Author Topic: Insurance shafting  (Read 19694 times)

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
Re: Insurance shafting
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2018, 11:49:14 am »
They're unlikely to refuse a claim, DM. "Could" is the operative word. If they refuse the claim MIBI have to settle so it's not attributed to a particular policy for future loading. In practice they will use their policy loading system to recoup the underinsured portion from you.

The important point here is that, while they have access to the relevant database, they don't check your record when you renew a policy. They only check for new quotes. It is up to you to notify them of any inaccuracies in the renewal documents they send i.e. if you have earned penalty points which are not noted on the quote/policy document you are legally obliged to bring the omission to their attention.

i have known a few taxi drivers who had to leave the industry, and lost their livlehoods because they accumilated to many penalty points, and could not get insurance anywhere because of it. its a heavy price to pay just because the scumbags want their 80 euro fine

Too few IMO. Getting illegals off the road is key to allowing law abiding drivers compete on a level playing field.

Offline Belker

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »
They want YOU to declare your points total hoping you will make a false decleration,in which case they wont have to pay out because your policy would be invalad in such circumstances.in the meantime,they still get your monthly premimum

I gotta agree with DM on this, I'm with the same insurance company as a Taxi fer the last 9 years and I have never been asked about PP's.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2018, 12:57:19 pm »
I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but we're dealing with the insurance industry here.No mercy.They don't have any when they're putting drivers out of business.

In the last 20 years I've been paying over 100% extra on all my commercial/taxi policies because I'm driving for a living.Even though my record is spotless from their perspective.And I'm covering less mileage than most commuters.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:18:15 pm by mercenary for hire »

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2018, 06:02:02 pm »
Ifn they have access to all these databases, why do I have to declare everything. It should show up when they put my name and DOB into the system
They need your driving licence number. They wrote to me last year requesting it, as they hadn't got it. The points showed up on my renewal notice shortly afterwards.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Offline silverbullet

• You don't want to do it like that
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2018, 06:06:32 pm »
It would prove that you were less than honest if you omitted the fact.
They would still have no qualms in taking your money though - even though they know you lied about your points.

Licenced thieves is all they are.

dalymount

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2018, 06:24:17 pm »
Your absolutely correct silver,thats what ive been saying all along

dalymount

Insurance shafting
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2018, 06:29:22 pm »
I think the fear with most drivers is that their policies will be loaded if they declare their points,but the fact is,if you dont declare them,and you are later involved in an accident,your policy will be null,and void because you didnt declare them.you might a s well drive without insurance in that case

Offline watty

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2018, 07:01:57 pm »
Irish Times, July 2016: Motor insurance firms given access to penalty points database

Seven motor insurance firms, which between them write 90 per cent of all premiums in the State, now have access to the database which holds details of all penalty points on a driver’s licence.

The companies with access are Aviva, Axa, Allianz, FBD, Liberty, RSA and Zurich.

Edit: My post should be in the other 'insurance shafting' thread?

Offline weird al wankovitch

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2018, 07:58:41 pm »
Ya have to declare pp's. Bollixed if ye crash so ya are.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2018, 08:12:16 pm »
Just as well I don't have any..

Offline Belker

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2018, 11:47:54 am »
I wonder will insurance companies ever come up with 'Previous Penalty Points' history ?

Offline Belker

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2018, 11:49:32 am »

Do you have a story to tell Al ?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2018, 01:27:04 pm »
Edit: My post should be in the other 'insurance shafting' thread?

Topics merged.

Offline weird al wankovitch

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2018, 02:42:46 pm »

Do you have a story to tell Al ?

The Monkey and the Dolphin

A Sailor, bound on a long voyage, took with him a Monkey to amuse him while on shipboard.

As he sailed off the coast of Greece, a violent tempest arose, in which the ship was wrecked, and he, his Monkey and all the crew were obliged to swim for their lives.

A Dolphin saw the Monkey contending with the waves, and supposing him to be a man (whom he is always said to befriend), came and placed himself under him, to convey him on his back in safety to the shore.

When the Dolphin arrived with his burden in sight of land not far from Athens, he demanded of the Monkey if he were an Athenian, who answered that he was, and that he was descended from one of the noblest families in that city.

The Dolphin then inquired if he knew the Piræus (the famous harbor of Athens).

The Monkey, supposing that a man was meant, and being obliged to support his previous lie, answered that he knew him very well, and that he was an intimate friend, who would, no doubt, be very glad to see him.

The Dolphin, indignant at these falsehoods, dipped the Monkey under the water, and drowned him.

Moral of Aesop's Fable:
"He who once begins to tell falsehoods is obliged to tell others to make them appear true, and, sooner or later, they will get him into trouble.

john m

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2018, 02:57:35 pm »
AESOP FABLES I like this bloke already . lol lol lol lol

Show Unread Posts