Author Topic: dpf filter  (Read 9097 times)

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

dpf filter
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:32:17 pm »
has anybody any experience of NCTing their car with the dpf filter removed.
it's a quick visual inspection to see that the casing is still there, but the guts of it were taken out.
mine kept acting the bollix and sending the car in to limp mode.
had it taken out and noticed much better fuel economy and slight more poke.
but there is a noticeable peggy dell coming from the exhaust.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: dpf filter
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:26:27 pm »
Don't run a hose from the exhaust to the car then.

What sort of car is it i.e. make/model?

Offline cruiser

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:39:32 pm »
removed mine 3-4 years ago
no probs with nct
failed emissions once
drove straight to nct ( 4kms ) should have taken it for a run first ( add some dipathene )

Offline C5

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:14:26 pm »
If you change your oil and filter a bit before the time you won't have problems with dpfs, and use good oils not Halfords shite etc.

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:30:56 pm »
If you change your oil and filter a bit before the time you won't have problems with dpfs, and use good oils not Halfords shite etc.
That’s bollox. Changing oils and filters before their due won’t change that you can sit in traffic in the city send8ng fumes down to the dog full of soot and that’s what clogs it up

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 09:51:41 pm »
the car is an avensis.
yeah even if you over maintain your car the dpf is still destined to go belly up.
It wears itself out.
the lifespan of the yoke is 200-250 thousand kilometers no matter how many forced regenerations you do to clean out the carbon build up.

Offline C5

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 10:16:47 pm »
Not bollox vikkiz, my dpf notice was coming up when I started to drive over 80 kph the notice disappeared, it was coming on once a day, I had another 2500 kms to go before the oil change. It was coming on for 5 days I changed the oil and filter and everything went back to normal running. The oil holds carbon the oil was saturated with carbon from city driving when working. So the dpf is taking in more as a consequence. I have nearly 300,000 km on same dpf and all going fine, my wife has 340,000 on a 10 year 7 seat C4 Picasso on same dpf with no problems.

Offline Billy boy

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 01:36:57 pm »
I heard they are going to start failing cars in nct that have the dpf and egr valve bypassed. Heard that a few years back but they are still not failing. I wonder is it around the corner.

john m

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 01:58:11 pm »
use to fail regulary on emissions but now about a week before the test i use liqui molli diesel purge it cleand the injectors and loosens up the carbon then mix a drop of kerro with the diesel burns hotter than diesel so burns off the loosened carbon then add a bottle of dippo to about a scores worth of diesel the day before the test so it has worked it way into the fuel filter last 4 tests have been below .3

Brush who use to post on Roys put me on to Liqui Molli diesel purge Irecomend it to anybody having problems with emissions .

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 04:56:43 pm »
How easy is it to remove a DPF. Could you just store the clean filter for the NCT or is there a whole lot of fucking about involved?

Offline cruiser

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 05:54:36 pm »
software remap

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 06:07:32 pm »
How easy is it to remove a DPF. Could you just store the clean filter for the NCT or is there a whole lot of fucking about involved?
it's a bastard of a job. it sits between the bottom rear of the engine and the body. my mechanic had to drop part of the frame to get at it. it was a whole day job.

Offline cruiser

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 06:30:13 pm »
i was told by my mechanic
300 to take out and remap or over a grand to fix

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 07:50:03 pm »
I suspect engine oil has some bearing on the DPF. On VAG engines the maximum variable service interval was reduced to 30,000 kilos from 50,000 for models that may be fitted with DPFs - there are cases of the same engine being used with and without DPFs. Also, for DPF models the longer life (thinner, 5W30) oil is specified for both fixed and variable service intervals whereas the thicker (and cheaper) 10W40 is specified for fixed service intervals where no DPF is fitted.

Offline Vikkiz

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 08:38:41 am »
Not bollox vikkiz, my dpf notice was coming up when I started to drive over 80 kph the notice disappeared, it was coming on once a day, I had another 2500 kms to go before the oil change. It was coming on for 5 days I changed the oil and filter and everything went back to normal running. The oil holds carbon the oil was saturated with carbon from city driving when working. So the dpf is taking in more as a consequence. I have nearly 300,000 km on same dpf and all going fine, my wife has 340,000 on a 10 year 7 seat C4 Picasso on same dpf with no problems.
Does your missus sit in city traffic all day everyday for 6 hours at a time?
What motor are you driving?

Most cars driven in the city don’t get hot enough to allow the carbon to burn off, @nd this is what clogs up the dpf

Show Unread Posts