Author Topic: The Brexodus  (Read 354070 times)

dalymount

Re: The Brexodus
« Reply #1950 on: February 18, 2020, 01:15:57 pm »
Funny that,because any Americans I had in the car said he has brought great prosperity to the ordinary American man,and woman.I suppose that is why he will be re elected

john m

« Reply #1951 on: February 18, 2020, 01:23:24 pm »
Funny that,because any Americans I had in the car said he has brought great prosperity to the ordinary American man,and woman.I suppose that is why he will be re elected

The people we meet are wealthy they can afford to travel its the poor non conservative voter Trump is destroying .

dalymount

« Reply #1952 on: February 18, 2020, 01:49:52 pm »
Well I would have thought the ones I had,particularity the last two from west Virginia,thought there was nobody like their president

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #1953 on: February 21, 2020, 05:43:49 pm »
Any I have driven are extremely embarrassed by their president and are usually quick to point out that he is a minority president who is heavily indebted to the Chinese and Russians on account of losing the multi multi multi billion dollar family fortune he inherited.

dalymount

« Reply #1954 on: February 21, 2020, 07:33:02 pm »
Well I suppose the next presidential election will be a  defining moment for how the Americian people are thinking,although if Bernie is the best the democrats have to offer,then I dont think president Trump will jave much to worry about

john m

« Reply #1955 on: February 21, 2020, 11:00:33 pm »
A year ago, did anyone look like they would come out of Brexit better than Leo Varadkar? Here was a leader of a small country on the fringe of the EU suddenly catapulted to its centre. He was the one pushed forward by Juncker, Barnier, Merkel and Macron, as they sought to leverage advantage from the tricky problem of the Irish border. Not only was Varadkar seen to be standing up for the Republic’s interest, but by driving a wedge between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, he seemed to be setting himself up as the instigator of possible Irish reunification – he was drawing the issue away from the nationalists.

Last night, Varadkar resigned as Taoiseach after a humiliating general election defeat two weeks ago. Hardly any voters seemed interested in rewarding him for standing up for Ireland’s interests in the Brexit negotiations, and while Brexit seems to have rekindled the nationalists’ hope of Irish unity it wasn’t Varadkar and Fine Gael who prospered – it was the full-fat nationalists in the shape of Sinn Fein.

But the humiliation is not entirely over for Varadkar. For the moment, he stays on as caretaker leader until a government can be formed. In that capacity, it has fallen to him to negotiate the EU’s budget for the next seven years. These were never going to be easy negotiations given that the EU’s coffers have just been left with a Britain-sized hole. But if Varadkar was expecting any favours from the EU for his role in Brexit negotiations he has been left sorely disappointed. Ireland has been asked to pay more into the EU’s coffers while suffering sharp cuts both to payments for farmers under the Common Agricultural Policy and to infrastructure under EU cohesion funds. Varadkar has called the proposals ‘unacceptable’, but is unlikely to win any concessions given that Germany and a bundle of other Northern European ‘frugals’ are holding out strongly against any increased burden on them.

The sad thing is that Varadkar was exploited and now he has been hung out to dry. During the Brexit talks, he was drafted in to do the EU’s dirty work for it. The EU hit upon the issue of the Irish border as a device to try to trap the UK in EU regulations forever and Varadkar was used in order to help exaggerate the border issue. It never did make much sense why Britain would have to remain in full alignment with EU regulations purely to avoid a hard border in Ireland when Switzerland has a free-flowing border with several EU countries in spite of not being a member of the EU, the single market or the customs union. Even so, the EU nearly pulled off its trick. Had parliament voted for Theresa May’s deal – which even Boris and Jacob Rees-Mogg did at the third time of asking – the EU would now be rubbing its hands having neutralised the threat of a competitive, free-trading and deregulated Britain.

But the ruse failed, and with it, Varadkar’s stock has taken a horrible plunge. Let his fate serve as a warning to the leaders of other small EU countries – don’t expect any reward for acts of loyalty towards the EU’s leaders.

dalymount

« Reply #1956 on: February 21, 2020, 11:59:01 pm »
Now that we are net contributors and being asked to pay more for less,is there any chance we could also consider our pisition within the EU.somebody has to plug the hole left by the brits,and id say the EU see us as contenders to fill that role

john m

« Reply #1957 on: February 22, 2020, 07:19:26 am »
Now that we are net contributors and being asked to pay more for less,is there any chance we could also consider our pisition within the EU.somebody has to plug the hole left by the brits,and id say the EU see us as contenders to fill that role

In Europe we were the posterboys for the Begging Bowl every government building project was aided by the EU cohesion funds we got more out of the EU per head than any other member country .Our waster Farmers got paid to sit on their arses and do nothing with Setaside and other funds .Our Road builders got paid more per mile to build than any other country .We used cohesion funds to pay to much for hospitals ,schools,internet as our low life scum government who rob other peoples tax money robbed other peoples EU funds .Get the Picture Dalymount the Irish are the Dirt of Europe our Government are low life robbing scum .I posted early in this thread as soon as the Brits left the EU would come after us .The Brits looked after us acted as a smoke screen for what we were doing .

john m

« Reply #1958 on: February 22, 2020, 08:35:07 am »
The Department of Finance appears to have ignored advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs by agreeing a double taxation arrangement with Ghana, a treaty that critics say will rob the African country of revenues.

A report by Christian Aid on the eve of a UN General Assembly meeting on finance and development for poor nations said that not only will the tax agreement, signed in February, cut tax revenues in Ghana, but it would also enable profit shifting and tax avoidance. Ghana is the poorest of all the countries with double tax agreements with Ireland and it is a recipient of aid from here.

Citing a letter from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) which Christian Aid obtained using the Freedom of Information Act, the campaign group said DFAT raised a red flag over the agreement back in 2012.

"This model generally favours residence-based rather than source-based taxation, meaning that the effect of many DTAs (double taxation agreements) is that capital flows from developing to developed nations," the department said in a report in 2012 as work on the treaty with Ghana got under way.

This means that rather than being taxed in a country where goods and services are consumed, a company's activities are taxed in the country where it has an operating base. In many cases, that would be Ireland for companies such as Apple, where this country is the home base for sales in African countries.

john m

« Reply #1959 on: February 22, 2020, 08:38:23 am »
Have a look at all the other countries we are helping to avoid paying their taxes ....https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tax-agreements/double-taxation-treaties/index.aspx

dalymount

« Reply #1961 on: February 22, 2020, 01:11:18 pm »
John it soinds to me like you think we should have left in conjunction with the brits ?

john m

« Reply #1962 on: February 22, 2020, 01:43:52 pm »
John it soinds to me like you think we should have left in conjunction with the brits ?

If we left we would be shit on .We Depend on the EU without them we would be wiping our arse with our bare hands then licking our fingers for nutrients .Look around you Dollymount apart from Butchers and Pubs most Business in Ireland are International or depend on international imports of Goods and services .Irish Farmers depend on EU handouts .We should remain in the EU but we shouldnt of allowed the Indian Halfwit play two sides against the middle .We now have both the EU and UK using us as a football to kick around to score points .Leo should of done a DUP just said NO to the EU and NO to the UK .As I said thousands of times Ireland's main industry is Tax avoidance any change in UK tax law or OECD recommendations and we go bankrupt .For years we hid behind the UK and their tax fiddle France/Germany every other country is fiddling but they are not preventing a free trade agreement with the EU and UK unfortunately Irish History is so expect the EU and UK to play tug of war with us by eroding our tax base until we comply or die as we are told .Im sure the EU would like to see the back of us but unfortunately we are in the Single Currency and they cant have a member of the Euro leaving and defaulting .I think Brexit ,Trump Trade Wars .The Euro Currency could collapse and take the EU with it .My best guess Irish government will agree to a Hard Border either in Irish Ports or on the Border .

dalymount

« Reply #1963 on: February 22, 2020, 06:00:06 pm »
But already the hole in funds left by the brits will ha e to be plugged.just suppose the brits go on to do really well outside the EU,and another major country or two see this and decide to leave also whathappens then. ? we could never afford to stay considering we would have to pay even more to plug that hole also

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #1964 on: February 22, 2020, 06:34:23 pm »
I'd have to disagree with the Erm on the subject of ordinary Americans. My cousin Michael owns and runs a small Lumber mill in New Jersey and is an avid supporter of Trump policies.

He believes that since Trump was elected his business has gone from strength to strength.

Unemployment in his area is virtually non-existent among those who want to work.

Show Unread Posts