm »
Did you know that someone can claim off yer policy even after you've paid them cash.It doesn't matter if you've paid and got them to sign stuff.Mate works in an insurance legal dept told me this..

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 02:20:03 pm »
I think the Statute of Limitations is 3 years for personal injuries claims.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 02:21:42 pm »
I'm hoping the bloke I bloke I crashed into last week will reasonable and take my cash.If not it's back on the bike for me.

john m

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 02:36:16 pm »
I spoke to the Rodent about this but did not post it as the person is appealing . .Driver is pulled in dropping a fare .A girl on a bike not paying attention suddenly notices he is stopped jams on her bicycle brakes and falls off the bike no contact was made with the taxi .Girl takes a blow to her head ,Driver gets out to see if she is ok and rings an ambulance .It arrives with the Gards .Driver tells what happens and the Gards take note .So what has happened is a girl fell off her bike and a taxidriver rang for an ambulance .A few months later the taxi driver gets a quote for 17K he rings Quinn or whatever they are called now and they say they settled the claim .He said what claim they tell him. He then said you never contacted me .They say .As you failed to inform us that you had been in an accident we are not required to include you in the process .According to them he was in default of the T&C by not informing them of the accident .It seems Liberty prefer to settle and save on legal costs then impose increased premiums on the policy holder to recoup their bronze.

Show Unread Posts