Author Topic: New Toyota Corolla.  (Read 47920 times)

Offline Jack Meoff

Re: New Toyota Corolla.
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2020, 09:24:16 am »
Taxi driver in Cork a number of years ago was know as The man with no legs.
No one ever saw him out of his car.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2020, 10:52:22 am »
Each to their own, but I’d hate to spend 30-80 hours a week in a breadvan, I’d much prefer to spend an extra €5-€10 a day for a bit of comfort

To put it in context my December 2012 wanked out French panel van will still be on the road until December 2027 and ken will have already replaced his new car that he’s getting.

You’d have a pain in your flute sitting in a brand new merc for 80 hours a week.

Difference is you are mechanically proficient, I sell/trade in my car shortly after it's first "non standard" repair (Clutch/DPF filter/Flywheel etc) or if I hear a new noise from the engine, these problems  begin the paranoia and I quickly replace it with a new(er) vehicle I can once again have confidence in.
I find being able to write off a large portion of my income against capital depreciation a big incentive in this regard, it certainly wouldn't be an option otherwise.
I guess you could say my job pays for my nice family car, which I couldn't afford with any other job ... relevant to my qualifications.
I would imagine your car spends more time on a low loader/ ramp than those of us whose vehicles are newer ...seems logical?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:01:49 am by Theoneandonly »

Offline Belker

« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2020, 11:07:23 am »

Offline Belker

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2020, 11:09:06 am »
Good luck with the new car! sounds very nice
Thank you Martin.

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2020, 11:12:18 am »
Each to their own, but I’d hate to spend 30-80 hours a week in a breadvan, I’d much prefer to spend an extra €5-€10 a day for a bit of comfort

To put it in context my December 2012 wanked out French panel van will still be on the road until December 2027 and ken will have already replaced his new car that he’s getting.

You’d have a pain in your flute sitting in a brand new merc for 80 hours a week.

Difference is you are mechanically proficient, I sell/trade in my car shortly after it's first "non standard" repair (Clutch/DPF filter/Flywheel etc) or if I hear a new noise from the engine, these problems  begin the paranoia and I quickly replace it with a new(er) vehicle I can once again have confidence in.
I find being able to write off a large portion of my income against capital depreciation a big incentive in this regard, it certainly wouldn't be an option otherwise.
I guess you could say my job pays for my nice family car, which I couldn't afford with any other job ... relevant to my qualifications.
I would imagine your car spends more time on a low loader/ ramp than those of us whose vehicles are newer ...seems logical?

Would you not think that the depreciation on a new car as a taxi is a waste of money?
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2020, 11:21:45 am »

Would you not think that the depreciation on a new car as a taxi is a waste of money?

Yes, only ever bought the one Brand New car, never again, but I'd never buy or keep a banger either, I reckon we need a high degree of reliability in this game, you can't be going out every day wondering is this the day it dies on me.

Offline Belker

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2020, 11:23:12 am »
Good luck with the car Ken. If you had €18k, and another 3 years to go at €80pw saved =+ €12400, so total =€30,400, i.e. 1 new Corolla Hybrid in 2023?. Did your old car pack up?
Thanks Harry, the old girl with just over half a million KM on the clock was on her last legs, she was dripping oil again and a few other bits were starting to rattle, steering column and emissions were very close at last NCT and unlikely she will ever pass NCT again without a few grand spent on it. After 10 years together through thick and thin I will be sorry to let her go.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2020, 11:23:28 am »
There is a direct relationship between the type/brand of car you drive and how much maintenance is required.

More miles/work means more maintenance too.I'm probably not as handy as Panel but I haven't had great experiences with mechanics so I do it myself where possible.The fact that I prefer jap cars makes it a whole lot less stressful as they don't really break often.

My most expensive purchase in the last three years was new tyres.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:31:37 am by mercenary for hire »

Offline Belker

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2020, 11:26:00 am »
The question we all want answered...have you put up the coke wrapper and cling film barrier in the new jammer?
I'll put up the 25 Euro ammbasador FN screen on the new jammer.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2020, 11:28:57 am »
The question we all want answered...have you put up the coke wrapper and cling film barrier in the new jammer?

When will you get you ambassadorial wrap ... to ruin it!

Offline Belker

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2020, 11:28:57 am »
Best of Luck Ken, does it have a DD ?
Thanks STC.
If "DD" means direct debit, then No, it was paid fer in cash.

Offline Belker

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2020, 11:36:37 am »
........ Best of luck with the new motor Ken, I think your mad not to go hybrid but hey ho.
Thank you Panel, fer me I just love the big 'Kick-Ass' 2 Liter D4D Avensis.
And defo will go Hybrid when I get older !

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2020, 11:38:34 am »
Yer old now for fuks sake.Dont forget to book herself in to the mechanic to get the steering wheel knob transferred on to the new motor..

Offline Belker

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2020, 11:58:32 am »

When will you get you ambassadorial wrap ... to ruin it!
I dunno, I'll email them after suitability on Wednesday.
Dose 'Ruined' mean adding to the Reg plates, Door decals, Roofie, Daisies, Dash I.D., Etc.. ?

Offline Belker

« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2020, 12:04:41 pm »
Yer old now for fuks sake.Dont forget to book herself in to the mechanic to get the steering wheel knob transferred on to the new motor..
I'll manage that myself MFH.

Show Unread Posts