Author Topic: Get yourself checked  (Read 109967 times)

dalymount

Re: Get yourself checked
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2020, 08:40:24 pm »
Since when is that a rank ?

Offline Shallowhal

« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2020, 09:40:12 pm »
If you want it to be a rank....it's a fukin rank....kapiche!!

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2020, 09:52:50 pm »
If it's open taxis will be required.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #603 on: August 02, 2020, 07:17:30 pm »
The sign outside is a dead giveaway.

dalymount

« Reply #604 on: August 02, 2020, 08:32:21 pm »
The sign outside is illegal,erected by the owners of harry byrnes with no authority from DCC,or the NTA  to do so.this is NOT  a taxi rank,it is a place where taxis tend to congregate to illegally stand for hire

Offline U Wha

« Reply #605 on: August 03, 2020, 02:33:05 am »
Marko I have never denied that there is much more work with a dispatcher.I have said it here myself many times.but I just as a self employed taxi driver,I want to be exactly that,self employed.I dont believe anyone who joins a dispatcher,can realistically call themselves self employed

But you are self employed in either situation, non dispatch or dispatch.

Taxi Drivers are generally not employed by dispatch companies. Even if a driver rents a complete package like a Car, Insurance and Radio/App. The driver has no conditions that state they must work at any time. Just pay the rent each week.

Most drivers only pay the dispatch company for access to the work that the dispatcher has built up over time through the promotion of a phone number and/or app.

The unique selling point that dispatchers/Apps have over individual taxi drivers is the 24/7 availability of cars. No individual taxi driver can compete with that, at some point they need to sleep and have time off. What happens when your regular punter calls on your day off, he is pissed off and goes somewhere else, fact is punters are fickle and expect a service when they need it so we are only as good as our last job.

Dispatchers meet that 24/7 instant need. It is a win win win situation for the passenger, driver and dispatcher. The passenger gets a car when they need it, dispatchers get paid for promoting the service from the drivers and the punters pay the drivers, each job is classed as self employment because the punter pays the driver and drivers work when they want to work.

The dispatcher is a facilty connecting drivers to passengers. One of many sources of potential income for a driver. I have often utliised more than one dispatcher or app at the same time and take what suits me.

The dispatchers and apps have rules in place to protect the work and for the common good and a lot of the rules are only introduced because some skank driver has f**ked up.

As for uniforms I say yea yea but never wear them and as long as the car and myself are clean and presentable and I am not wearing a string vest it is never an issue.

In my own experience you aren't told when to work and there is rarely a problem refusing work unless the driver does it 4 or 5 times a day everyday for no good reason.

Discounts were a result of the economic situation after the last recession. Supply and demand was out of kilter with tens of thousands of taxis. Those discounts had almost disappeared as the market returned to equilibrium. We may see a bit of it again until the economy recovers from Covid.

Dispatchers and Apps are a fact of life now. Punters don't want to wait on a rank or hail on the street anymore especially in the winter.

Maybe the question is if we can't beat them should we join them?  If there has to be Dispatchers and Apps then become the dispatcher/App. Better to be owned and controlled by drivers. Unfortunately it seems the answer is no. Taxi drivers are self employed 'competitors and have no solidarity.

A state owned not for profit Dispatcher/ App might be a solution. Unlikley to happen with the blueshirts in power, too Tory like. FF or SF might be persuaded if they were in power on their own.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:47:58 am by U Wha »

Offline Cool Boola

• B me
« Reply #606 on: August 03, 2020, 02:45:27 am »
U WHAT...twat...an on...
Dis an Dat Im not a rat

Offline U Wha

« Reply #607 on: August 03, 2020, 02:53:54 am »

Offline Belker

« Reply #608 on: August 03, 2020, 06:17:25 am »
Good post U Wha.

The only point I would disagree with is that Discounts may come back.
I don't do discounts anymore, I don't even do Bed Logos.
Full meter plus PUC + Extra pax, I have no interest in anything else.

I can live with the commission but no discounts.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #609 on: August 03, 2020, 06:31:56 am »
Belker you're going to be doing discounts again fairly soon.In fact you'll be the first on here telling us how dumb we all are for not covering them.

Offline Theoneandonly

« Reply #610 on: August 03, 2020, 07:21:22 am »
Good post U Wha.

Only because that is the Free Now current offering, you do as you are told.
What you should be doing is offering Free Now customers 15% off if they use you directly, instead of giving it to a multi national give it to YOUR customer

Offline Belker

« Reply #611 on: August 03, 2020, 07:26:06 am »
Belker you're going to be doing discounts again fairly soon.In fact you'll be the first on here telling us how dumb we all are for not covering them.
That's unlikely !

Offline Belker

« Reply #612 on: August 03, 2020, 07:33:22 am »
Good post U Wha.

Only because that is the Free Now current offering, you do as you are told.
What you should be doing is offering Free Now customers 15% off if they use you directly, instead of giving it to a multi national give it to YOUR customer
I work a tad less than 40 hours a week, so if'n I give a customer my number they have a 5 in 1 chance of catching me at work.
Instant hails and what used to be street work are my Bread and Butter.

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #613 on: August 03, 2020, 07:35:16 am »
It think it's unlikely that you can survive without app work Belker.As soon as 15% now announce they're dropping the PUC you have no choice but to cover the work.You are their bitch now.No going back unfortunately.

I've said it before...lads talk about customer service and fancy motors but the only weapon dispatchers and especially apps to steal business when things go quiet is to offer discounts.

It's what happened ten years ago.When supply(drivers) is bigger than demand(passengers) prices will fall.Learned that in school 30 years ago.Still true today.Will be true in another 30 years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:41:10 am by mercenary for hire »

Offline Belker

« Reply #614 on: August 03, 2020, 07:44:30 am »
It think it's unlikely that you can survive without app work Belker.As soon as 15% now announce they're dropping the PUC you have no choice but to cover the work.You are their bitch now.No going back unfortunately.
Why would I want to go backwards ?

No ordinary driver could have survived the last 19 weeks without FN (unless they had their own Gig on the go),
personally I did very well, over a BAS a week fer less than 40 hours, I have no complaints.

Show Unread Posts