Author Topic: Travellers  (Read 130164 times)

Offline watty

Re: Travellers
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 05:58:05 pm »
Sorry for your troubles, RC.  Glad it worked out (mostly) in the end.

That's one reason why I don't have any personal stuff like banking apps on my phone.  If my phone got stolen, a quick trip to Google's website would turn off most of the apps.  On a technical note, if you had it password-protected (or similar), is it easy for the average person to get around that?  Or is a factory reset the only option to get into the phone?

Re the dashcam wouldn't have captured the guy trying to steal the phone since he was standing outside of the car.  With our legal system, it might hard to prove he attempted to steal the phone since the dashcam would only have him sitting in the taxi?

On another cautionary note, I have a vague memory from a few years ago that cnuts who stealing phones from cars that were stuck in traffic with their windows open.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 07:04:46 pm »
The best thing to do if the phone is lost is to lock it remotely from the relevant "find my phone" web service - Google for Android, Apple for iPhone. You can set a custom lock screen with contact number. Only a determined thief would get past that.

I went a stage further and remotely wiped the device. I since learned that (on Android) this essentially cleans the phone up nicely for anyone that finds (or has) it. If you do that you should make sure the SIM is disabled first - reason being, if an honest person finds it (as in my case) it won't have internet access when they turn it on so it won't wipe itself and they will still be able to access your contacts - if a dishonest person has it, they'll either factory reset it themselves or it'll do that itself once they connect it to the internet, in general they won't get sensitive info (certainly no access to bank account data) without internet access. However, Hail0 used to store readily accessible links to all our data on our phones, including photo, name, address, bank account number, sort code, copies of licences, etc, etc... I don't know if mytaxi still does that.

It all gets quite complex here but the phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4) appeared to be switched off when I collected it (no breathing light) then appeared to switch itself back on as soon as it got in range of my WIFI (which it obviously had access to) and displayed the Samsung logo until it was done wiping itself and then went straight to a setup menu starting with the option to change language from Chinese. Now its gets stranger - I've previously factory reset cheap Chinese phones and a few screens into the setup process they insist on logging on with a Google account previously associated with the phone to proceed. The expensive Samsung didn't give a fuck, it was open for any user to set up.

Half the answer might be to use a cheap Chinese phone to minimise financial loss if it's stolen. That's all I would buy myself, I only have the Samsung 'cos the older young lad upgraded to something better/newer/more fashionable and my las Chinese one had a fall from which it never fully recovered - the botton quarter of the screen no longer responds to touch!

In fact, I ordered a Cubot Max on Amazon yesterday (c.€130)... managed to cancel it when I learned that the Samsung had been found alive and well.

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 09:22:57 pm »
I can believe that Ken a few years ago,2 of them took me out to balbriggan ,when I asked for payment,the response was be glad your still alive boss as they just got out and walked away
Stokes  perchance?

Offline silverbullet

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 09:30:16 pm »
Phone was hooked into the vent beside the window, Ken. Not particularly secure but I suspect he would have got it regardless of how well it was stuck. He came round to the window pretending to pay and took some notes out of his pocket so I rolled the window down enough to facilitate that, then he made a grab for my keys and I made a grab for his hand so he went to open the door with his other hand so I went for the central locking and he grabbed the phone and made off down a lane. As I don't know the area I made no attempt to pursue him. I just took the "learning to ride a horse" approach and worked the streets in Swords for the rest of the night. As he discarded the phone it obviously wasn't what he was after... similarly, if he just wanted to do a runner he wouldn't have came near the window at all so, on balance, I figured I dodged a bullet... while he done a bit more to alienate his "race".
Same M.O. As my attack in Dunsink..Mongan was the name of my attacker...allegedly.

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 12:08:33 am »
I think the best option is to refuse to drive them if you don't know them. I had a previous bad experience with a few of them in Howth years ago, when I asked for the fare they went ballistic and kicked fuck out of the safety screen in the black cab I was driving. Despite being glass it stood up to the abuse and I got away unharmed. Conversely we did have a few regulars from the (settled) traveller community when I worked for C2K and they were never any trouble. I don't like to discriminate but I won't be taking any more chances with them.

Offline Dr. Martin Gooter Bling

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 01:09:22 am »
rule of thumb is if they tell you they're travellers they're gameball.
the ones that don't, you need to go in to lockdown.

dalymount

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:28 am »
Problem is,if you refuse the cunts you could find yourself before the equality tribunal same as a lot of publicians,and hoteliers do

Offline mercenary for hire

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 09:50:54 am »
I'd love to get called into the equality tribunal.I'd tell them to fuk right off.I don't see how they're a separate ethnicity no matter how I try to grasp it.

Offline markmiwurdz

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 10:22:41 am »
Problem is,if you refuse the cunts you could find yourself before the equality tribunal same as a lot of publicians,and hoteliers do

You can rightly ask for approx payment before you set out.Buzz killer I know but at least you know straight away if you're going to be butt F*****

Online Octavia1

• Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:53 am »
Your safety comes brfore all else.....
Most yiz here have more experience than meself wat to do but wen I get a bad  (client)  i just stop the car...... Right in the middle of the road.... Preferably on the tram line in the middle of o connoll Street bridge or beside a rank if available is most effective ....get the cunt out wer there's witnesses and before yu travel out to the bog end lane....
They don't even have to done anything....
 if in doubt.....
Fuk em out...
An that goes for pukers....
I've only been called in once for asking my clients to disembark...
And there's no fukin court,,,,,nta rule or employees , racial victim racket money  makin club .. Goin tell me who's I'm goin take a chance wit me health and safety.....
And I'm guaranteeing you..... No judge can order or penisilise you for protecting you self
All you have to say is and remember this it's very important in law.....
" I WAS AFRAID "
Ide rather be a poor master than a rich servant

Offline Rat Catcher

• Part Time Amateur Scum
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 10:37:27 am »
Whether they are ethnically distinct or not is a matter for debate. Incest isn't the norm outside of their cultural group. Proportionately they are involved in a hell of a lot more crime than any other identifiable cultural or ethnic group. There's obviously something in their culture that leads them to believe that it's normal to steal, scam, harass, etc... I couldn't give a flying fuck about the equality tribunal. Those of us who aren't politicians, economists or bankers learn from experience.

Offline Belker

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 01:13:05 pm »
And I'm guaranteeing you..... No judge can order or penisilise you for protecting you self
All you have to say is and remember this it's very important in law.....
" I WAS AFRAID "

And why wouldn't you be afraid ?  I saw a knacker fight in Blackpool in Cork last year and it was nothing like the fights they post on utube which claim 'fair fight', 'let the man up', the fight I witnessed saw two lads digging the heads off each other and as soon as one fell then the other fella stomped on his head while he was down at least Ten times, unfookinbeliveably yerman got up and fought on.

dalymount

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 04:31:07 pm »
As far as I know,(and I may be wrong) the fact that they now have the status of ethnic monority bestowed upon them,means they are now entitled to a whole hosts of state benefits including unemployment payments etc etc as I said I may be wrong,but thats what I was told

Offline Belker

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 05:08:10 pm »
As far as I know,(and I may be wrong) the fact that they now have the status of ethnic monority bestowed upon them,means they are now entitled to a whole hosts of state benefits including unemployment payments etc etc as I said I may be wrong,but thats what I was told

They already had that, they claim Dole/Un-married mothers/Disability, Etc. both here and in the UK.
And spend their spare time robbing Building sites and Houses by night.

Offline Bob Shillin

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 06:11:16 pm »
Rhino horns.
"So look into the mirror, do you recognise someone, is it who you always thought you would become, when you were young?"

Show Unread Posts