Author Topic: They were the days!  (Read 11913 times)

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
Re: They were the days!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »

Farewell and good luck.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 09:14:46 pm »

Denis Irwin

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 09:15:12 pm »
Were you not able to go up to the bar on the 2nd floor in the terminal and view “airside” and outside the pub there was a food place on the left and past that another viewing gallery

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 09:18:25 pm »
Were you not able to go up to the bar on the 2nd floor in the terminal and view “airside” and outside the pub there was a food place on the left and past that another viewing gallery
1990 was still terrorists threatening Dublin. Therwbwould have been more carnage as a result of the crush than from a bomb.

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 09:29:11 pm »
That still didn’t answer my post? Were you not able to see “airside” from the bar on the 2nd floor inside the terminal, and also from the viewing gallery beside the food place??

Offline Belker

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 06:02:51 am »
My last stop off fer Italia '90 was Rome, a magical 3 day 'piss-up' which took in the Catacombs, the Coliseum, Sunday morning Mass with JP in St Peters square and a late night drunken game of soccer with a few local Wops in some huge square, we beat the Wops 2-1, 'Toaler' was on our team, the striker fer Drogheda Utd at the time and Big Tommo saved a penalty in the dying minutes, to be fair Big Tommo did take up most of the goal with his bulk.

Italy played us off the park, the score should have been 3 or 4-Nil. But Toto Schillachi scored the only goal of the game, it was a rocket of a shot from Donadoni that Packie could only parry in to the waiting path of Schillachi.

The welcome the Irish fans recieved in every city was unbelievable, even while on the cruise the reception we recieved at every port of call (except Tunis) was magnificent to include Capri, Sorrento, Malta, Etc.

The Brazilian chick in the above photo just walked up to me on the street saying to her mate; "I want photo with this Irish guy".
And that's the way it was, we drank, we sang, we caused no trouble at all and we spent hoards of money !
Sur', Who wouldn't Love us !!

Offline Belker

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 06:23:57 am »
I was very proud when the Mayor of Paris presented the Vermilion medal of the City of Paris to the Irish soccer supporters for their behaviour during the Euro 2016 tournament. I still consider myself as part of that group and I was humbled by the award.

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-fans-awarded-city-of-paris-2867433-Jul2016/

Offline Tony

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 06:50:03 am »
In 1990 I won a blue shark fishing competition in Waterford.... Ahh those were the days..
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Belker

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 07:05:00 am »
I could be telling Italia '90 stories all day long, but here's a few fer Dalymount.

We boarded our cruise ship in Genoa at about 4pm, but it was not set to sail till 2am,
so we were allowed out in to the town fer the night, myself and my Two Cork mates
Conor and Denis were walking back in to Genoa city when this Kount with whiskers
comes up behind us saying; "Hi'yiz Lads, ar yiz heading fer town ?".
Conor (not being the most sociable of people) unexpectantly said; "Ah, Yea, C'mon join in",
so he did join us and we met up with the Dooblin crew from the ship and had a mad night.
Later on I asked Conor; "What's the story with yer-man-o with the whiskers ?".
Conor replies; "Will you keep it down FFS, that's Jimmy Byrne from the Wolfe Tones !".
The Wolfe tones played a few late night/early morning trad sessions on that boat.

Eamon Campbell from the Dubliners I met and made friends with in Poznan/Poland circa 1992,
I'll never forget Eamon walking through passport control in Poznan airport, seemingly he was
not walking fast enough fer the Rifle-armed young security guard, so the security man bumped
the butt of his rifle against Eamon's arse to speed him up, Eamon turned and flared up on him !
Eamon sang 'The old Triangle' through the planes internal microphone system on the way home.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 08:31:12 am »
I started working as a lounge boy during Italia 90.The night the Itallians beat us I think.I was only 13/14.Fat oulwans pinching me hole as I was collecting glasses.
#METOO

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 05:24:58 pm »
Only one English side this year, I think.

Offline U Wha

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2018, 03:18:02 am »

Yes you are right. You would head up and come off the escalator and the bar was straight ahead and to the right were you had a view of airside.

The food court was to the left off escalator and part of the seating area had an sideview of airside towards the original terminal building.

I used to go up and have a pint when dropping people off or picking people up. Sort of gave the feeling that you were going somewhere too.

Airport was a bit more laid back then.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:22:47 am by U Wha »

Offline Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 04:06:55 am »
1990...... I split from me first love..... Heartbroken I was...... She ran off wit a leszbian..... I never got over it....
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2018, 05:50:42 am »

Yes you are right. You would head up and come off the escalator and the bar was straight ahead and to the right were you had a view of airside.

The food court was to the left off escalator and part of the seating area had an sideview of airside towards the original terminal building.

I used to go up and have a pint when dropping people off or picking people up. Sort of gave the feeling that you were going somewhere too.

Airport was a bit more laid back then.
I'm not losing it. Yes it was a lot more laid back, back then, but still a major Shithole

The Liffey Lip

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 11:43:32 am »
1990...... I split from me first love..... Heartbroken I was...... She ran off wit a leszbian..... I never got over it....

Could have been married when it happened...count yourself lucky.

Did you hear about the blonde lesbian?
She kept having affairs with men.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:05:42 pm by The Liffey Lip »

Show Unread Posts