Author Topic: Widow devastated to find out husband's taxi plate 'died with him'  (Read 22308 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/widow-devastated-find-out-husbands-12426318

A grieving widow has been left devastated after finding out her recently-deceased husband’s taxi plate “has died with him”.

Marie Keegan couldn’t believe it when she was refused the retention of her husband's taxi licence shortly after his death.

Marie, from Drogheda, Co Louth was still in shock after her husband Tommy’s sudden death while on holiday in Lanzarote in January when she was told by the Taxi Regulator her husband’s licence died with him.

Because Tommy, 64, had not filled in a little-known S15N form, the valuable plate can not be passed on to his next-of-kin, Marie.

The Regulator claims the form was sent out to Tommy in 2014 but it has now emerged that few taxi drivers are aware that the form even exists.

Marie is desperate to get what is rightly hers and wants the rules changed to allow licences to be passed on.

She said: “It’s not the money, it’s the principle of it. Tommy killed himself working and didn’t earn more than the minimum wage when you considered all the hours he did.

“It’s the sheer unfairness of it all, because he didn’t sign something that was supposedly sent to him in 2014. How many people could remember to fill in a form they got four years ago?"

Much-loved cabbie Tommy died in hospital shortly after suffering a brain haemorrhage while the couple were on holiday in Lanzarote.

To add to her grief Marie, who had been married to Tommy for 43 years, was told that her husband’s taxi plate was gone with him.

Marie and other taxi drivers have described the situation as bureaucracy gone mad as those involved in the trade can’t cope with the amount of paperwork and regulations.

Marie praised the staff at the hospital and resort in the Canary Islands but criticised the Taxi Regulator.

She told the Mirror: “Tommy was a driver, he wasn’t a bookkeeper. He got people home at night safely, he provided a service. He didn’t do emails, he wasn’t on the internet.

“Everything from the Regulator is log on to do this and that. Tommy was old school, he didn’t do computers. How was he supposed to know about a form sent out four years ago?

“For me that plate is part of Tommy’s estate, he worked hard for it and no one has the right to take it away.

“Tommy did everything by the book and always obeyed the law and this is the way we are treated.”

Local politicians Deputy Imelda Munster and Senator Ged Nash have been in contact with Marie and are set to bring the issue to attention of the Transport Minister.

The National Transport Authority stated that the S15N form can only be used by a living licence holder to appoint a nominee to a vehicle licence.

Offline Tony

Re: Widow devastated to find out husband's taxi plate 'died with him'
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:37:35 pm »
Boo hooo..... Them the rules get over it
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline taxi1990

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:06:31 pm »
Local politicians Deputy Imelda Munster and Senator Ged Nash have been in contact with Marie and are set to bring the issue to attention of the Transport Minister

she may as well bring it to the attention of santa clause.

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:19:10 pm »
I'm guessing you all have the 15n form filled out?

Offline Taxi driver42

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:25:13 pm »
Last month I renewed my sgs in green hills
They handed me that form with my new licence

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:27:58 pm »
I don't think I could leave a taxi plate to anyone.It gives them no advantage over Wheely taxis with their 15 year rule.

In fact if someone left me a saloon plate I'd have to assume the didn't like me.Unless of course they left 30k for a new car to go with it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:32:22 pm by mercenary for hire »

Offline Taxi driver42

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 08:36:53 pm »
Fuck the hubby me plates dead rofl

dalymount

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 09:09:39 am »
I dont think anyone in my family would actually WANT a taxi plate in the first place

Offline Belker

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 06:46:21 pm »
Tommy (R.I.P.) was 64, so his wife Marie was probably of similar age.
Was use would a taxi plate be to a 64'ish year old woman.

Her choices would have been to drive the cab herself or else keep it going
with all the relevant tests/insurance/Tax clearance, Etc and rent it out.

dalymount

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:23:13 pm »
Had a very shocking experience about 7 pm this evening.
I picked up a man,and woman in peirse st,by the time we hit tara street the man was dead a massive heart attack .im very shocked at the miment,its very hard to take in

Offline Belker

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »
Had a very shocking experience about 7 pm this evening.
I picked up a man,and woman in peirse st,by the time we hit tara street the man was dead a massive heart attack .im very shocked at the miment,its very hard to take in

That's a bad experience to have DM. I had the unfortunate opportunity to watch a lady die in a car park about a year ago while on a taxi drop-off, I was fair shook fer a few days after it.
Take a day or Two off fer yourself and talk to everyone about it.

dalymount

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 09:11:27 pm »
Yeah I have spoken to a good few,its very to get your head around it

Offline Belker

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 10:09:17 pm »
@ Dalymont.
An excerpt from 'Taxi Diares', I hope it helps.

Chapter 31. Eddie Broughal. (R.I.P.)

I'll tell you a story about this old fella I did a bit of 'Good Samaritan' work on,
Edward Broughal was his name and he was from the Acre in Pouladuff, Cork.

Late one evening around the middle of May 2010, while driving the taxi,
I spotted this old fella half-knelling on the ground across the road from
the Evergreen/Mountain bar by the bus stop at about 11.20pm,
I thought he was bleeding from the head as I passed by, so I U-turned
down the road by John Banks tyres and doubled back to check on him,
sure as, he was after getting a dizzy spell and had fallen and busted his face open,
lots of blood, so I went to his aid and got some tissues from the car and dried
him up, I put him into my car and we headed for Eddies home. I brought him out
to his home in Pouladuff, he was a really nice old fella and we had a bit o banter
in the car on the way home, even after his fall, his wit was quick and dry in a true
Cork fashion, just the way I like it.
I knocked on his front door for his son Billy (about 45'ish) to come out,
but the old man (81) was getting weaker by the minute and found himself almost unable
to get out of the cab, so the Three of us headed back into the south infirmary hospital.
When we got there and got him in, the old fella was begging for water in A & E, but no one
was getting it for him, he was very weak at this stage, so I bought it for him in the vending
machine for 1.50 and before I left, I gave his son my number and asked him to ring or text
and let me know if the old lad was OK.
Billy his son promised he would and also he would sort me for the fare another day,
I told him; "There is no fare, cos he didn't flag me down, I was just doing a good deed",
the son Billy rang me a few days later, he told me the old lad was Not too good at all,
he needed many operations because he had broken a bone in his neck with the fall and
he was just too old for all the operations required.

And he went on to Thank me most sincerely for stopping to help when all others had passed by,
I've had a few phone calls since from his family, seemingly he was a most respectable man who
had ran his own business for many years, with a large extended family.

But sadly he passed away on Saturday morning 10/7/10 as a result of the fall he had on that night.

I went to the removal on the Tuesday night, I didn't see the son Billy at first, but I saw an elderly
lady sitting at the front, whom I found out later was Eddie Broughal's sister, I was in full Taxi uniform
and thought I had better introduce myself to someone, so I approached the elderly lady in the front
row and told her who I was, trying to be helpful and without drawing any attention upon myself,
as soon as I said the words "Taxi-driver", Two fellas in the row behind the old lady and Two ladies
in the front row left their seats to come over and thank me for my deed, Two of the ladies kissed
me on the cheek with tears in their eyes, also his son Billy whom I had met on the night brought all
of his Brothers over to meet me and I joked with the brothers how Eddie had been the cause of
much Banter in the base, "As to whether I got the fare or not", and I added;
"It was only just banter, but in the usual, very bad Cork taste",
and his son Billy replied; "That's just the way, he would have liked it" !!

I dropped in a Mass card also the next day to the church at the funeral mass and I was again met
with a similar greeting by his family, I think they all saw him lying helpless and in need of assistance
on the side of the road and I was the only stranger who stopped and helped.

After all the services, Etc. I got a lovely 'Thank you' card delivered into the base and a Voucher for a
chinese restaurant in town from Eddie Broughal's family which I gave to my mother and she was delighted
with it, she took my sister for Two meals on that voucher and I'm very well pleased with that too.

A few months later, I was contacted by the Gardai and I had to call to the Bishopstown station to fill
out a coroners court report for what happened on the night and I received a personal 'Thank you'
from an Garda Siochana for my deed.

And just in case I hadn't been thanked enough, I got a strange phone call a few months later,
a number on my phone which I did not recognize, but I answered it anyway, the voice said;
"I'm Eddie Broughal's Grandson", everything else I was doing was dropped immediately and I
collected a very handsome and intelligent young lad and brought him to his required destination,
he thanked me along the way for what I did for his grandfather, I was surprised how close
grandchild and grandfather can be, but I appreciatively took all of his thanks.

Many months later I received a Memorial card about Eddie from the Broughal family
and that takes Pride of Place in my Home today.

This story is written and presented here with the full permission and Thanks from the Broughal family.

Offline Belker

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 10:31:08 pm »
Yeah I have spoken to a good few,its very to get your head around it

Keep talking (even to us Heathen's) you be surprised, but we can actually
be quite socialable toward a comrade in strife.

Be warned, you will in the next few weeks have to make a statement to the
coroner, this could be done in Two ways. If it's very straight-forward then you
could make a statement at the Garda station (as I did above) you talk, the Guard
writes it all down and that's the end of it.
Or you might be called to give oral evidence in court, either way it's not a big deal,
you didn't do anything wrong and most likely you will receive a 'Thank you' from
An Garda Siochana or the Judge.

dalymount

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 10:40:02 pm »
Thanks for your concern belker,had a good talk tonight at a meeting I was and shared it all with the group

Show Unread Posts