Author Topic: Blue Line direction  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: Blue Line direction
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 04:27:19 pm »
Google Maps is great on Android. It generally gives several route options with the fastest selected by default but you can switch to shortest if that's what you prefer, you can even tell clients the time difference between the various options, taking live traffic data into account. Makes you wonder how we managed when all we had was the Map Book and often nothing more than a lamppost number to find a premises.

I think the Google Maps implementation within the Free Now application selects either the fastest route or the route chosen by the client, a la Uber. In the absence of instructions to the contrary I guess you should follow the route provided but if you have an Android device you could get more options by going to the Google Maps application itself.

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 04:52:30 pm »
And if the client is on the opposite side of the road,street or avenue the distance to them could be 7.6kms because it doesn't think we're capable of doin a 180 on a very busy stretch of road and i've seen some(mainly immigrant)drivers make some courageous manoeuvres which i can only put down to them accepting an app job.

Offline Tony

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 04:58:08 pm »
And if the client is on the opposite side of the road,street or avenue the distance to them could be 7.6kms because it doesn't think we're capable of doin a 180 on a very busy stretch of road and i've seen some(mainly immigrant)drivers make some courageous manoeuvres which i can only put down to them accepting an app job.

Wexford st / George's st is a prime example of that hal
Mr. T-bag to you

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 05:27:13 pm »
That's only within the Free Now implementation, Hal. Presumably the've set the allow U-Turns parameter to false. If you run Google Navigation and you haven't disallowed U-Turns in settings it will say when possible make a U-Turn where it thinks such a manoeuvre is appropriate.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 05:37:52 pm »
It also seems to think the entrance to the Darndale Hilton is on whatever that road that used to be the N32 is called these days and thinks one should go as far as the roundabout at Clonshaugh Road and back again if you are dispatched from Blunden Drive, for example. I guess that's where a bit of local knowledge can save time but the client is still told you're 18 minutes (or whatever it calculates) away. BTW, I don't accept hospitality jobs from the Darndale Hilton or anywhere else, just the very occasional individual eHail.

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 10:18:43 pm »
Poor owl smith got the bad press ....tink he was speeding tho trying to break records ....mad cnut
I heard that they had run out of ice in the bar
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline Belker

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2020, 08:49:12 am »
Poor owl smith got the bad press ....tink he was speeding tho trying to break records ....mad cnut
Just fer you STC's;  lol

Ice in the Glass !

I had this customer in the cab One night, a young bartender who told me this fabulous story about a colleague of his who was in his words "A Total Nutjob", the story he told about his mate was of how he would watch over the mature ladies in the bar and after they had a few drinks on board and came up to order more drinks, he would say to them in a wicked quick tone whilst holding a glass in his hand; "Do ya take it in de Ass ?"
Most often they would reply; "PARDON ?"
And he would reply even faster; "Doyatakeitindeass ?"
At this stage most Ladies would be on the Back foot but still coming forward
and exclaim something like; "What Did You Just Say ?", Etc.
And then the barman would lean over the counter, still with the glass in his hand
and say passively to the lady; "I asked DO YOU WANT ICE IN THE GLASS ?"

Offline stonethecrows

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2020, 08:27:13 pm »
Just fer you STC's;  lol

Ice in the Glass !

I had this customer in the cab One night, a young bartender who told me this fabulous story about a colleague of his who was in his words "A Total Nutjob", the story he told about his mate was of how he would watch over the mature ladies in the bar and after they had a few drinks on board and came up to order more drinks, he would say to them in a wicked quick tone whilst holding a glass in his hand; "Do ya take it in de Ass ?"
Most often they would reply; "PARDON ?"
And he would reply even faster; "Doyatakeitindeass ?"
At this stage most Ladies would be on the Back foot but still coming forward
and exclaim something like; "What Did You Just Say ?", Etc.
And then the barman would lean over the counter, still with the glass in his hand
and say passively to the lady; "I asked DO YOU WANT ICE IN THE GLASS ?"
Good one Ken, only in Cork would you get away with it
He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 03:51:24 pm »
Slappers galore in the dribble county tonight:
Mandatory dyed blonde hair
BOTOX lips and cheeks
Breast implants
Orange skin
Blue fluorescent teeth
Improbable nails
Caked make up.
Even Ken would score! 8)